Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Olds Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Jul 24, 2019.

1. scotts52

scotts52

I'm trying to piece together a 1956 Oldsmobile convertible. I have the convertible cowl, doors, and top assy. I'm looking at getting a stripped out 55 Buick convertible shell that is close by and using the tub and floor area from it. It's sitting on a later model chassis.
    I found a 56 Olds 2 door hardtop shell that is 6 hours away and I found 2- 56 Olds 4 door hardtops 1 1/2 hours away. 1 is complete but rusty floors, the other is more solid but no motor or transmission.

I need a chassis, quarter panels and trunk lid to convert the 55 Buick shell. I don't have the funds to buy both deals right now. Which one is the better deal to further the convertible conversion? I wasn't sure if the frame on the 4 door hardtops, and the quarter panels are the same as the convertible.
    Looking for some feedback.

2. BJR

BJR

The Buick will have a different floor pan than the Olds. 54 to 56 used the same basic body in both Olds and Buick.

loudbang likes this.
  3. F&J

F&J

I looked up the bare frame in one of my Olds Chassis parts books. The frames are listed as the first part in Group 7. The 56 Olds convertible-only uses a specific part number. Two different numbers for convertible-only, one is for 88's and another for the longer 98's. These numbers are not the same as other years. The books never say what the differences are.

Rear quarters on a 4 door will be too short up front where the rear doors are.

Also, I'd think the inner rocker panel structures are beefed up on converts. That would be in Group 12, but in the Olds body parts book. If I can find mine, I will look it up.

Not trying to be a negative doomsayer, but this sounds like a nightmare project that may never get beyond just buying incorrect parts cars and dragging them home. (how old are you, and how many years/decades will it take?) Life is too damn short for such an overwhelming project IMO.

4. scotts52

scotts52

@F&J
    46 y.o.
    The Buick donor should have the necessary thicker inner rockers. I may have to gussy up the frame for the convertible. I don't care if it doesn't look stock. Or I might just buy an aftermarket from like Art Morrison. Either way, I'm in no hurry to build this and save a convertible.

5. Rckt98

Rckt98

I have a 56 Olds 98 convert in pieces (20 year project) and sold my 56 98 sport coupe a few years ago.
    The steel in the convert chassis is twice as thick as the hardtop. I believe the only thing that interchanges between the Buick and Olds is the windscreen. The rear 1/4 from a 2 door hardtop should be able to be modified to fit the convert (not the 4 door 1/4). Be aware of the difference between the 88 and 98 bodies and chassis in wheelbase length.

scotts52 likes this.