Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Victoria drum brakes converted to disc?

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by JC56, Dec 10, 2017.

1. JC56

JC56
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 1956 Ford Victoria that currently has the stock drum brakes. I seen some conversion kits that range from $350-$1,000. Has anyone done the conversion or have any advice on where to get the kits and if it is even worth the hassle of doing the conversion.

Thanks in advance!
    JC

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  2. Engineered Components, Inc. (ECI) has the conversions for '54-'64 Ford. Basic kits are $180-$275 and complete kits are $425-$575. They've been in the brake business for a long time. www.ecihotrodbrakes.com tel: 860-872-7046 Vernon, CT.

I don't know for sure, but I'd bet the farm that Speedway Motors also has a conversion for your Ford. They have been in the hot rod/racing business even longer than ECI and they are closer to you. www.speedwaymotors.com tel: 800-979-0122 Lincoln, NE.

As far as whether it is worthwhile to do the conversion, that's an individual decision. The true traditionalist will tell you that disc brakes were not available back in the day and that the drum brakes work just as well. The non-conformist will tell you that it's a safety issue and the disc brakes are much better than the old drums. They are certainly easier to maintain.

BTW, welcome to the HAMB.

3. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I'm resto-fying my 56 Victoria and it's gonna be a car show cruiser .I'm going with fully rebuilt drum brakes if u ain't drag racing u dont need discs.

4. Do you guys completely disregard the Page you post on??? Conversations belong on the MAIN board.
    Not here on "INTRODUCE YOURSELF"

Register now to get rid of these ads!