Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 2 door 150 handyman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 17, 2019.

1. 8 out of ten. yes 8 out of ten parts I order are wrong, broken, mis boxed, wrong part in the right box, old part, someone else order, delivered wrong or damaged, bad finishes, and as you experienced fail during assembly. not just Danchuk but every parts supplier, Napa, auto zone, LMC.
    solution: fix and or find old original parts.

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Score - Chinese 1 Americans 0. Everything from Danchuk is made in China by small children.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Amen brother!!! I installed the springs a week ago. I haven't found the other half of the spring lol.

loudbang likes this.
  4. You're hilarious. Never had this problem with a model A. source.gif

loudbang likes this.
  5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

man... I hate repop parts.....just like @tb33anda3rd said find and fix and use original parts....

6. Yeah it'd be nice if there had been a few swap meets lol

7. Steering update... Mr Lewis didn't bring me the manual box because the guy he has swapping it out won't get on the job, so, i pulled the big bitch in the garage, up on stands, and took the front linkage apart at the drag link, and pulled the pitman arm off the box. Still tight. So i put it all back together. Then i run the adjustment all the way out until it stopped. Guess what? Works great! So, i assume it's just the box is junk. Oh well. Went for a ride down the road, this thing has some gear! But the steering is working, and Big Daddy is happy with that ;)

8. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good new's Brother!!! Was that an original 6 cylinder car? If it was, it probably has a 3:70 or 4:11 gear in it. They play a pretty sweet tune at about 60 MPH... ;) Especially with those short tire's...

loudbang likes this.
  9. Yeah i was thinking it would be the 3:36 but there's no way. I had to stop and take off again to make sure it shifted out lol. It was a 6 cylinder/3 speed manual. I changed the rear end grease today also. It'll one leg for distance ;) like i said, I'm happy:D I thought i was hating the car and wishing i had built another model a, turns out i hated the steering lmao!

loudbang likes this.
  10. Alright Mark, you're the king of custom, I'm thinking about making a grille. Kinda like floating teeth. Had the idea of 1/2" round bar. Running a piece from one side to the other, and bending short pieces for the vertical teeth and welding them to the cross piece. Probably shoot it with the alsa corp chrome. Thoughts?

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  11. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you do get a good original steering box for it, you will be surprised at how nice they drive in factory form. Just make sure you have someone you trust align the front end. :cool:

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  12. The voices in my head tell me not to trust anybody :D I'm building a 72 blazer for a guy that has a sweet big block 55. He took it to somebody to have it switched to power steering and he told me i can have the box that he's pulling out. Just gotta wait i guess ;)

13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell, if that's ALL that the voice's in your head tell you, you're in damn good shape!!! LOL! :D

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Be sure to use the bearing conversion kit for the idler arm; the so-called, poor mans power steering. It makes the steering a lot smoother, but does't really do anything to be confused with "power" steering. None of all my Tri-Five cars (at least 15, and 10 have been 56's) , have had power steering, all have been the stock manual box, and I've never had an issue with them. I'm NOT a big guy, NOT a muscular guy, and I don't need power steering. Same with the brakes; just well set up, stock manual brakes. Even on my first Bracket Car.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

71DE9204-B971-4EF5-9144-8C7500874ABC.jpeg

I would do this

16. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Something like just the outline of teeth? That might look cool.

A round bar, with “teeth”, side profile like O—>

Chrome just the “tooth” > part, paint the rest black, so you’d see just the outline of the tooth floating in the grill hole.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  17. I'd love that but i don't have access to any 58 Buick parts lol

loudbang likes this.
  18. Got some small parts, glove box latch, retainer springs for the gas door, Chevrolet script for the dash, and some stickers from Ryan, supporting the cause ;) Screenshot_20200723-110738_Gallery.jpg 20200723_105936.jpg Screenshot_20200723-110756_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200723-110748_Gallery.jpg

chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  19. Hoza bout a 53-7 corvette bar and teeth? I’ve seen em used in 55 chevies. I know where you could get one, wink wink 0874E917-AEC0-4D07-9372-DD0EF1E5F130.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  20. No shit? You got an extra?

loudbang likes this.
  21. Yessir

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    loudbang and chevy57dude like this.
  22. some extra teeth, a little fab work and you’ve got an awesome grill
    D06F7B52-10B9-44BF-B652-AEBFDC65215D.jpeg

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  23. @Lloyd's paint & glass
    By the way I’ve got a stock steering box that could be cut and mated to your column

loudbang likes this.
  24. Squablow

Squablow

I looked into some custom grilles for my '57 and the issue I ran into is that the tooth/bar styles are all fairly deep and require removing the factory mesh grille that the original grille bar attaches to. I think that's why the '57 and '58 Buick grilles look so nice in a '57, because they're at the same depth as the original.

I think a '60 Thunderbird grille bar could be attached to the original '57 mesh (or just cut the T-bird mesh down to the '57 dimensions) and would give the toothy look without having to eliminate the mesh screen. They're attached to their own mesh screen style grille and are not very deep. Plus they're anodized aluminum so they're light and they're already shiny.

Not that they're super easy to find, but probably easier than the pot metal Buick grilles at this point.

Here's one on a custom 'bird with the background blacked out. I think it'd look even better without the 'bird's bumper guards cluttering it up.

60Tbirdgrille.jpg

Stogy, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  25. Yeah we talked about that before but I'm good for now on that i believe. Unless this other guy doesn't come through. If you wanna figure out how much you want for the grille teeth and box and how much it would be to ship em, I'm sure it won't be cheap! Lol

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  26. Yeah me and Scott have been talking by text, the stock vette grille is too short, but it looks like 14 teeth and a fabricated bar would look great. I'm not planning on running the mesh grille. IMG_8381.jpg

loudbang, scotty t and tb33anda3rd like this.
  27. Squablow

Squablow

I might have some extra Corvette teeth I could sell that are decent driver quality, no guarantees, I'd have to dig around and look, but I think I might have some. Not a set and no bar, but if you find a starting point and need some extras I can check.

28. I’ve got extras:)

29. Don’t forget to plate one of those teeth gold. It ain’t a real grille without a gold tooth. :)

Stogy, loudbang, hotrodjack33 and 5 others like this.
  30. Lmao! You ain't right brother

Stogy, loudbang, hotrodjack33 and 4 others like this.