Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Oldsmobile 98

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Aug 13, 2013.

1. It seems to me that my whole life has revolved around paying out the a** for cars that I want. I have never had a "deal" and I overpaid for every car I have ever owned. I come on the HAMB and it seems like everyone always seems to be getting these deals and I always wonder when mine will come.

Well after my nightly routine of talking to the girlfriend and getting ready for bed I decide to browse Kijiji. I surfed pages and pages and decided to call it quits. I then went to bed but like most nights could not sleep right away. I went on YouTube to watch some car videos when my Internet started to get really slow. So back to Kijiji it was. It was 1:45 in the morning and only five new cars in the "classic car" section. The top one and newest one caught my eye though and I almost fell out of bed. a 1956 Oldsmobile 98 for what seemed to be WAY TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE a price. After opening the advertisement I assumed the price was missing a zero. I emailed the guy twice and then picked up my phone. Even though it was 1:45 A.M. the add was posted five minutes from that so I gave it a shot. By the third consecutive time I got an answer.

The phone call went:

Seller: Hello
    Me: Is the price for the Olds missing a zero?
    Seller: No but it's junk do you really want it?
    Me: Yup, when is the soonest I can pay you out I have the money in my hand right now.

After a few minutes of shooting the shit it was determined that I was to give his mechanic a down payment whenever I wanted the next day. I found out the shop opened at 8:00 A.M. so I tried to sleep (yeah right:rolleyes:) Spend the whole night looking at other HAMBers Oldsmobiles and planning the mods.

When I showed up to the shop today it was a little worse than I expected but still a STEAL. I paid the mechanic half for the car and I can pick it up next Monday (still no idea how I will get it home:confused:).

So then after I am done eating breakfast at a McDonalds nearby I decided to give the owner a call (HERE IS WHERE THINGS GET CRAZY)

He was so stoked I bought the car that he told me he had a '56 Olds and he has a set of seats at the upholstery shop getting redone he will give me for FREE. But theres more. Also a stock Olds Tranny and a new set of taillights will be thrown into the deal.

I would have paid, what I paid for the car, for the headlights alone so to get that thrown is was insane.

Here's some pictures...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The early and mid 50's Olds are some sweet automobiles. Looks like you got a lot of work staring you in the face. Hopefully the time spent at Alex's will serve you well here. Good luck with it and keep us updated. What are your plans for it at this point?

3. I am really not sure. The loving side of me wants to rebuild it, but the smart side of me thinks I should part it out. I am having a very hard time deciding. There is A LOT of rust on this car. The B-Pillers are pretty much halved:eek:.

Maybe if I found another crappy Olds I could piece two together? I am planning on getting a chopped '50 Coupe soon (total project). So maybe I could transfer the dash and all the goodies in that?

I have seen people save worse before but I am a university student with a small driveway, slim budget, and not many tools. I have bought pairs of jeans for more money than I paid for this though so it was a no brainer to buy it.

4. If you part it out, let me know. I could be interested in a few parts if the price is right.

5. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I'm calling dibs on the rearend when you part it out!

That is a great score!

6. This isn't the back seat on the school bus... Cash is king, dibs doesn't fly.

7. Okay so quick question. How do I go about taking the dash out of this car? Is it bolted in or would I have to physically cut it out?

Thanks!

8. I'm parting it out now I decided it's to rotted to save. I'll probably have the rear end out by next week in my driveway. I am going to be getting a '50 Coupe and was going to use the rear end in that but if you guys want it by all means.

9. Also A.J. let me know what else you need. I am keeping the following...

-Dash, Steering Wheel, Headlights, Front Fenders, and Taillights.

Everything else is up for grabs. There is even a Playboy sticker on the rear bumper lol.

10. I was going to ask about the steering wheel.

Otherwise, the transmission crossmember if it's still in there, and the rear axle that Norton thinks he has 'dibs' on. Let me know what you want for them.

11. Well, the steering wheel is mint which is why I just wanted it for the wall but if you could use it its yours. I was planning on putting a different wheel in the '50 anyways. The transmission crossmember is still there and the differential is all good.

