Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Thunderbird photos wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51delivery, Feb 5, 2013.

1. 51delivery

51delivery

My wife and I are looking at buying a 1956 Thunderbird for her summer driver. Does anyone have any photos of HAMB friendly early birds? I want to show her what mods can be done. It is a stock appearing car with hubcaps.

2. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

I got smoked at the HAMB Drags by an (original lookin stocker), I hated that. He's my neighbor. I cant find the picture.. Go for it.

3. twochops

twochops

Use search here on H.A.M.B ,I know that there more than one.
    I have a 57 for sale------TwoChops

4. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

This is how beautiful when they are total stock. This 1956 T Bird is fiesta red in color. This is a 294 point car.:)

Attached Files:

5. Not a 56 but close. Lowered 3'' ,the rest bone stock.
    [​IMG]

6. This is how beautiful they can be, customized.
    Courtesy of Bo Zolland.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

he did say HAMB friendly.:D

8. I think I just through up in my mouth a little. ;)

That car is OK (ish), resembles that car that Ford tried to use to resurrect the thunder hawk. The nice thing about the first T-Birds is that you really don't have to do much to one to make it sweet.

9. Oh you purests !:rolleyes:
    Cmon fellas, he did mention wanting to see mods.

10. Well that one is modded for sure. I think that in the proper venue it fits in real well. From the picture whomever did the work is a craftsman. I can't imagine the hours that went into that.

11. Heres a few others.
    Dont be hating on me guys, im just the messenger !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Really? HRP

13. Beauity is in the eye of the beholder.

14. Geeze guys, im not feeling much love in this room.

Attached Files:

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Just spreading the gospel of this site as instructed. There must be streedrod sites for cars like these. I don't know I don't look for them.

16. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

If they want modern why didn't they just go out and buy the latest offering from japan instead of stuffing up a cool old car.

17. Jeezus guys instead of bustin my balls why dont you throw up some pics !
    Thanks HRP, that link shows a nice variety.

18. Can't speak for anyone else but I am an ass, someone told me I was just the other day. :D

19. Mart

Mart

I have a 57 which intend to get back on the road at some point. To my eye, the less you do the better. You can't go much bigger on the wheels without losing the skirts, so just a little lowering, some chrome reverse wheels, maybe lose the continental kit (make it like a 55), and it will look great.

Try and customise it and (again, just my opinion) you stand more chance of f'kin it up and de-valuing it.

Clean and tidy is the key. Nice paint, nice trim (close to stock) and it will look great.

I've found google great for finding things like this, just go to google, type in 1956 thunderbird, select images and you will get hundreds come up, from stock to rodded in every intermediate stage too.

Mart.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  20. Hyfire

Hyfire

I'm not a big fan of the early T-Birds. I really want to love them for their size, but they just look too 1950's cute.

Maybe too many mods done... but these are the best looking ones in my opinion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Ha ha , who was it, Tommy ?

And who's instructing him ? :D

22. butch27

butch27

Beauty may be in the eyes of the beholder but damn- ugly can be seen by everyone!

23. [​IMG]

Woah !
    Thats awesome.

24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Had to throw this one in there, it makes the purists cringe also. :D

Attached Files:

25. 51delivery

51delivery

Keep the photos coming. I hope to go see the car in person this weekend. I think wheels and tires are the main change. Then with or without skirts. Probably some valve covers and air cleaner under the Hood. She will be making the choices. This is her reward for 30 years of car shows

26. OK 51 heres a few more.
    I will admit I may have been a little off base with some of these but I really like thunderbirds. Especially when hot rodded or customized.

Attached Files:

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My junior high school (female) teacher drove a pea green one every day. I've been in love with them ever since. I want a 55 real bad but it'll never happen. I don't like the continental kit on the 56 and I do not care for the 57 rear bumper. I once bought a louvered 55-57 hood just in case I got lucky some day. I never did. I only paid 50 bucks for the hood. All the restorers were pissed that it was punched full of holes. I loved the fact that some guy had the nerve to punch a bunch of louvers in a pricey hood like that. It was probably cheap at the time compared to today's prices I think a louvered 55 Tbird hood would be HAMB friendly:D

28. No it was some whinny little punk who couldn't find an engine in his price range and expected us to find him one. :(

I guess he got his feelings hurt when I suggested that he leave the whine on the table next to the cheese.

29. Yeah, whiners are the worst ! (ha ha)
    By the way, im just havin fun with you guys here.
    I fully respect everyones opinion and understand certain discriminating members intentions to keep things in line HAMBwise.
    Theres always going to be a certain amount of dispute over where the lines drawn in terms of "traditional". I think its somewhat more difficult where customs are concerned.
    I will be honest and admit im learning more with each visit to the HAMB.
    As an artist I embrace creativity and therefore my interests lean more toward customs and modifcations over the mostly stock or original.
    Since the HAMB is an amalgamation of both hot rods and customs, there will most likely always be a bit of conflict or healthy rivalry among the two groups, but I dont see it as a bad thing. It makes things interesting.