Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1956 Hydramatic "Jetaway"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnnyolds98, Aug 31, 2017.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I wouldn't bet money on it but I'm pretty sure ALL the '56 Olds and Pontiacs came with the infamous Jetaway tran.
    I was 16 years old then,. car crazy, read all the car mags and articles, and had a back fence neighbor who had a '56 OLDS, bought new. I can remember the disappointment expressed in every article about the Jetaway's "Slipamatic" lack of get up and go off the line and shift like the old Hydramatic, and later the garage mechanics saying they were almost impossible to repair.
    As for the original question, I suspect it would be a job requiring a lot of pre '56 Olds parts espcially if you retained the column shift lever and quadrant.
    Hopefully an Olds enthusiast.will see this and help you out if we can keep your post on the first page.

2. Wrench97

Wrench97

Didn't they have oil pressure pipes that cracked causing the servo pressure to drop?

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Not quite accurate …. early production Deluxe 88 (the cheap 88) and a few Super 88s got the dual range until the Jetaway was in full production, then all 3 lines were Jetaway equipped. The early cars had their own owner's manual ….

belair likes this.
  4. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

Shouldn't be that tough to swap in the earlier dual range hydro. Pontiac Chieftans had that trans early in the 56 model year as far as I know. Only difference in the shift quadrant is the park position for the Jetaway. Dont know how the Jetaway could be tagged slow on takeoff w a 3.97 first gear. The Jetaway came into being because of all the compaints about the harsh shifting characteristics of the earlier dual range design. The Jetaway had a pretty long run for being such a supposedly crappy trans...1956 to 1964. Just saying.

5. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Been a while since I had the shifting issue. But I had some other priority work in between.

When I opened the pan and found scraps I opted for a complete rebuild and found the issue being caused by the counter weight of the governor chopped off by a defective speedo gear that came loose.

I got me a replacement NOS governor and a rebuild kit and started the task.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    bchctybob and Truck64 like this.
  6. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

I completely tore apart the tranny and found a few defects which I rectified as I put together the whole thing again.

Attached Files:

bchctybob likes this.
  7. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Latest discovery is a cracked front unit cover...
    I did some research but could not find any replacement for my cover #8616404. There is similar ones #8618338 available but I am not sure those will fit...

Anyone of you Techies knowing if I can risk spending money on the part or better save it for some (unknown) other time. Unfortunately it is still impossible finding any parts here in Germany...

Maybe someone of you has a spare I could fall back on?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

bchctybob likes this.
  8. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Otherwise it's coming together nicely but slowly.

One outstanding thing is still the speedo drive - someone had replaced the shaft with a later design plastic shaft that he melted into the gear... Didn't hold up well and finally killed my governor.
    Meanwhile - as I couldn't get a matching gear shaft I am working on making me one myself... Most interesting task is to fab up the square bore for the speedo cable. ;)

Needs some time but I m getting there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    bchctybob likes this.
  9. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Also... This is how the right hand side engine/transmission mount looked when I removed the transmission... Glad I noticed before it went completely mid driving...

Attached Files:

bchctybob likes this.
  10. Cutlas Fan

Cutlas Fan

I don't know anything about these trannies. Is there much pressure behind the cover? If not you can probably fix the crack with JB weld or a similar metal impregnated epoxy. I had good luck fixing an actual hole in an atv trans.

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Have you called Fatsco? They are THE authority on obsolete transmission including the Jetaway. I'm spoiled with them being right here in my backyard in NJ, and I know they stock a ton of obsolete parts and random stuff. It's worth a call to them to see if they have a replacement cover. And they ship internationally.

PhilA and bchctybob like this.
  12. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

When these transmissions came out there were lots of problems with them. I never liked them. Once, I had a '56 totally quit while trying to get it into the garage for another problem. If you could find a '55 Hydromatic and an adapter that's what I'd do. Those were one tough transmission.

13. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Yeah, found a cover at Fatsco that I ordered. Got shipping confirmation and should be here early January.
    Fingers crossed not many more issues surfacing on the rebuild... Costs for part, international shipping, customs dues and fees plus waiting time just killing me...

bchctybob likes this.
  14. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Since the frunt coupling is a flzid coupling witch driving/driven torusses there is quite some fluid motions in there and I once at it I really would not go down the route of gambling... On top the entire unit is supposed to be balanced so it doesnt wear the bushings messing up more of the components - so sticking jb weld on it won't do an acceptable job fixing the issue...

bchctybob and Cutlas Fan like this.
  15. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

That's plan C if not being successful at all with the rebuild...or for one day when I have too much time at hands and won the lottery...

16. Rckt98

Rckt98

Stick with it. My 56 98 was a pleasure to drive after the Jetaway was rebuilt.

Johnnyolds98 likes this.
  17. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

Johnny-- My first car at 15yo was a 1957 Pontiac with a Jetaway. First upgrade was dual exhaust and I loved to hear those mufflers on decell. A mechanic told me not to downshift that transmission if I expected it to last. What could he know? A few months later the neighborhood trans shop extended me my first line of credit in 1963 to overhaul and replace the "salad bowl" along with the other worn parts. It took me almost a year to pay them off at 10-15$ each payday. First thing he told me when I picked it up a month later was (DO NOT DOWNSHIFT!!) One of many life lessons learned along the way. DC

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    bchctybob, hendelec and Johnnyolds98 like this.
  18. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Lol... Will surely remember your advise.

bchctybob and hendelec like this.
  19. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Got a nice present from Fatsco in time for Christmas...
    Had some time to remove the old front unit cover and found it was about time that thing will be replaced. Barely holding together...completely cracked.

'Don't downshift!'

Attached Files:

bchctybob likes this.
  20. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Next task is to remove the old shaft bushing ring from the old part without damage so I can re-install it on the new cover.
    Unfortunately not been able to locate a new replacement yet.

Maybe heating up the old cover in the oven...?
    Would not like to start using force e.g. pullers or driving it out from the back as I fear damaging it.

Attached Files:

bchctybob likes this.
  21. Rckt98

Rckt98

Not going to be much help but I remember the guy that rebuilt mine years ago telling me he had put parts into the freezer overnight to get them apart or reassembled.

22. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Hmmm.
    Why not. Freezing makes metals contract. Worth a try

23. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Putting a 55 hydramatic in your 56 Olds is pretty easy. The transmission doesn't need an adapter to mate up to the engine. But you will need to have the crankshaft drilled for a pilot bushing. You will need the 55 (or 56) hydramatic flywheel, and perhaps the crossmember with mounts from a 55 or 56 hydramatic Olds may be needed. Driveshaft and yoke may need updating. You can get by with the quadrant indicator, just don't have Park. As you can see, it isn't too hard to do.

bchctybob likes this.
  24. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

Another great source for parts for these old transmissions is Dave Edwards ( AutoTran).

Johnnyolds98 likes this.
  25. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Didn't work out.
    According to Fatsco I should not worry. Will work without this. It's just a different design.

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Cut the old part apart, just don't nick the outside of what your after.
    Does this piece fit the replacement part you have?