Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Mercury Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, May 18, 2011.

1. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

game plan for the Merc when I get home. Weld Weld and weld some more. I am going to weld up the hole in the vavle cover and then start welding up the trim holes on the body. I just need to go pick up a small piece of copper tubing to flatting into a back weld plate. I also need to start cutting the pieces out for the intake manifold.

2. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I got all of the drivers side trim holes welded up and I plan to start on the passenger side today. I have also started fabrication on the dual log intake.

Pictured below is the top of my grandfathers walking cane. My grandfather use to sit out side with me while I worked on my cars and talk. I have some very fond memories of our time working on cars together. Because my grandfather has passed away I plan to use the top of his walking cane as my shifter handle. The shifter will follow me in to any old car I have from now on will.

Attached Files:

3. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

TGIF! I should have some good pics and updates for you guys come Monday. Hopefully ill have part of the car in primer.

4. Sounds like a plan

5. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Of all the thing I enjoy about working on a car, the one thing I hate to do is grind welds.

6. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Got some things done this weekend but not as much as i would have liked to. I kept having technical difficulties. I got all the trim holes welded up and ground down. The two front fenders are about ready to be primed..just a little more sanding. The passenger side door window molding was chopped and streched. I also started construction on the dual log intake. I would have completed it but 1st my angle grinder took a shit on me, then I ran out of welding gas, and my air compressor kept throwing the breaker....and Im running short on supplies until pay day. Below are a few pics of some of the work I got done this weekend.

Attached Files:

7. Not too vad cage, its comin along.

8. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Got the body off the frame. Now back to body work. Fun fun. Ill post pics Monday.

9. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Saturday I got the Frame out from under the car....Thats not an easy thing to do by yourself. The cherry picker helped a lot. I also finished the rough work on the front fenders and got them in primer. I need to get a couple more coats of primer on them but both of my paint guns broke on me. I think my gravity fed gun just needs a good cleaning...I hope. The air inlet nozzel on my touch up gun stripped out. I think I have that one fixed now, i will find out today. I also removed the dash and removed all the gauges and controls from it. And Lastly I removed all the old wiring from the car. It was a complete mess.

Today when I get home I will wet sand the dash and get it ready for primer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. I see some progress. Keep it coming.

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man, you are serious about this! Takes patience to do this stuff by yourself and it looks like you have plenty. Years ago a friend had a '56 Merc, dropped a hot 390 and C6 in it. Surprised a few Camaro's and Mustangs too! Keep up the good work, I think this car is gonna turn out nice.

12. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Thanks for the kind word...yeah..patience is something I have...but at the same time I want to work on it all I can..I try to get at least a couple hours of work in on it a day.

13. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

last night I started body work on the roof and stripping the dash. I need to get another stripping disc to finish the dash. I will start sanding on the roof today. Just got the bondo on last night.

Attached Files:

14. What are your plans for the dash and roof?

15. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

The roof will get the same paint job as the hood and deck lid...silver/grey with blue and black scallops. I haven't decided exactly what Im going to do to the Dash yet. I will most likely paint it the silver/grey color and have it striped. I'm also thinking about adding a little silver leaf to it.

16. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I got a little work done yesterday. I started sanding the roof...getting the rough body work done. I also started cleaning up the frame some. I removed all 4 of the rear bump stops, both exhaust hangers, and the brake and fuel lines. While working on the frame I noticed that my wheel rubs up against the A arm. I will need to trim the A arm down a little for clearance. The 1st picture is of the tire rubbing. 2nd pic is of the rearend..I hadnt notice that some one had wrote Go Daddy on it until I started working on the frame. pictures 4 and 5 are of the rough work on the roof. I hope to have the roof finished and in primer in the next couple of days.

Attached Files:

17. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I don't know if I have mentioned this or not but I plan to have this car on the road my the 1st weekend of this coming April. I hope to be able to drive her to the Lone Star Roundup in Austin Texas this coming year. I have a lot to do between now and then but I am determined to make it happen.

18. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

There wont be any updates for a couple of days because yesterday I managed to sprain my lower back at work. Thank God for muscle relaxers and pain pills...lol

19. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I was able to get a little done this weekend. I removed all the bump stops from the frame. As of right now the frame sits about 2 inches off the ground. I still need to notch the frame on both ends before she will lay frame.

I have the roof and drivers door almost ready for primer. Just a little more sanding and they will be good to go.

I also got the 4 ford 94's I needed for my dual log intake that I'm making thanks to a fellow local hamber.

Attached Files:

20. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Sanding sanding sanding and more sanding. The roof and drivers door are finally about done. I should be able to prime them today or tomorrow. I hope.

21. You are on a roll with this car! Keep it up.

22. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I'm trying...I have a deadline to meet. I have a lot to get done between now and april.

23. Yeah alot to do but the rate you are going doesnt seem like you will have a problem

24. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

The drivers door is done and ready for primer. The Roof has been my problem area. I found 2 more high spots yesterday. I got them worked down and covered with filler. I still need to sand them down. I also started notching. I got the front drivers side notched. I still need to weld it back up. I got started on the passenger side.

I am going to have to redo the patch on the passengers side door for the shaved door handles. The previous owner did not do a good job of brazing it. I will cut it out and weld in a patch panel.

I have also included a Picture of my frenched antenna. I just love the Iron cross on the side of the car...but its going to be a bitch to get paint down in all those angels.

Attached Files:

25. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Yesterday was a productive day. I cut out all the cancer on my Merc, I got the roof and drivers door in primer along with one valve cover. I started notching the rear of the frame. I also cut out the old patch on the passenger door and trimmed to wholes that were in the firewall to make them easier to patch.

I only got about 1/3 of the roof sprayed. I ran out of primer. I am out of almost all my supplies. sand paper, bondo, cutting disc, sawzaw blades. Thank god tomorrow is pay day.

I also started fabrication on the 2nd log of my dual log intake. I should have some completed pics of it soon.

Attached Files:

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Seeing it in primer will be a big step. Good job!

27. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Yeah....I agree. I can't wait to see the whole thing in primer.

The firewall, front cowl, and dash are the next things to get primered. Then I will turn my attention to the inner fenders and radiator support. I will go prime and paint them the same day. I am using low gloss black tractor enamel on my inner fender and frame.

The quarter panels are going to reguire a LOT of attention. Especially the passenger side. I will post some pics of the passenger quarter tomorrow.

28. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Tonight I reassembled the heads for the Y-block, pulled the steering column cover and steering wheel. Im currently sitting here drinking a cold PBR and taking the steering wheel apart while I try to decide what I want to do to it.

29. Sounds like a good time! I should be doing the same thing.

30. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Cold beer and wrenching on old cars just go hand in hand. Lol

I picked up some supplies today. Bondo, sandpaper, welding gas, cutting disc and some primer.

Now its time to get back to work