Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Mercury Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, May 18, 2011.

1. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I wanted to share my new project with you guys. It is a 1956 Mercury Custom 2dr post car. It has been chopped 4 inches, shaved door handles, new brake lines and disc brakes up front, a rebuilt 9 inch ford in the rear. The car has drop springs up front plus 4 inch blocks in the rear. I have a 292 Y-block and Merc-o-matic out of a 55 mercury that I will be dropping into mine. Plans for the Y-block are just a basic rebuild with a hotter cam and header plus a custom intake. The transmissioon and Torque converter will also get rebuilt. I am putting in 62 T-bird seats and center console in the car. A nice blue paint job with blueish gray flames, lake pipes and a continental kit will finish the car off. I will post regular updates on here of the progress im making.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Sounds cool.....Pictures ??

3. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Sounds good!

4. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I think we are all very keen to see your car,but at the moment all I'm getting is a bunch of red crosses instead of photos:confused:
    Paul

5. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Red Crosses are commn for '55 Mercs.
    Mine is at the Doctor as well!

6. Sounds like an awesome project. You can't go wrong with a Y-Block I have been across 1 province and 7 States in mine and no problems yet (knock on wood).

7. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

8. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

9. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

The trucking company is finally picking up my Merc Tomorrow. It has been sitting in TX for about 2 months now. But now that I have my new house and Im settled in it is time to get to work on the Merc....as soon as it gets here.

10. Squablow

Squablow

Looks nice, curious to know how you're going to get the windshield and rear window to fit the chopped roof profile.

11. Looks like a 55 to me. The 56 grill and the guards are different than what I am seeing in the pictures. I know a guy who makes the exhaust tips that bolt to the bottom of the rear bumper..TBJ

12. ecode ragtop

ecode ragtop
    from illinois

The y-block is a good choice, looks gret with tri power

13. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

SWEEEEEET....wondering bout the glass too . Did you do the chop ?
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

14. Looks like a solid start

15. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

A guy in Cali Did the Chop. I currently have lexan windows but I have found a couple of places that will cut the glass for me.
    The trucking company dropped the ball on me. Luckly my fellow Hooligan is makeing a trip to NC to pick up a truck and is going to bring my car along with him.

16. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

The car is a 56. Title and vin match up and break down to a 56. I have another bumper for the car. It might be the orginal 56 bumper.

17. smarg

smarg

Your really going to have a tug boat using that 292.

The car looks awesome!

18. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

SLOW and LOW...thats the plans for this baby. I dont care when I get there, I just want to get there in style!

19. Thats what im talking about kage!!

20. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Ive been thru the whole speed and power phase and that stuff is cool but I have found out over the years that I would rather take my time and enjoy the ride. I make it a point to take a nice slow sunday drive every week (weather permiting) looking for future projects or just going for a bite to eat. Im in no hurry to get there but I want to get there looking cool.

21. smarg

smarg

It might almost be worth finding one of the overgrown y-blocks that came in those stock.

Again the car looks sweet!

22. Its a cruiser, just keep the y block in it. I am building my 56 ford tudor, full air ride and what not. Just the 292 with the fordomatic and tri power.

23. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I plan on doing a basicly stock rebuild on my 292. Just going to add a slightly hotter cam and some headers for sound. My uncle is rebuilding the Merc-o-matic for me. she should cruise right own down the road.

24. Oh thats perfect. What cam? Also get reds headers they hug the block pretty good.

25. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I havent decide on a grind yet but I have always been a big fan of Isky Cams. And Red's Headers are the exact ones I plan on running. I havent decided what to do about an intake yet. I have a set of laser cut manifold plates cut. I thought about makeing a dual log intake that will sit 4 stormburg 94's...I think that would just look cool.

26. Cool deal, yeah those headers are great.

27. It's a 4dr,right? Make sure you keep doing updates on it. As soon as you learn how to use a computer,that is,hahaha!

28. Nevermind....the pic's looked like a welded up 4dr. duh!!!!