Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 1957 Chevrolet Steering Column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ejgloss, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Does anyone have suggestions on how to repair the turn signal cancelling tabs (part of the mast) which seems susceptible to breaking off ?
    Mine appear to have been brazed once and now broke off again.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. A picture would help, but I think you mean the piece that attaches to the steering wheel?

[​IMG]
    Danchuk has it.

3. squirrel

squirrel

are you talking about the three tabs on the outer tube, or something else? If it's just the tabs on the part on the steering wheel, you can buy that new. If it's the mast jacket, you probably need a used one, or someone who's good at welding to fix the old one.

57 column.jpg

4. I just spent a couple of days playing with a 56 column and i have no idea what you are talking about with out pics. Every part of the turn signal assembly is reproduced. Post a pic of what you need i may have a spare.

5. Yes, those tabs on the mast are exactly what I’m referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Got rid of all my 55-57 Chevy stuff to Robert Palmer of Grand Gorge NY. I think there was a column or two in the load of parts. He's on here I just don't know his user name.

Pat

7. squirrel

squirrel

I have that tube....I'm not 100% sure it's from a 57, but I think so.

and I don't need it right now.

the one in NY would be a lot closer to you

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Replace or repair? Yes it's been brazed but there are better method's boding to pieces of metal back together. Quick plug jig, some clamps, a local welder?

9. While your at it, take a file and make a groove in the slots on the side toward the steering wheel end. It only needs to be about 3/16 wide, but will give the nut plate a place to "lock" into once the screws are tight.