Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1956 Ford History Help! (Ontario, Canada)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Jul 31, 2015.

1. I just purchased this car and I was wondering if I could get a little history on it. I know I posted it in the classifieds recently but the more I discover the more I think it's rad and I want to keep it. Car currently is blue/white and seems to be house paint on it?

Anyways I just found out today from the guy I bought it off of that it used to be metallic red with ghost flames on the front. The previous owner also told me it was an ex. Coasters Kemp car club car out of Peterborough, On.

It has shaved door handles, nosed, decked, and a terrible '80s Lincoln interior and glass packs.

Finally got the trunk open today and to my surprise I found a set of full length fiberglass skirts with the metallic red the car used to be.

I am looking into options on slowly taking away the current paint to see if I can bring the metallic red and flames back. Any ideas?

More or less I posted this thread in hopes I could find some history on the car maybe it is an old kustom from back in the day? I know there is a lot of stuff from the 80s/early 90s on the car but that could have been done later on. Any guys on here that used to be in the Coasters that could help?

Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Hmm, looks too shiny to be house paint, maybe tremclad or something. I would try sanding it in a hidden area, house paint and tremclad/rustoleum sands like crap.

If it were mine I would try stripper which is really effective on those types of paint but would have to be really careful and do very small areas at a time, making sure it didn't have a chance to eat too deep.

3. Thanks man! A lot of the paint it peeling in areas and you can see the metallic read peaking through in places. Someone has raised the car back up, painted it, and took the cruiser skirts off.

4. If its house paint you can use "GOOF OFF"

I have never lived in Canada so I couldn't tell you much about Canadian customs from back in the day. Here on this side of the border more doors didn't become popular for customs until the '80s or '90s.

Not bagging on your Ford and not to say that none built on here that was a 4 door just that they were not popular custom or rod fodder here until late in the century. Actually ghost flames were not popular here until late in the century either.

5. Hey,

Thanks for the Goof Off advice. Don't worry about it man if it were up to me I'd have a '40 Merc Coupe and a '36 Ford coupe and not two '56 Ford moor-doors. I like earlier stuff and I like coupes and roadsters but it's what I can afford right now until I'm done school. I know for a fact there were four-door custom cars back in the day but there is no denying they were very few of them and two doors were all the rage. Also I hate ghost flames hahaha. It is the ugliest thing you can do to a car just thought I'd throw that in incase someone could offer advice.

Also spoke to a past member of the Coaster Kemp club and turns out he has no recollection of the car being in the club. Maybe it is just someone's old beater and they can chime in? There is red overspray everywhere so when it was red I don't think the paint job was professional by any means. Also the cruiser skirts are pretty crude (maybe home-made?) and they were just screwed into the body.

I'm probably going out on a huge whim here as it was probably just some car someone had fun with in the '80s or '90s but it would be cool to get a little history if there is any out there.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Get a razor blade scraper and see if you can shave the paint off. If you do it right you can peel off the cheap paint job and not even scratch the red underneath. There is a knack to it, so start in an inconspicuous spot until you get the hang of it. It will peel off in long strips the width of the blade when you do it right.

The Coasters is a big club and they have a web site. If you ask them I am sure they can identify the car and the previous owner.

7. Thank you for you're response. I sent an email out that I found on their website so hopefully something will come of it. I'll look into the scraper technique as well.