Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1956 PA Inspection sticker questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flypa38, Feb 2, 2016.

1. flypa38

flypa38

Hey fellas,
    I was thinking of putting a '56 PA inspection sticker on my Pontiac and had a few questions. Apparently PA had inspections every six months back then, so there were stickers for 55-56, 56, and 56-57. My car is registered with a 56 license plate that expires 3/31/57. Would the plate dictate at all which inspection sticker is correct or is it sort of unrelated?
    Secondly, on the back there is the area where the inspecting mechanic would fill in the information. What should be written there? Categories are:
    Year (Year of manufacture , right?)
    Make (Pontiac in my case I would think)
    Type (This is the one I'm the least sure of)
    Man. Ser. No. (VIN, I'm guessing)
    Also, there is a stamped number on the sticker. 55-56 and 56 have them on the back; 56-57 have them on the front. Should this number match my plate number or VIN or something?
    Thanks for any info you guys could provide!
    J0hnny

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

^^^ This is why I love the internet. "inspection sticker.net"; they have a support group and everything. Doesn't matter what it is, somebody somewhere has a website for it. I haven't read a book in 20 years.

4. flypa38

flypa38

I've been all over that website and haven't seen the support section. Where can I find it?
    Any Old timers out there remember how all this works?

5. It has been a while but if I remember correctly the date of exp on your plate determined when inspection was needed. If your plate expired in March then you had inspection in March and six months later Sept. In your post type would be Sedan, Coupe etc.

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Inspection periods followed registration month, which I believe has recently changed to non-sequential (which is worse because I always forget).
    I remember what a pain in the butt it was for 6 month inspections, especially in the days when my cars were held together with baling wire and duct tape.

7. flypa38

flypa38

Thanks for the replies......still have a few more questions!
    Are the dates at the bottom left (as can be seen on Mgtstumpy's example above) the date that inspection was due or when it was performed? When marking that date, should it be marked with ink or have a hole punched in the right spot?
    Thanks! Johnny

8. I still have an original sticker on my roadster from 1976. The date is hole punched as when the inspection was preformed. The hole is small so it fits in the block.

9. 5window

5window

Very cool. I am not sure what the PA DMV will think of your plan-unless you have registered the car as an Antique-then there are no inspections-thus no stickers.

If you do use this sticker, why not make an accurate color copy and use that? No one is likely to notice through your windshield glass and you'll have the original-in case your windshield breaks or something.

10. flypa38

flypa38

It is registered antique and running year of manufacture plates.....hopefully won't be an issue!
    Making a copy is what I'm working on now. The back is silver paper so I made that first and glued the image of the front onto that. I made a 1/16" hole punch out of some old pliers and a piece of drill bit to punch the station number and the date. Next up is a coat of UV resistant clear paint and figure out how to stick it to the windshield glass!

11. 5window

5window

Sounds like you've got it figured out. Please post a picture when you've got it done. I've got street rod plates on my '31,so I still have to have a current inspection sticker, but I've got a WWII "C" gas ration sticker on the windshield and there's not been a fuss (During the war, veterinarians, like me, got extra gas). Also, since PA only runs a rear plate, I've got a YOM plate on the front-haven't been bothered-yet.