Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Pontiac Tranny Cooler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31bowtie, May 6, 2013.

1. 31bowtie

31bowtie
    from maine

Hi guys, could use a little help with a heating issue. I am removing the heater in order to convert the car to disc brakes. And the issue I am having is determining how the tranny cooler receives and returns antifreeze to the radiator. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Can you post a pic?

3. 31bowtie

31bowtie
    from maine

Sorry, it's a Star Chief with a 316 and a Hydramatic transmission.

4. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Does the tranny cooler really have anti freeze in it?

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 55chieftain

55chieftain

The trans doesn't have any lines going to and from the radiator for any cooling.

The underseat heater has a feed and return line and one end goes to the radiator but nothing to do with the transmission.

There is an online 56 shop manual over on Pontiacsafari.com thats show the routing I believe.

6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Are you talking about the firewall mounted defroster box?
    KK

7. 49toad

49toad

Hydromatics were not externely cooled. There is not cooling lines.

8. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

i think he is talking about the under the seat heater. in that case just remove it and plug the line on the bottom of the radiator

9. buds56

buds56

If your 56 has the hydramatic with the park feature (stratoflite) the cooler mounts on the rear of the trans.
    One hose in one out
    The dual-range (no park feature) didn't have an oil cooler.
    My 56 had a one coolant line on the right rear of the cyl head and the other on the left lower of the radiator.

10. 31bowtie

31bowtie
    from maine

Thanks everyone! buds56, you had it right! I did some research and found that the 56 did have a tranny cooler. And as you said it is fed from the right rear of the cylinder head, and the return line y's in with the return line from the under-seat heater. So now I am going to re-route the return line before the y and take it back to the radiator! Couldn't see anything until I jacked the car up. I am moving the defroster to make room for a brake booster/master cylinder as I convert the front brakes to disc.

11. Ice man

Ice man

What are you gona do with the defroster. You gona need it up there. Also the defroster should have the first water before the heater, or it won't do a good job. Ask me how I know. Iceman

12. 31bowtie

31bowtie
    from maine

Hi Ice Man, going to move the heating to the other side of the car. Will try and find another smaller unit to do defrosting/heat. Lots of room on the other side of the firewall. Or maybe use some of the left over space close to where it is now.