Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1956 Hydramatic "Jetaway"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnnyolds98, Aug 31, 2017.

1. dan c

dan c

the hydramatic came stock on 88s in 1956; 98s got the jetaway.

belair likes this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't bet money on it but I'm pretty sure ALL the '56 Olds and Pontiacs came with the infamous Jetaway tran.
    I was 16 years old then,. car crazy, read all the car mags and articles, and had a back fence neighbor who had a '56 OLDS, bought new. I can remember the disappointment expressed in every article about the Jetaway's "Slipamatic" lack of get up and go off the line and shift like the old Hydramatic, and later the garage mechanics saying they were almost impossible to repair.
    As for the original question, I suspect it would be a job requiring a lot of pre '56 Olds parts espcially if you retained the column shift lever and quadrant.
    Hopefully an Olds enthusiast.will see this and help you out if we can keep your post on the first page.

3. Wrench97

Wrench97

Didn't they have oil pressure pipes that cracked causing the servo pressure to drop?

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Not quite accurate …. early production Deluxe 88 (the cheap 88) and a few Super 88s got the dual range until the Jetaway was in full production, then all 3 lines were Jetaway equipped. The early cars had their own owner's manual ….

belair likes this.
  5. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

Shouldn't be that tough to swap in the earlier dual range hydro. Pontiac Chieftans had that trans early in the 56 model year as far as I know. Only difference in the shift quadrant is the park position for the Jetaway. Dont know how the Jetaway could be tagged slow on takeoff w a 3.97 first gear. The Jetaway came into being because of all the compaints about the harsh shifting characteristics of the earlier dual range design. The Jetaway had a pretty long run for being such a supposedly crappy trans...1956 to 1964. Just saying.