Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1957 9" Ford rear end whine - How to fix it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Legs, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Hey everyone,
    I've been driving my 54 Ford about 500 miles and it uses a narrowed 57 9" Ford 28 spline axles and limited slip diff with a set of "used" Strange 3.70 gears, and crush sleeve and at 70mph the whine is so loud in the car its deafening..... I didn't think it was that bad but after a 150 mile trip our ears were ringing and we noticed we were yelling at each other lol. I need to get this fixed asap but I want to make sure that buying a new gear set will fix this issue.

This gear set was used and I didn't setup this diff but a friend did that has done plenty of them in the past. He said there was some rust on the gears and he set the mesh pattern so it would miss the rusted area. Anyway from the first mile it seems to scream at me under acceleration only, and goes completely away on deceleration. Thats gears correct?
    I've been beating on this rear lately at the dragstrip and it developed a small "clunk" (similar to a bad u-joint sound) so I looked everything over and the pinion changed a bit so we tightened up the pinion nut and the clunk has since stopped but the whine is still there.
    Anyway I just wanted you're opinion before I spent any money on trying to fix this issue.

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Red flags:
    "rust on gears"
    "set up to miss it"
    That's where I stopped reading. Gears are precision items - there's NO place for rust on them and certainly jockeying contact patterns to "miss the rust" is a formula for disaster.

Get another set of gears - preferably NEW. Learn to set them up yourself - it's not rocket science, but does take some effort and special tools - borrow what you don't have.

Learn to fish. You'll be happier for it.

3. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Rust and set contact pattern to miss rust is a red flag to me, but the part where you said the the pinion bolt was loose and drag racing leads me to believe you might have some bearing issues in the pinion shaft

4. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

yeah I agree with what you guys are saying for sure. New gears it is.
    A fellow drag racer informed me that the crush sleeve should be swapped out for shims that way there's no issues with depth changing etc.

I've always done all my own work but the differential setup stuff has always been a mythical creature to me so I've always had it done for me. Maybe this would be a perfect time to learn ;)

thanks guys :)

5. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

update on the diagnosis.... I took the rearend apart and found out what the "whinning" was all about. The splines on the 28 spline axles look good so I pulled the diff and noticed 1 of the 1/2" main cap bolts was loose.... then I noticed the carrier moved back and forth (left & right) about 1/4" which was letting the ring gear move over and of course changing the pattern on the teeth 100%.... so my guess is the bolt came loose then let the spanner threaded adjuster skip some threads and of course then created space so the carrier moved. So when this was put together last I'd say a couple of things may have been overlooked. It was amazing this thing was still together as hard as I've been beating on it.

Anyway I went back to the same guy who did it the first time and helped him installed the new gear set, swapped the crush sleeve out for shims, red lock-tite'd everything and torqued it all down, pattern looked good and I've got it all installed last night but haven't drove it yet.
    My guess is the issues are gone - "Back to the Fifties" in St Paul here we come!

6. big M

big M

Hopefully this will cure your problem, but if it was driven for a long while with these issues, it may have put a bad wear pattern into both the ring and pinion.

Your test drive will let you know either way.

---John

7. squirrel

squirrel

...that's why he installed the new gear set :cool:

Hope it works, sounds like it should. I have had excellent luck with good used original Ford gears. As long as they're not rusty or worn out.

8. indyjps

indyjps

Glad you got an eye on it before it self destructed,I read this post when it came out and almost posted to throw a handful of sand in it and let it self clearance. Update when you get some miles on it.

9. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Update: We got back yesterday from the "Back to the 50's" in St Paul with about 750 miles on the new gears and I'm glad to say the rear end was quiet as a mouse with no issues at all. Granted I haven't crawled underneath the car for inspection of everything yet but assuming everything is good. thanks for the help guys!