Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 MarkII Continental intake 368

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chaoticcustoms, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

Hey guys, ive recently purchased a 56 MarkII 368. The engine will be ending up in a model A. Has anyone seen any other intake options for this engine besides the stock single four? Thanks.

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bill Stroppe built a 335 hp Mercury dual 4 version for the '57 NASCAR season, and a few may have ended up in Turnpike Cruisers. The intakes and Holley carbs were also sold over the counter.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Would have to be aftermarket, there were no engine options for a Mark II

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

As Bob and Rusty stated, your choices are limited. There is a factory Mercury 2x4, but expect to pay a hefty sum for it. There is one on Flea-Bay right now for $2999.

Thinking from the cheap seats....

Check out RichFox's great Technical thread on how to use SBC Hilborn Injectors on a Lincoln Y.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731558&highlight=hilborn+lincoln

Supposedly the Olds Rocket Motors have a very similar port configuration to the Lincoln Y, but slightly different mating surface angles. If you are or know a good machinist, maybe an Olds 3x2 or 6x2 Drag Star could be machined to fit. I think there are some old threads on here about adapting Olds manifolds to the Lincoln as well.

Good Luck

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

5. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

I've got a full '56 Lincoln frame under my '46 Lincoln custom (avatar) and a stock 368. I was going to use an Weiand Olds 8 carb intake ('WO8') and make my own adaptors. Because both Olds and Lincoln have similar siamesed intake ports it can be done. However, the difference is in the mounting angle where they attach to the heads. This has to be accommodated with adaptors that resemble 'wedges' which I made out of billet slugs of aluminum. I had a machine shop plane down the surfaces and then I hogged out the ports using intake gaskets as templates -Lincoln for the engine side and Olds for the carb side of the adaptors.
    Here are some pics.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mockup:
    [​IMG]

6. Very cool David! :cool:

7. flamingokid

flamingokid

8. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

....I should add....should have been cool. I got hung up on the extreme precision required for drilling the mounting bolt holes and put the whole thing aside for months and months. All this time I was working on a bunch of body mods and decided that I needed to pie-cut the hood.....which I did. And guess what, the whole rig would not fit under the hood anymore (what a dumbass!) and I was damned if I wanted a hood scoop on a taildragger style custom. So I sold the rebuilt carbs, the Weiand intake, the linkage (Norwell), and threw the billet under the work bench where it still resides. Proof of concept was all I got...live and learn....

9. HarveyWallbanger

HarveyWallbanger

Any chance of posting some measurements? I'm planning on taking the same route, sometime years in the future.