If anyone knows how to get the dash out of this let me know. Also how much cutting would be involved to make it fit into a '50 Ford Coupe? Thanks!

12. Nah, I don't need it. But if the price was right, I was going to hang it on my wall. I don't actually need it for anything other than it looks cool.

13. Dash should be a bolt in. Would be easier if you pull out front seat first then get up under there with light. Should be able to see where attachment bolts are. Would be easier still to get rid of old wiring first too.

14. Seat is already out at the upholstery shop. Interior is gutted besides the dash.

Just so everyone knows the car is listed in the classifieds for FREE. Whoever wants it can come get it in a couple weeks once I have taken what I need.

Note: There will not be much left of this car at all, but the frame is pretty minty:cool:

15. Yup, I don't need it as well not really a fan of the Olds wheels but this one is in really nice condition. I don't understand how the whole car is rotted to shit but the dash and steering wheel are mint. It hasn't been covered and had no side glass in it and it has been sitting outside since 1971:confused:

16. Sent you a PM about the steering wheel....

17. Got it thanks Steve!

18. I could use some of that if you part it out. Just sayin'.

19. All the sheetmetal is pretty much shot and I'll be taking the parts I mentioned above. Send me a P.M. of what you need and I'll see if it has it.

20. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

the dash is a weld in.....john

21. oh shoot...me and my big mouth

22. Thanks man! Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

hahaha

23. check your email..i sent ya a letter on some parts im looking for..thanks buddy

24. scotts52

scotts52

Shooting you a message on some parts I need.

25. Sauli

Sauli

Please don´t do that. This is a "98" Coupe. It´s a rare piece. Made in fractions of quantities of the "88"´s. Well worth the extra work to revive.
    At least don´t part it out in favor of some bellybutton "50 Coupe".
    If You must part something, get a donor´56 "88" and cut what You need to fix this. FYI, there´s a guy in the HAMB classifieds parting out a ´56 "88" right now. Or if You absolutely, positively must have the "50 Coupe" like everyone else, You might do well by selling this to someone who knows and appreciates it for what it is.

26. I am not looking forward to this as all. I had a hard time sleeping last night thinking about how shitty it will be to cut this thing up. It is one of my dream cars, but pictures do not show this thing justice. This car has been sitting in Ontario since 1971 not in Arizona. The metal is so floppy it's not even funny.

If you really want to save it before I take anything off you can come up and I'll sell it to you. Trust me this thing is gone. I really wish I could save this car I just think its too late.

27. UPDATE:

I just got all the original information on this car and it will not be parted out now. I am going to try and bring it back to life as a mild kustom. It was bought by the third owner in 1971 and the guy named the car "Fat Albert" and put in a 371" Olds motor in it. He went through a nasty divorce and the car then sat until the fourth owner bought it. The fourth owner pulled the motor out for his '56 Olds.

So plans are as follows:

Try to find a place to keep it:confused:

Then try and find a top for it. The top is really rotted on this car. If I could find another top for it that would be nice. Also will need to replace the floors, rockers, bottom of the front fenders, etc.

I have spent six months apprenticing in a shop, but besides that I have no experience. This will be a total learning process and I'm sure I will screw up many times.

I get the car Monday and I can't wait:D:D:D Although who knows where I'll keep it:( Anybody with a shop want to adopt me?:p

28. One question I have though is this. Could I make the C-Pillers from scratch or would it be best to just cut some off a parts car? Thanks!

29. Also what top will fit nicely. As this car will be a kustom it doesn't have to be original and I'm not opposed to chopping it either. Pontiac? Chevy? 4-Door? Thanks!

30. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

'54 thru '56 Buick Special/Century and Olds 88/98 tops should be the same as yours.

Very few things are truly impossible when it comes to rebuilding old cars....but a car rusted as badly as you say this one is will sorely test your determination, and resources, far beyond what you seem to imagine. And I say that, even being a long time admirer of '56 Olds, especially the 98.

Best wishes.