Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 f-600 " hot rod hauler " build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mastergun1980, Feb 21, 2012.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Check to make sure your needle valve isn't sticking. Those old Motorcraft carbs had a habit of doing that if they sat for awhile.

2. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I already checked - in fact it seems to be both front and rear bowls are flooding - And I rebuilt the carb about 2 months ago. When I crank on it fuel shoots throughthose brss vent tubes! And there is a new filter on the carb and another one between the pump and tank.
    If you have any other suggestions I'm open to listen! Thanks

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Check your float level settings next. If its a stock pump it puts out 5-7 psi, I'm wondering about the floats and needle valves.

4. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

5. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Well I got it running today - I drove it a little ( no service brakes ) - The dump bed works - I rode on a step stool! I also cleaned the dash off.
    Oh It's going to a buddys exhaust shop next week It sounds like a stock car right now ( straight manifolds )
    Here a re some pictures
    [​IMG]
    Dove it here
    [​IMG]I'm glad I sprung for this air cleaner I like it way better than the scoop !
    [​IMG]
    I still have a lot of cleaning to do but A little armorall glass cleaner made the dash look a little better !

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

The engine looks good! Btw, it looks like your outside right rear tire is flat.

7. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Both my outside tires are flat and very rotten. I located a decent set but have yet to get em!

8. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

You really are a bargainer and a finder aren't you?? Anyway....awesome job on this. I will stay tuned for the end of this one!!! Great Job!

*For my 600th post, I figured I post on the F-600. Cheesy I know, but kinda cool

9. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Great stuff man!

10. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Yeah I think it's cool. Oh and yeah I'm a trader for sure, I like hunting old cars as much as building em!

11. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I got my exhaust finished a few days ago but just got time to post tonight. My friend who runs an exhaust shop cut me a real good deal and made ma a kit ( custom bent pipes, mufflers and hardware for Very little - I did the final fitting ( very little ) welded the pipes up and installed them. It sounds real cool.
    [​IMG]
    Here are the welded up pipes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I told him I was planing on flared tips so he flared the pipe for me, It's aluminized and polishes pretty nice so I buffed the " tips "
    I'll try to figure out how to post a vid sometime next week.

12. Pharouh

Pharouh

That truck is sweet! I can't get over how rust free it is.
    I've always loved the 53-56 Fords too. Can't wait to hear it run.

13. 29ToyA

29ToyA

14. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

There is something cool about those old big trucks, and yours is looking good. I've got a 57 f600, if I can just find a rear brack drum.lol

15. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

16. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh yeah! Love the sound of them old Y-blocks!

18. HEAVY100

HEAVY100

That's a cool project.

19. Looks and sounds great dude!

20. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

beautiful truck!!! I got a 50 GMC 450 I thought about doin somethin with it, but its rusted to hell. Dont think its even saveable....

21. midcal48

midcal48
    from Hughson,CA

where did you get that aircleaner?

22. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Ebay

23. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I did a little tinkering on the truck. I put the sending unit in for the oil press. dummy light. It works good. The gen light already worked. The fuel gauge wire was missing about 80% so I ran a new one through the door pillar- the gauge works but I am probablly gonna have to replace the sending unit as it is stuck reading full. I also installed a chrome sunpro 3 gauge cluster- I was going to try and hook up the factory temp gauge but the hole in the 292's head is a smaller thread so, I'll just live with the mechanical sunpro gauge.
    [​IMG]
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After

24. That is just insanely cool.

I'm on the prowl for something just like it.

25. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

y blocks are the shit man. awesome

26. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I've driven the truck several times now.... Still no brakes but I have a big farm to goof off on. And I gotta say this truck is real quick. I havn't fixed my speedo yet, but I've driven alot of 2 ton trucks from a 47 chevy all the way to 89 chevy - I can honestlly say my 56 is the quickest 2 ton I've ever driven. It's a blast to drive. I'm gonna start the total brake rebuild soon so I can start driving it around on the street.

27. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I have a 56 F750 and I went on line to " napaonline " and found brake cylinder rebuild kits all the way from 15/16" to 2' from $6 to $30.

The hydrovac is also listed at about $290.

I"m making a ramp truck out of mine.

Attached Files:

28. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Well I finally managed to do the brakes ....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The shoes had plenty of meat to em, the drums were smooth , no broken springs. But.. the fluid system was in bad shape...
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pile of parts that I wish would have fixed the the brakes... All that I was able to use here was the hosea, and master cylinder kit. I had to buy 6 new wheel cylinder ..ouch! At least the master cylinder took a kit well. I blew brake cleaner through the lines both dirrections untill they came clean they looked real good so I kept them .. I used 80 grit sand paper on the drums and shoes to brake any glaze that migth have been present.. Bled it all out and dorve it with brakes ... And It seems like luck may be on my side the hydrovac works great and isn't leaking!
    Here is a pic of the front pass side after cleaning and a new cylinder...
    [​IMG]

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Glad you got it sorted out, being able to stop is kinda a good thing.:rolleyes: :D

30. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I like your truck!