Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Chevy Headliner Install Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick's Speed Shop, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Slick's Speed Shop

Slick's Speed Shop

Hi everyone, I have a 1956 Chevy 150 4 door sedan at a buddy's shop. They painted it for me and are putting it back together. One of our arguments is on headliner installation. I would like to know if I am missing some information. I am being told that the headliner needs to be installed before the front and rear windshields. I think it would cause unnecessary difficulties and costs to be done over again after finding out it was done out of order. I know the stainless trim around the windshields would especially be difficult since the headliner would be in the way of fastening the corners down. My 150 does not have garnish moldings to hold up the rear headliner like my brother's 55 belair. Am I missing some information that would make it necessary to install the headliner before installing the windshields?

Thanks,
    Todd

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I don't know about the Chevy scheme of things, but on my 54 Lincoln Capri, the back window had to come out first before replacing the headliner. After doing the job, the idea is to tuck the headliner under the window gasket.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

I have a '55 Chevy and replaced my headliner recently. Headliner can be installed before OR after windows, but it easier with the windows out (simply better access). It is rare for a headliner to be installed without windows in place, though. Trim shops don't remove windows to install headliners ... The headliner doesn't actually come in contact with any glass EVER ....

4. snaptwo

snaptwo

Ciadella's has a video on trifive headliner installation. You don't have to remove the glass to do it however the upper windshield stainless can't be R&R'd unless the glass is out. Plenty of info over on <trifive.com>

5. Slick's Speed Shop

Slick's Speed Shop

Thanks for the quick responses. I saw the Ciadella video and I am all for doing the install after the glass is in. The situation is that the upholstery shop my buddy uses is procrastinating on doing the job and I am planning on making the point to finish putting the glass in and the car back together. Then when I get the car back, I will take it to an upholstery shop closer to where I live who wants the work.

6. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 56 sedans don´t have rear garnish mouldings. The headliner goes into an extra lip in the rear glass seal. I did the headliner first, glass second, but you can do it the other way round aswell.

7. Folding the headliner over the glass seal lip at either the front or rear windows (or both) was pretty common on OEM applications well into the 80s. It guaranteed that the headliner wouldn't come loose. Many trim shops don't pull the glass when replacing a headliner, but it has to be very well glued under the seal when you do it this way. Basically, it's a shortcut and not the OEM method.

8. It is much easier to replace the front tack strip with the windshield out. That being said, I put mine in with all of my glass in. Only real problem I had was that the runners on the headliner where the bows run through were too long.When the headliner was pulled to the sides to take the wrinkles out the runners were at the ends of the bows and could not be pulled further. That means I ended up with some wrinkles. I would snip the runners back at least 2 inches so that the headliner can be pulled tighter to the sides. Be sure to have good tack strips all around. Use correct length staples and an electric stapler. Its much easier.... P.S. My cuz used angel hair or cotton batten above the headliner to fluff it out and take up wrinkles in his Chevy.

9. Good shop can put the headliner in with glass in. 55 had rear garnish others didn't. Most shop glue the headliner. Can't get good tacking strip anymore. Early 55 had screws in the front corners of the w/shield opening to hold tack strips

10. Slick's Speed Shop

Slick's Speed Shop

Thanks guys for the good info. I am better prepared now and feel better about the situation. I understand why someone would have preferences. We are giving this upholstery shop one more week to come do the install before we try it ourselves. I'll be excited to try this install myself and learn a new skill.