Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Chevy 210 - what's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gigem, Mar 17, 2011.

1. gigem

gigem

Car was restored 7 years ago. Crate 350, TH 350 trans. Some bondo on lower rear quarters, not much. Interior redone. Vintage Air. Nice driver, local car shows, but not a show car.

Been is same family since new. Has under 70,000 miles on it. Very few replacement or aftermarket parts.

What would a fair price be?

Thanks in advance.

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

not as much as it was before the economy went to hell. some think 4 doors are worth $12000, while 2 doors sell on ebay regularly at 7-9k.

current market doesn't fetch what it is really worth.

3. gigem

gigem

It is a 2 door...

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

somewhere between $300.00 and $50,000.00

5. I am not intentionally trying to be a smart a$$, but its worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

Having said that, I own a 56 210 two door and had it "appraised" by a reputable classic/muscle car dealer here in Houston before the economy hit the skids. He pegged it at $10,000 - $12,000 back in 2006.

Mine is a 66,000 mile survivor that has been in my family since it was new, not restored like yours. So that means it has some rust issues, shiny but tired paint, original but tired interior, original 235 inline six that runs great, rebuilt original powerglide, fresh brakes including shoes - wheel cylinders - master cylinder - brakes hoses, everything in the front suspension is freshly rebuilt, fresh shocks, fresh tires, new water pump, re-cored radiator and she's a driver. I drive her several times a week.

People ask me all the time what I think its worth and I say, "whatever the next guy will pay." Realistically, in today's market I'd expect to get $7500 - $10,000 IF I had to sell it.

Yours might bring more since it does not sound like it has any of the rust issues mine does and has been restored.

Just my two cents.

Attached Files:

6. The "look" has alot to do with what the car will fetch too. IF it has some dumbass paint color or cheesy wheels no one will care what a person has invested in it. But based off the description...I'd say 15-25k, but if it's just a bone stock car with a crate engine....there's no flash that would warrant a higher price tag, especially if the paint isn't cherry.
    I'd consider this a pretty educated guess too. I sold my '56 210 4 door wagon for $20,000 in 2004. It had a junkyard engine and trans, new paint, new chrome, new glass, powersteering, a/c/ huge stereo, tilt wheel, disc brakes with drop spindles, new exhaust doug thorley headers, billet 17" wheels...full custom tweed interior...etc.... 2 doors always seem to be worth more. But you can see my car had alot done to it..and all I could get was 20k.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  7. gigem

gigem

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

you aren't getting hurt at 13k.

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Chevys sell for a lot more than Fo-Mocos or those Brand X. Best bet is to search the market and see what a comparable 56 is selling for and then set the price accordinly but if you feel the offer is too low then don't sell unless you really really need the money. By the way, where you sell it also makes a difference. It will sell for more out here in SoCal than say St. Louis, MO.

10. 6inarow

6inarow

I thought they sell for $7-9K on ebay??

11. It is worth what you and and a buyer agree to.

Once again, this is the ONLY answer to ALL "WIW?" threads.

12. Yep, and just ignore them value guides.

'56 210 2dr post $13,500 per my 8/10 Old Cars Report. Which means it would sell for less most likely. '56 is the least desirable tri-five -

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

exactly what your willing to pay, and what the owner is willing to part with it for..and not a dollar less or more

14. yep!

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Not bad look'n, thats the original color combo to the 56 in avatar. I might pay 15 for it just to have it and say this is how the other looked backed in the day.

16. Squablow

Squablow

You'd probably get a lot more for it if the pictures in your ad made any sense. You have pictures of a finished car and a bunch of a car that's apart. Makes it look like the car is not finished yet. I often see the opposite, pictures of a complete, assembled car and then a description that says the car is fully disassembled for restoration. Very misleading.

That rating shit at the end of your description doesn't make much sense either. I wouldn't bother putting that into the ad. The rest of your ad is one big paragraph which makes it hard to read.

I won't comment on what I think the car is worth, but if you really want to sell it, take a whole bunch of much better pictures of the car as it sits right now. You can mention that you have pictures of it in-progress but don't put them in the ad, just let people know you have them available.

Then re-write your description, breaking it up into easy to read paragraphs describing the different aspects of the car (engine, interior, exterior, ect). Also, if the trans is leaking, fix it now so your buyer doesn't have to deal with it. That's really killing it, who wants to pay premium money for a car that needs work right off the bat. Offering money back to fix the transmission just screams out that this is a poorly maintained car that will be a ton of hassles in the future.

The right pictures and description make all the difference.

17. gigem

gigem

Thanks for the replies. For the record, I am not the seller. I am the potential buyer.

Seller's reserve on the eBay auction was $26,000, which seems quite high to me.

Really doubt he will go for $15k, much less a lower amount. Think I might just walk on this one.

Agree that his auction listing was not great.

Thanks.

18. the economy has bearing on current market reguardless of what somebody wants. average restoration is 1000 hours x $$$ per hour at most shops so figure out that any shop i have been to lately is $40ph+ that car isn't too far out of line.