Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1956 Ford Thunderbird find, eventually buy, and get most of way home!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, May 10, 2021.

1. It's not a problem with your computer lol it's a problem with the site then or user error

Thor1, Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6562.JPG
    New replacement carb for "old leaky", the new one before this one! is installed and ready yesterday.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6564.JPG
    IMG_6565.JPG
    Fired it up this morning with just a couple shots of ether. Runs great! That initial fuel pressure reading dropped back to about 5 even after idled a bit.
    I sent Bert a video of it running.;) He's happy!:D
    Then I tweaked the gas line and components to get it to better clear the air filter we're gonna use while we figure out a more original Thunderbird looking air cleaner setup.;)
    According to my:eek: measurements, it should clear fine. Here's where you cross your fingers!:D
    A skilled pal suggested I place a folded t-shirt on top of air cleaner when get ready to test... great idea I thought!
    I'm still gonna wait until Bert is here and I have a second set of hands, and eyes!, to verify my calculations are correct.;):):D
    IMG_6566.JPG
    Opportunities!
    More later.
    Pleased Al

4. Loosely crumpled tin foil on top of the air cleaner, close hood carefully and slowly (stop if there is resistance), open hood and measure the thickness of the tinfoil. Will tell you exactly how much clearance you have.

OahuEli, LWEL9226, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Bert came over and we used several lights and many angles to make certain we felt there was plenty of clearance for the temporary air cleaner we are using. It all looked good so we shut the hood.:eek::D
    It easily opened back up.;):)
    A test drive was in order and it seems to be off a bit but still ran okay. After cruising the neighborhood we decided to take the bird back to his house... and bring my 32 cabriolet back home.;)
    20210701 home 1.jpeg
    20210701 home 2.jpeg
    I won't say that we're finished but we are much, much better off. New carb and distributor doing fine and no gas leaks! Dang vacuum hoses seem to be correct, too.;):D
    I've always said that I'd rather be lucky than good any day!:D
    Tuning updates to follow... I hope soon. There never seems to be an end to "Opportunities!":eek::D:D
    It is great to now feel like we can drive it anywhere and cut it off with pretty good confidence that it will start back up when we are ready to go.:)
    Happy day.

48fordnut, mikew, OahuEli and 11 others like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

I just bought a 56 T Bird also. What size tires do you have on it?

48fordnut and Hamtown Al like this.
  7. Mart

Mart

Nice car, Al and a good story too. Bert's Bird.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  8. What’s going on with the Bird? Sure would like to find one.

Hamtown Al likes this.