Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Ford "Canned Monster" Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lancer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Love the artwork Lancer!

2. yblocker

yblocker
    from Layton Ut

Lancer, where would one find a tilt front end for a 55-56?

3. Lancer

Lancer

Troy, do you mean a one piece front end when you say tilt front end??

I do have info from a company that makes glass front ends for these, either all together or parts. If thats what you are talking about I'll dig up their contact info for you.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Woah just found this- This is gonna be great! :)

6. Lancer

Lancer

Nothing major to report. I need to get a gasket kit for the engine so we can get the heads, pan etc. on. Working on a plan to have an intake built for it, a custom one off piece. I need to pick up the mock up engine to use and get that delivered to the shop who will be doing the work. Hoping that works out. I got the final artwork delivered yesterday and am super stoked how it came out. Need to get the ball rolling to get some shirts made to help finance this beast.

Mostly I've been working on getting the new issue put together, hope to go to print in a month. By then the weather should be better and I can get going on the body work on the "Canned Monster". The body is really straight so that should move along at a good pace. I need to get the tilt front end finalized as well before we can spray the paint.

Bill is still waiting for me to send him spindles so he can finish the straight axle and get it sent out.

Some small updates for ya.

7. Lancer

Lancer

Picked up a few parts yesterday. Was able to grab the spindles we will be using. Sending them out to WAC Customs this week to get fitted on the tube axle. The vintage race tires are for mock up only but they will help get the proportions adjusted for the wheel wells. They are very vintage McCreary tires and not to soft. Anyone know how to soften up old tires???

Attached Files:

8. Lancer

Lancer

Looking over the Canned Monster tonight I noted that the car has a factory block off plates for the radio and the heater on the dash, and a block off on the firewall for the heater core. It was born to be a race car. Less stuff I have to pull off which is great.

9. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

This car is going to be awesome

10. Lancer

Lancer

Made a little progress on the "Canned Monster". Tires were mounted up on the wheels. I watched the poor guy at the tire shop try to mount them both up, was quite funny. As a reminder these tires are at least 40 years old and are for mock up only. The rubber is very hard and they were having a heck of a time trying to get them to work. Took three guys and a hammer if that gives you an idea. But, they're done now and hopefully will continue to hold air. We tossed them on the rear and now really see the offset of the wheels are no were near what they need to be. Since we are radiusing the wells it wont matter much.

Also starting pulling parts off the front of the car to get it ready for the new axle and other work to be done. Found something interesting. The car has a block off plate for the radio, but the car has a factory antenna that doesn't plug into anything. I found that amusing.

Attached Files:

11. mechanic58

mechanic58

Soak em with brake fluid...but I wouldn't recommend mounting and inflating them after that. lol

12. Lancer

Lancer

I actually did soak them pretty good in brake fluid. They look very nice but have cracks so, we'll see how they last. Will only be used for mock up so should be fine as long as they hold air.

13. Love seeing progress!

Sent VIA top secret BIGREDTODD Mobile HQ

14. Lancer

Lancer

Okay, worked my tail off over the weekend and made a lot of progress. All the glass is pulled out, interior is out and many other things pulled off. Anyone need all the flat glass for a 56 Ford Customline? Also found out the bushings are toast on our spindles so I'll be ordering a kit for that tonight to get our axle done.

Attached Files:

15. Looking good!

16. Good to see your progress, keep posting.
    Now where's my damned shirt? ;~)

17. Lancer

Lancer

Trying hard to have the shirt pre-orders up on the website in the next day or so. I need to get 20 sold which based on the response should happen quickly. Also this will be the only time you can order any size you want. After the initial order I'll only be stocking a couple of the main sizes.

18. Kinda slow here but just figured it out.
    Go to speednchrome.com and support the cause ;):p:D

19. 58custom

58custom

This is an awesome thread. Looking forward to more!

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm on board for the first print, just waiting to pull the trigger. The tee shirt design reminds me of the stuff from the '70s, and the car itself is gonna be pretty cool. Looking forward to both.

21. Lancer

Lancer

Here you go, so many have asked for this and I'm happy to bring it to you. Shirts are 100% made in the USA so they cost a bit more to produce. Help support our Gasser build.
    http://www.speednchrome.com/store.html

Attached Files:

22. DONE!!!!

Sent VIA top secret BIGREDTODD Mobile HQ

23. x 2

24. Lancer

Lancer

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395275122.612703.jpg working with my son to start pulling out the 8" rear.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

x3!

26. Lancer

Lancer

By the way, we do have jack stands under the frame on each side. Hard to tell in the photo. I had someone ask me about that. The jack under the pumpkin is to take the pressure off the bolts at the springs. Yes, safety is important. :)

27. Lancer

Lancer

Kingpin kit came in so Bill from WAC Customs is on it getting the axle put together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  28. Lancer

Lancer

The rear is almost out. I've been down with a back injury so my son has been learning how to turn wrenches. The 8" should be out this weekend. Anyone looking for one?

Attached Files:

• 8%22.jpg
      8%22.jpg
      File size:
      101.3 KB
      Views:
  29. Lancer

Lancer

Goals for the weekend are to get the 8" out and the Mopar set back in and clamped down. It wont be there for long, once it heads to Modesto Rod & Custom they will be pulling it out to start the ladder bar fabrication for it. Hoping to get it to their shop no latter than next saturday. They will be doing the heavy lifting on our suspension set up including the ladder bars and front axle assembly.

Unless we can find an early Bronco 9" rear to put in, plans are to run the Mopar 8 3/4. We can always upgrade latter.

Still looking for some slicks to use for mock up, our first round of tires won't hold air. They are a little too vintage to be useful.

Thanks to all who have ordered shirts in support of this build, it is greatly appreciated.

30. Lancer

Lancer

Its raining so the only thing I accomplished today was talking about the car. But, Bill over at WAC Customs was busy working on our axle. Check out these bad boys. Custom axle ends. Made in the USA!!

Attached Files: