Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1956 Chevy donor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James Jackson, Feb 18, 2019.

Tags:
?

Should I do it like this?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2019.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Jackson

James Jackson

I have a 1956 Chevy I’m building from the ground up. Due to financial concerns and my kids I haven’t had the money to do what I want to do to it. Thinking about just getting a 77 Chevy pick up or something with a good motor and transmission and putting in will that work? If not what would? Maybe a Camaro for the cheap and put the disk break conversation and the motor and transmission? Also no drive train on mine, maybe one will work from another Chevy? Any thoughts?

2. squirrel

squirrel

is your 56 Chevy a car, or a truck?

The engine and transmission from a 1970s Chevy pickup or Camaro (or other mid or full size car) would probably be a good easy swap into a 56.

But having more details about your Chevy, and what you plan to do with it, and of course some pictures of it, will help us help you figure out what might be the best thing for you to do.

scotty t and Moriarity like this.
  3. raymay

raymay

I used a later model small block motor and tranny in my 56 car. Still have the stock rear-end. Put many miles on it the past several years including a couple trips from New York to Michigan each year. There are companies that make the correct motor and tranny mounts for the conversion. Set it up with your radiator in the 6 cyl position which will give you more room allowing for a mechanical fan and a fan shroud.

100_1740.JPG

Gman0046 and scotty t like this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Cheapest way to go is to keep everything as 56 Chev as possible. Rebuild the original brakes, suspension, etc. by replacing worn parts don't forget new shock absorbers and an alignment, they don't cost much and are well worth the money. Parts are available from your local parts stores or Rockauto and other online sellers. For rare parts like chrome and upholstery there are vintage Chev parts companies that sell reproduction parts.

For engine and trans you have a choice of millions of Chev small blocks made from 1955 to today. One from a 77 pickup is fine. Use as is or get a cheap overhaul kit from Summit. Watch your local Craigslist or Facebook ads for cheap intake, carb, headers, etc. Use it stock or build it mild for street use and decent mileage.

Friend of mine got all the parts he needed from the local Pic N Pull junkyards. A decent engine, intake, carb, cam, lifters, valve covers, headers, MSD ignition, all came off junked cars for pennies on the dollar. This was to build a Chev 350 for his 1972 Chev pickup truck.

Lots of guys have built budget Chevies. Use your head and don't get carried away and you can have a nice car for the price of a second hand Toyota.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Truckdoctor Andy likes this.

5. Any sbc and tranny will more or less drop in.

To keep it on a budget try and keep it as much 56 Chevy as you can.

Trim, paint and interior can get expensive if your going for that “perfect” or “fancy” finish.

The nice thing is drivetrain, suspension, steering, brakes etc is all relatively cheap. A lot of stuff does cross over to other models and years as well so parts sourcing is easier then some cars.
    And just about every part is being repoped and made.
    Also these cars are super popular so used parts are all over and reasonable to buy.

Post some pics, come to think of it I’m just assuming it’s a car, could be a truck or.....,
    Pics man pics !!!

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

One hit wonder post?:D seems like we see a lot of those......Been a while since I dealt with this but chevy v8s up until the late 80s or 90s still have provisions/threaded bolt holes for the front stool engine mounts like came out in 55 on the first sbc......not sure but I think at some point, maybe 86/87 when they started more commonly having throttle body fuel injection on em, they had a plate bolted over the mechanical fuel pump area on the block, and had a factory electric pump for the injection, I cant remember now but not sure if those engines had a cam with a lobe that actuates the fuel pump......Ive done a few of those swaps but always used the earlier style ones with the old style valve covers, mechanical pump etc not the later center bolt valve cover one if we are just talking factory donor stuff. (center intake to head bolts are angled different on carb versus fuel injection too but can be made work)
    Some will say to install side mounts especially if youve got a lot of power goin on which is probably the best idea but Ive used just the old factory type front stools and a 70s etc.camaro,nova etc rear trans crossmember (same as used in kits)on a 350/350 combo most of the time,You just need to fab or buy a couple short pieces of angle iron to mount your crossmember to (I have welded and also bolted them to the frame as thats the same thing you do with a "kit".

...I also like just a simple dual reservoir master cylinder, 68 chevelle drum/drum master is what I ask for at the parts house(cheap) and split the front line from the back with necessary hardware that you can find what you need, probably here, with a search, I cant remember exactly what I used but was pretty simple and I think they stop good if adjusted correctly and are in good working order......Im sure disc may be better but I like the drums just fine.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Pics and intro works wonders around here. Get it running and driving before paint and interior.