Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Ford Customline Engine Options

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lovethegame777, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Mercenary

Mercenary

Greetings from central Virginia, I have just purchased a 272 to install in my 1956 F350 (dually) Boyertown bodied truck. The original engine is the I6 and is trashed with an automatic transmission. I want to stay period correct on this truck although not factory. Any suggestions? I also will be changing the rear end gearing, adding buckets seats from a panel truck and changing the dash to a '56 as Boyertown used the 53-55 dash up until the early 60's. I might add rear truck fenders (narrowed) to give it a larger look back there.

Attached Files:

2. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

If you are serious about stupid power go with an EFI LS engine, cheapest big power there is. But if you want to go cool old school I say either rock a 292 with tri power and nasty cam. Or one of my all time favorite 60's engine a 215 Buick what's not cool and unique about a 60's baby V8 that is all aluminum.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't but if you go with a SBC, using a 64-up Nova oil pan and oil pick up make it very easy.
    Now for the SBC, a Dart SHP 4.125 block, 3.875 stroke(off the shelf fron SCAT) , anyone's aluminum heads, H or I beam rods, T&D sportsman rockers, 415-422". All this is available from Competition Components who are great to worth with and will assemble what you want to your specs. This will be a light weight engine that makes great power.
    For a trans, I would use a 200R if your not staying with FOMOCO.

4. Everyone hates my Ford with the SBC in it... great to piss people off. Anyway, went with the early Nova pan, made my own front engine mounts, an adapter plate for the M20 4-speed. It was actually a very easy swap and it goes like stink.
    DSCN0079.JPG

5. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

One of my favorite off topic builds was one of our guys 02 Mustang Base that we put a LS 6.0L engine in it and you always got one of 3 reactions. You had the Die hard Ford guys that would go OMFG you wrecked this car, You got the Chevy guys that went "Wow someone figured out how to fix this Ford". Or the reaction 90% of the people gave, "That is a neat looking car" and had no idea it was a Chevy in a Ford.

When we built our LS sealed engine race program we just put Dodge on the dodge cars and a Ford logo on the ford cars and 90% of the world had no idea. But any-who our 54 Ford wagon has IMG_20160818_131111998.jpg IMG_20160818_130907991.jpg an LS3 in it, The 2004-2008 GTO Oil pan is front sump and with Corvette Motor mounts on the front the LS engine drops right in.

Toddlich and bobss396 like this.
  6. HotrodSonny

HotrodSonny

Ahhh Crap.... I must be an old man cause I'm thinking of going with the 390 with a automatic transmission and updated ford 9 inch. o_O

7. lovethegame777

lovethegame777

I'll probably end up going the 390 route but I would love a Tremec 5 speed. I have a 59 edsel laying in the backyard that I'll steal the 9 inch out of.

8. Colin Levasseur

Colin Levasseur
    from Phoenix

9. Colin Levasseur

Colin Levasseur
    from Phoenix

I got a 360 FE in mine. '56 club sedan. 3.03 tranny. I would like ex manifold and header advice. Mine are shot! See flames shootin out of mani's.

10. 6sally6

6sally6

I vote the 390 with a stroker (like southcross said) but with a 5 speed OR.... AOD tranny to get some great cruising mileage.
    I wouldn't worry TOO much about shelling-out the rear end until you get some big fat tires on the rear(then stuff will start to break) The stock-ish width rear tire act as a fuse. You'll have plenty of HP to smok'em if you want to but......... a stock-ish292/312 would do that!
    Sure a 351(or even a 5.0) would work but you already have the 390 and it will EZ-ly pull it around!!
    6sally6

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

Pretty much any way you look at it the 390, whether it’s a stick or automatic is probably the logical choice but as a child of the ‘50s and early ‘60s I liked those Cad, Pontiac and Buick swaps I read about in the magazines. It’s always a nice surprise to find something truly different under the hood when your expecting just another SBC or SBF.
    I’ve got a 401 Buick under the workbench just waiting for the small block in my ‘56 Chevy to hiccup.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app