Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1957/58 Ford steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pstadnyk, Nov 13, 2015.

1. pstadnyk

pstadnyk

I am pretty sure the steering box in my 57 Ranchero (Gemmer worm and roller style) is past its expiration. I have installed a new front end kit (tie rod ends, bushings, etc) but when I take the car down the road there is a tremendous amount of play in the steering (its manual BTW)

I have read in the past – yet I am unable to locate the thread – that a 57-to-58 steering box upgrade is pretty simple and desirable (as it tightens the steering ratio). Has anyone done this conversion who can comment and or provide any advice or links?

Many thanks in advance.

2. DeucesCoupe

DeucesCoupe

3. 57-58 steering boxes are not exact to each other even though they will bolt in in place of each other. Have you checked out the New Borgeson box for 57-59 Fords?
    The Wizzard

4. pstadnyk

pstadnyk

Looking to keep this budget, those boxes are way too expensive!

5. pstadnyk

pstadnyk

Thanks that's helpful... I will be sure to check for all looseness in the front end before jumping to installing a new box. For those out there dealing with this issue, this was really helpful too:

6. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

We did this swap in a 406 powered 57 Ford, but it was 53 years ago in 1962 so Im a little hazy on details. The 58 is a much better steering box though. It is possible to put the long hipo cast iron manifolds on if you want to work hard enough, we did it and Ill tell you how if you want to know

7. I'd sure like to know how you did that. It's not just the steering box that's in the way.
    The Wizzard

8. town sedan

town sedan

As I understand it, the biggest issue is the horn wire. Column isn't hollow on the '58 and up unit. But, I hear the '58 up box is a better box.
    -Dave

9. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

You mill the snot out of the exhaust side of the heads and the left exhaust manifold, grind the steering box down at the one close spot, then grind a spot on the manifold about as big as a 50 cent piece where it close to the steering box, then braze in an upside down freeze plug. I don't recall any other mods needed but that's been half my life ago and Im 71 now. You might need to rework the clutch linkage a bit. The right side fits in with no mods. They are heavy but they don't leak and back when we did it you either did that or run the flat manifolds and lose about 50 hp, there were no headers available. I later built one with a 427 and used Ballenger brothers headers which were a nightmare of slip together tubes. Ok when new but a 3 hour project after they had been run a while. 2 pipes from each side crossed over to the other side

10. I have made an attempt at that combo a few times. Even on the Right hand side the Casting of the manifold innerfered with the top A-Frame on the frame. I'm no stranger to Machine work or Fab work. I would have done anything to run my Cast 61 H.O. manifolds. My question is how did you deal with the Head bolts when machining the exhaust runners back. In 1960 the frames got wider to accomodate the F.E. and better exhaust. Your right, you could never buy a good set of Headers for the F.E. in 57-59 cars. Here is what I've always had to do. This is a current project of my own. Equal length primarys and you can get the starter out without taking the header loose. No small task. The headers are now done but I'd still do what it takes to run the factory manifolds if I could actually see a set installed and done well. My hat's off to you Sir for getting it done.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

warbird1 and seb fontana like this.
  11. Ford64

Ford64
    from Tn

Hi! The 58 ford steering gear is a big improvement over the 57 gear as it is a recirculating ball type . To see a photo of this gear look on Ebay at item # 171726600219 . It shows part clearly. I changed out a couple of these in the early 60s and they do work a lot better. Bill --- Ford64

12. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

There was some A frame grinding too plus you only mill what you can on the left exhaust side of the head. I wish I could remember exactly what was done but its just been too long ago. The whole thing started when a local know it all said theres no way youll ever get them on there and he was damn near right. Was it worth the effort, no, but when you can shut a know it all up its priceless. When he asked what we did we just said bolted them on. I can assure you that they will go on there if you want them on bad enough but not with a 57 steering box. We also had to reinforce the clutch linkage too by welding a plate across the length of the z bar {part that goes from the frame to the ball that bolts to the engine }. At 71 Im lucky if I can remember what I ate for breakfast. I hated changing header gaskets too is another reason we did it and they always leaked no matter what you did back then. The flanges weren't as thick as what you have in the picture. I have a friend who is doing one now and he is using FPA headers, not state of the art by any means but they work

13. pstadnyk

pstadnyk

Well I just took delivery on my 58 box and found that while the bolt holes match up, the distance from the holes to the steering column is different (by 3/4") and the pitman arm sits 1/4 lower (so whole thing if 1" longer than the 57 box). Additionally, its too bulky to clear my BBK shorty headers and now I need to decide A) scrap the headers and go manifolds (still no guarantee they will fit) or B) go back to my shitty 57 box and keep the headers.