Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Natl Drags-mystery Illinois rdstr-Tucson rdstr

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt R, Oct 24, 2008.

1. what mystery? how about in 1956 who were "Mallory & Sons" in Mattoon, Illinois? was it an actual used car lot? is there still a Mallory & Sons business or family in Mattoon? did they own, build, sponsor the car? who else was involved in building the car? does the car still exist? the cars et and mph, where else did it race? Every time I look at the pic, more questions come to mind. If, anybody has answers or any info about the car, owners etc., share with us.

Think 1956, some guys sitting in the garage, around a bare frame and imagine the excitement of the conversation about front engine versus mid engine, what final thoughts resulted in the mid engine, what engine to use, the transmission, the rear axle, who welds, who gets to hammer out the nose? who will drive, how fast will it go, etc., etc.

The 23 T behind the Mallory car. Blackmore Tucson, more questions.

Liking the army tent "motel".

New mystery. On the front of the photo album that this and 5 other pics are in, is written "National Championships 1956". NHRA had their 1956 NC in Kansas City, Mo. and AHRA had their 1st NC 1956 in Great Bend, Ks. Which one? Pics not mine so I'm no help.

Next future post, another pic taken in the 1956 Natl Drags pits, will be of a heavily hammered 32 tudor. It has a familiar look, may have been HAMB posted before or currently owned by a HAMBer. The rods in the background are kick ass, too.

Until next week. Have a good weekend.

Attached Files:

2. no one from Illinois recognizes this car?

3. hmmm, I guess not enough very mature citizens around.

4. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

Isn't Fred Blackmore still roaming the streets of Tucson?

5. no input from Illinois, looks like Tucson doesn't have much either.

6. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

Let me ask the "old" Treasurer of the Tucson Timing Association him and Fred were close,

7. usac1960

usac1960

i've never seen this car tucked away anywhere around here.i'll ask my uncle he was a tech guy at the local strip for several years.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  8. a mid engine car, going thru tech, in the mid to late 50's or early 60's, would have been a unique styled drag car. It would be cool, if he remembers the car.

Is there a Murray & Sons car sales business in Mattoon, now?

9. usac1960

usac1960

i just noticed that it says bob cheney on the hood/cowl area of the car,if thats what it says.bob owned bobs speed parts till he retired about 8 years ago.was still building rear engine cars up to that time.he had probably 5 or 6 of his old cars at his shop mostly fed some with flatheads some with hemis,never saw that one though.he died about three years ago last i knew his grandson still had most of it.

10. if possible, stop by the grandson's place and get some pictures of the remaining cars. Pictures of flathead and hemi feds are meant for sharing.