Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 olds disk brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bygddy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. bygddy

bygddy

Need some help, two things, i have a 56 olds 88, its got power brakes, i belive they were power when new but it's a hydroboost system? Wasn't aware that was around in 56? The system looks factory but the car had a frame off before i got it so everything looks new. Drums all around, teh car stops fine when cold but after sitting in traffic, stop and go it turns to mush, stand on the pedal and rolls slowly to a nice comfortable stop. SCary and not a ton of fun. So what i was wondering is will a disk brake conversion from a 55ish chevy be the same needed for this? Are they the same basic arcitecture as the 55, 56, 57 chevy's and will a kit for those cars fit this one? Thanks
    Dave

2. No, Chevy is different from Olds.

Search "Scarebird" on line. He sells a caliper mounting plate that uses GM O.E.
    brake components. He has some specific suggestions for brake master cylinders too.

3. bygddy

bygddy

Im retarted, and now look like a total rookie, which i just very well might be....not hydroboost, so on to the next question....um.....master is under the colume? Near drivers frame rail? So confused....Seems pedal goes to shit when it gets hot, idea's? Headers are fairly close to master and lines? Boiling fluid?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  4. flatoz

flatoz

its probably a 'tredelvac' I have one in my '55 olds. I had it rebuilt and its not bad, its not discs but for drums and a heavy car its not bad, I am going to change to disc as I drive my olds everyday but have decided on a complete front end swap as you will find that some of the steering gear is hard to get.

as for going to crap when its hot, not sure if yours does, but my car has a vacuum storage tank under the floor boards, maybe this isn't hooked up? the exhausts are close to the MC but I have not had a problem up to 100+ degree days, if in doubt though put a heat shield on the exhausts and see if that helps.

5. bygddy

bygddy

Turns out i was right, about being mostly retarted that is. The previous owner had said that it had just been put together and had little to know mileage on it. Turns out nothing was adjusted yet, one wheel had brakes and that's it. So we pulled them all, everything is brand new. adjusted them up and stops much much better now. Its fantastic.....did i mention my slight retardation? So that's it for now, with everything being new i think i will just leave it alone and drive it for now....thanks for the input....
    Dave