Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Chevy (South East Gasser) "The Vagabond"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bean Dip, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Butch M

Butch M

DJ I guarantee your when your 56 is done it will as famous as all those 56's can't wait to see that bad ass run stay after it look'n good

Bean Dip likes this.
  2. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Now you went and done it Butch, can't hardly tote this big Cro-Magnon head around as it is. Very nice of you to say. Thank you!

If it does become well known I hope it's for being a true asphalt warrior. Looking to race the best cars and have it hold it's own. Won't always win, but fight hard every time.

3. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

"for some reason or 'nother, you sounded taller on radio" Keep rockin that build!!!

Bean Dip likes this.
  4. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

LOL, Thanks man!!! Actually one of the reasons for the videos was that I wanted to come out from behind the avatar. It's cool to have an online personality, but I wanted to be totally honest about the whole thing.

5. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Bean Dip likes this.
  6. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thanks! I started the videos on a whim...just came to me that I hadn't seen it done before. They take a little more time to do, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. I have a tripod and actual video camera that I should probably drag out at some point.

7. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

LOL, Thanks Jimmy! I won't play coy on the engine..it really is a 496 BIG BLOCK. I am going to have to have it blown apart and gone through before I can run it. Probably have some work done as well. All this is for not if my mill is a turd!

P.s my rear end still has your name on it........damn, that came out bad..

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

Did you get traded to Jimmy for a pack of cigarettes once Bean?
    Was it while you were inside over that Jaywalking beef?
    See,I TOLD you to plead insanity!:D

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ps: It's 3:58am and I am up and getting ready for work.
    My brain is marmalade right now.

Dear Mister BD,please makey car go vroom vroom,me likey.
    Wanna see big scary wheelies and stuff!

I can't wait to see that big Ol 496 nestled under the cowl and that bitchin scoop you fabbed.
    If one part has that much thought put into the design,and skill used on the execution,then this car overall is going to blow people away.

Keep at it Brother,I can't wait to see you take this thing down the road for the first time!:)

Scott

10. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I blame it all on my attorney..
    funny-lawyer.jpg

11. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thanks Scott, I'm trying real hard! Always thinking about it, most nights I have a bit of trouble going to sleep because it's still on my mind...not in a bad way, just excited about the project and wanting to do my best.
    Kinda took this week off to rest and order my paint supplies. I have a "white" paint coming in and if it matches great and if not then that's how it's supposed to be. So much fun having a car that I can take those kind of liberties with.

12. Gears? Yes, the ring and piniony type.
    Cam Specs? Yes, it has sixteen lobes, a fuel pump excentric, a drive pin for the cam gear (and three 5/16 x 24 bolt hole too), and a distributor drive gear.

13. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

What fink told you all that!!!? :)

14. I can't believe that you still haven't read the memoirs of Yesterdays Child, as chronicled in Hot Rod Magazine..,Sniff. I'm gonna have to rename her "Yesterdays News Step Child Chopped Liver Has Been Lazeraus the Beggar at the Gate"..,sniff. :(

15. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I read it but with interruptions from the kiddos. I need to go back to it when they are in bed. What I understand of it though is miraculous!

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

I can guarantee you're gonna dig it.....Car has loads of history and Mojo,and it is run today by the nicest bunch of guys you're likely to meet at any track anywhere in the country.

Except for me....Cause I'm REALLY swell...!:D

Seriously though,car is KILLER,and the Pannetons are 'salt of the earth' type guys,as the saying goes.:)

Scott

17. We heart Scott! Well, I haven't been too nice to ole "Moon Sprocket" lately, dang bad voices won't leave me alone!

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

He brings it upon himself though Ric.

Actually,if we keep saying his name I'm afraid he will show up....I vote that from here on out he's referred to as........

.....BEETLEJUICE..! :D

Anyway,the new front end on the car looks great,and you should throw some pic of it up here.
    Your Bullet fab guy is one slick cat with a pile of chromoly and a TIG torch!:)

Heck,my Dad was REALLY impressed,and he is one of the smoothest fabricators I have ever met,who really has a high standard for quality.

The old Girl has some new tricks up her sleeve I guess,huh?
    Can't wait for next years meltdown to see the big scary engine combo!:)

Scott

19. powrshftr

powrshftr

So, Bean,remind me again what the overall combo is going to be? 496 CI BBC, power glide, deep gears?
    And you are planning on running stack Injection, correct?

Man I can't wait to see that car run....!

Scott

20. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Yes to all of the above Scott. 3" kinsler stacks (magnesium).

I'll will back at it bright and early tomorrow morning. Paint has not made it in yet, but have misc things to keep me busy. Probably not video worthy though...unless I get thirsty...

Bad Banana likes this.
  21. Hell yeah, keep postin' BD! Folks need their Vagabond fix. Better than reality TV.:D

Bean Dip likes this.
  22. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Super cool! I think the difference is that my crap is...well REAL! Happy to know someone is enjoying them.

23. When I got married to my first wife, we didn't have any money. We borrowed my dad's '73 Laguna, and went to Vegas.., believe it or not, we stayed at "The Vagabond Hotel" a couple blocks off the strip. :)

24. If she's really fast when you get her done, I might call her "The Bag of Gone!" Just to kick you in the shins a bit for going with the Powerslide, we just scored a recently freshened wide gear Jerico (second to last design with thrust washers between the gears, and a 3.19 low & shifter for 2 grand for a spare for Yesterdays Child. You positive you don't want to join the frey? They're out there, and its a buyers market right now.

25. I screwed around and bought a blower setup and now have my head locked onto "I got to have a 496"...ha ha ha The build is coming along great, keep posting !

Bean Dip likes this.
  26. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I think what prevents me from doing it even more than the cost and money involved is running leaves in the back. I have put a car into a guardrail and had one slide at 150 through the traps. I like nice and straight...predictability is a wonderful thing! I stood "Lil Red" straight up one night and did a 300 foot wheelie the next time out. That was with 4-link!
    This car is gonna be a handful anyway.. I would LOVE to run with you guys but I'm just going to have to settle on being the fastest... LOL!

loudbang likes this.
  27. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

LOL! Thanks Swade. Blowers are cool.. Wanna go faster just swap pulleys! Got to where I was upping the boost at every event. Doing straight injection this time because when you run blown injected alcohol you get a bit more scrutiny from officials. At least I do when racing outside of Texas.
    Looking forward to seeing that J!

28. TOUCHE'

29. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I had to look twice..I thought you said DOUCHE! LOL! Aw hell...it's not about who's the fastest anyway. I just like being part of something bigger than myself...the kinship of my fellow racers...sharing our love of automobiles through sport....kooooombahyaaaa my looooooord koooooombahyaaaahhhhhh~

30. Tell it son tell it!