Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Chevy (South East Gasser) "The Vagabond"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bean Dip, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Crank center line is 22"

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

I was concerned about the length on the front spring mounts, I would box them, that gusset you welded in is more than enough. IMHO Glad to see you have it going your way again, I know how it can suck when you can't get past an issue on these beasts. But it sure feels good when you conquer them.

Bean Dip likes this.
  3. Right in line with the times. I can't believe I'll soon be doing this all over again..ha ha

Bean Dip likes this.
  4. cking894

cking894

Hey Bean, your progress looks great. I really like your rear end but it's too rich for my blood. I'm a csob so we try to do everything our selves. Hope you keep moving along and are ready for next season.

Keith

Bean Dip likes this.
  5. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

You said it! Such a weight off.
    I don't think it needs boxing either, but I do think I will add the pipe. The front wheels WILL be leaving the ground.

6. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Now wait...I though you were just getting a new mill?!

7. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thanks Buddy!
    It wasn't easy using that "plastic wrench" but all of the drivetrain will be first class pro-built shit. I can't even build a poor rear end let alone the one sitting on the floor.

I just got some fantastic news tonight..my buddy James Beaver said he will be able to build my engine for me. He used to build pro-mod engines at Reher-Morrison and he also built the engine for "Lil Red" which was one bad little 377. "The Vagabond" is on the way.

enloe likes this.
  8. cs39ford

cs39ford

Bean I see your back on track now Keep on cranking This is my last week to play with mine The Cold country up here is coming soon Time for the winter nap! At swap meet sat and it was snowing!!!!
    Your doing a fine job Can t wait to see it in july!

Bean Dip likes this.
  9. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

It feels good again..got in a funk there for a while. I honestly think my biggest problem was that I was rushing too much and ended up wasting more time than if I had just taken my time in the first place.
    I hate to say this, but it's possible that I won't be able to make it to Meltdown this year.:(
    Reason is I may have to limit myself to one big road trip and I REALLY want to race the SEG bunch in their backyard (Greer). The "Night Stalker" doesn't come to Byron and lining up with Porter is a major motivation for me. If I can put a few coins together (find a sponsor/sell some shirts) I will make both events, but I'm thinking more than likely I'm going to have to choose, but then again I may just find a way to do both!?

10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

MAKE A SHIRT, I WILL BUY ONE.

Bean Dip likes this.
  11. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

LOL! Thanks Enloe. I have a the door design worked out in my head so that could be the front I suppose. The back would be of the car..just not sure is I should wait and see if I pick up any sponsors? Sponsorship is probably unlikely anyway. I will start calling some businesses and see what happens and in the meantime start drawing the shirt. If I get any bites I could always just add them before it goes to print.

12. I know for a fact, that in the early 80's, before NHRA got (more) greedy, and wanted a piece of the pie from racers T-shirt sales, Lil John Lombardo's shirt sales covered his traveling fuel, and Hotel bills for the year!!! If you don't have a truck, or trailer, my favorite idea was to approach a U-Haul franchise to sponsor a truck, trailer and fuel costs. Your white '56 would be perfect for a "U-Haul wrap", and the tag line.., "Across the country, or a quarter mile at a time..,U-haul with us" ;) Use it if you want Bean, I've been carrying that one around since my divorce in 91', back when I didn't have two wood nickels to rub together.
    PS. Tell Puppy Patch, I'm getting lonely over on the 2015 Meltdown thread, I have no one to banter with, and he's fading on me, when I've only used my kindergarten smack talk.., I was so looking forward to using some college age or better smack-o-grams on him. Besides, he opened that Pandora's box, when he asked me which wink mirror to buy so he could see me best. :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    Bean Dip likes this.
  13. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

LOL,I think you scared everybody off Ric!

I realize I'm a small fish but hell if I can offset ANY fuel costs then why not? Maybe make up some posters for people shops that would be cheaper and easy to ship? Like a half to a 1/3 the price of a shirt. I would really take my time on the artwork and then have someone "digitalize" it and clean it up for printing. I think that by me doing the artwork it will have more of the feel of what I'm trying to do and represent.

14. cs39ford

cs39ford

That would cool if you could make both but sometimes the cheese will only go so far. Again keep up the good work Full Throttle Ahead Stand on it Stroker!

Bean Dip likes this.
  15. Bean Dip, here's something to break up your focus…..ha ha This is the new 489 power plant for the J

[​IMG]

Bean Dip likes this.
  16. CGkidd

CGkidd

What did that get pulled from?

17. An 11 foot tall mud truck, damn thing was like a monster truck with skinny tractor tires. Looks clean inside and now outside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bean Dip likes this.
  18. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Holy Cow that's super cool! Good score man! Looking forward to hearing that one sing.

19. I'm going to drop it into the truck to get it running and get some anti-freeze through it for this upcoming winter. I'm just waiting on my incision to heal a little more but got the green light from the doctor yesterday….which was nice
    The engine has AFR 305 heads, internal balance Eagle crank, Scatt rods and SRP pistons 10-1 pump gas friendly, hydraulic flat tappet cam of unknown lift.

20. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I love AFR heads! That sounds like a good plan with the truck. Happy to hear your doctor is encouraged too. Health issues Suck!!! Try not to push yourself too hard and ease back into a groove. Hard to do some times when you have a plan.

21. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Soooooo...been thinking..in light of what Quain said about sponsorship I realize I can quickly drop any notions of that happening and save my time...PLUS..I don't want the aggravation that goes with it. Keep the whole thing fun and independent as it should be for me at least.

Got some ideas brewing for a shirt and possibly a poster. I will begin drawing it out soon and let you guys help me decide what you like. I don't expect to get overrun with requests but will be thrilled with whatever comes from it. It will be fun to do either way.

22. rascal55

rascal55

Bean , you quit , fall in a hole, sell your car, where you been ???

23. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

My new schedule has me working a lot of days in a row but I have a 3 day weekend starting tomorrow. I'll be right back at it in the morning.

24. rascal55

rascal55

Just checkin , missed your Shiner outlook on all things gasser !!!!!

Bean Dip likes this.
  25. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

LOL! I have plenty of Shiner on hand..been on a Tecate kick her lately.

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Hey Bean what's happening:)

27. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Well, this morning I went over to my buddy James's and he got me off to a good start on my ladder bars. It's nice to have a friend that just so happens to be a top shelf machinist/engine builder/fabricator/painter etc,etc with equipment galore. When I told him my plans to make my own ladder bars he recommended me to use 1" round tube with 0.156" wall thickness so that I could tap it and simply thread in my heims...no muss no fuss. He then invited me over and proceeded to cut and tap them for me on his lathe! Saved me a ton of work welding and cutting not to mention the $ on weld bungs and the quality is unbeatable. Got to visit a bit too. If he looks familiar it's because he has has been on TV building shit on a reality show that shall go unnamed. :)
    Thanks James!

28. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Oh yeah..and they also build fully functional cannons. This one had just come back from a parade. They meltdown old carburetors to make zinc cannon balls for it.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413735980.270523.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413735999.302020.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413736019.579768.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413736035.824209.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413736052.957999.jpg

His father raced top fuel in the 60's and now just blows shit up for kicks.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  29. cs39ford

cs39ford

shop winter storage.jpg The guy down the road also blows up stuff(with civil war cannons) Keep up the good work As for now all the toys are taking there short winter nap!! So keep updates coming since you can still play. Time to arm chair race here till March!!

Bean Dip likes this.
  30. Bean. Keep up the great work. If you get a cannon we need video of it being shot. LOL!!

Bean Dip likes this.