Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Chevy 210 Handyman inheritance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HandymanMan, Jan 19, 2013.

1. HandymanMan

HandymanMan

Hey guys, new to the board. Wanted to share my new(ish) inheritance...

In September, my father in law, Dave, passed away, leaving me his 1956 Chevrolet 210 Handyman 2-door wagon. He bought this car in the mid '70s, when it originally had a 265 and a 3-on-the tree. When my wife was born, they decided to move back here to Maine to be with family. The 265 was on its last legs, so Dave bought a low-mile 409 out of a neighbor's hay truck, and a junkyard Catalina 4-speed Muncie, and installed them in his Chevy wagon and drove it for a bit before loading it and his family into the wagon and his '61 GMC Jimmy farm truck, and trekking across the USA to Maine. Once he got here, he parked it in his new(old) house's barn, intending to restore the car. It never happened. It's been sitting in there since, 30 years.

Out in Washington, they didn't use salt, they used chains, and it never saw a Maine winter, so there is almost NO body rot in this car. It's partially disassembled, deep in the throes of resto-hopes, but it pretty much just got gutted, parts strewn about, and used as a storage container. The floorboards are pretty much shot, from the firewall to just under the rear seat. The rear deck (station wagon area) is very solid. The body mounts and suspension bushings are wiped right out, and broke/fuel lines are crusty, as can be expected. But the old bias-ply tires are still full of air! :)

I got news that I inherited it, and (mostly)cleaned the car out, and did some research. The engine, which I feared was a 348, or a truck 409 (since it came from a hay truck), decodes to a '64-'65 Passenger Car 409, with a 4-barrel Rochester carb, 340hp, Powerglide transmission. The trans, which Dave swore was a Rockcrusher, is a long-tailshaft M20/M21 (haven't run the numbers yet) that only came in mid '60's Pontiac Catalinas.

The 409 has been sitting for untold years with the spark plugs out...I filled the cylinders up with Marvel's Mystery Oil, and have been letting it sit for a couple months. I did try to crawl under it with a crankshaft rotating tool (409s didn't have harmonic balancer bolts; they are pressed on...grumble grumble) to try to spin the flywheel, but I couldn't get the leverage to try to spin it, so I have no idea if the motor spins or not. Plans are to pull the trans and starter, cut all the belts, get the car up in the air, and try again when I can really get under the motor for leverage.

My thoughts are to pull the 409 and sell it to build a mild, but healthy SBC (I know, I know) for the car, even as cool as the 409 is. Normally, I wouldn't, but the plain and simple fact is that I won't be able to afford to even get this car on the road for many, many years unless I get the financial jumpstart from selling the 409. My wife is excited to ride in it again, as is my son. So, I have high expectations from everyone around, but no $$$, ya dig? :D

What's a 409 bringing these days? Both running and siezed up? The motor is all there, and never been apart, so it's pretty unmolested, down to the original Quadra-jet.

Dig the pics! This is how the car sits now. Thanks everyone for looking, I'll post more as things develop!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1964countrysedan likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nice!, If it was mine (I know, opinions are like a** holes) I would leave that 409 in it. It's got a period story to it not like today's band wagon mentality of today. Also, if you was to keep the 409, leave it dress up like it is. Rechrome whats needs to be and paint engine just as it is now. By the way, what steering box is that? It's nothing like a 605 nor was the 605 around back then.

fast30coupe likes this.
  3. slammed

slammed

I'll take it! How much for the car and all the parts?

4. Congratulations on the wagon,,sorry to hear about your fatherinlaw.

I suspect the engine ain't gonna bring in a lot of money but the sbc makes for getting the car on the road quicker,

Keep us posted as you start the build. HRP

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

why not hold onto that She's Real Fine 409 and install a mouse motor for now. Later when funds permit, you can rebuild the 09 and drop it back in. You know, those 2 door (non-Nomad) wagons are hard to find. Most are 4 doors.

6. Thumper

Thumper

Damn........an A/fx tach.......sold by J.C. Penny back in the day. Great time capsule you got. Good luck with whichever way you go with it. :D

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

very cool-- shop that 09 around they bring nice bucks when they are complete----looks like a great start--get it on the road---good luck

8. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

PM scharleyride if you are wanting to get rid of the 409

9. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

nice looking wagon

10. Welcome from CT!

11. Model T1

Model T1

Hey Handyman, that is a great intro. Wish others would take a hint. That wagon has some great history. I'd sure try to get the 409 running and just slowly clean everything up to make a driver until the funds come later on. I missed a rebuilt 409 for my Handyman and sure wished I had it. Who cares what fuel mileage it will get. That's a class act right there.
    Can't believe that the floors etc are gone when the wagon lived a fairly decent life. Even mine being used by a plumber year around in snowy salty Illinois wasn't too bad.
    Good luck with your project. Be prepared for people to tell ya you have a nice Nomad!;)

12. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

good start,good luck with the build.I'd try to hang on to that 409

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one thing for certain, a running 409 is worth more than one that all you can say is it has been sitting for 30 years. I'd try to get that sucker running befoe I did anything, you never know, it may run great.

14. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Awesome inheritance! My condolences on the loss of your father-in-law.

I would do whatever I could; sell plasma, pick up aluminum cans (oh wait, they're already recycled in Maine, aren't they?) or break into my granddaughter's piggy bank to keep that 409. It's an awesome mill for that wagon!

Good luck on your build.

15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I hope you keep it as is BUT If it's a real 409 and not a 348 I will trade you a complete from pan to carb, fan to trans, numbers matching, rebuilt, 1956 Chevy 265. You pay shipping and I will throw in the rebuilt Powerglide! The motor and trans were built for a '56 Vert., house & garage burns down but motor and trans were at another location.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  16. belair

belair

If it's going to be a hot rod, I would think about keeping the current drivetrain. But if it's going to be a driver or cruiser, I would sell the '09 and the Pontiac tranny ($$$?) in a heartbeat. An SBC will fit like it was made for it. ;), and a th350, 700 trans or stick are easy-peasy. Then you should have money left over for floor pans or other stuff. Don't drink the KoolAid on the "bellybutton" motor. The car is plenty cool and unique, regardless of the drivetrain. And I am diggin that tach.

17. What a time capsule! Do what you can to get it on the road and bring your family for a ride. I'm sure it'll bring back memories for your wife.

18. HandymanMan

HandymanMan

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm baffled too as to why the floorboards are shot (put my knee through one cleaning it out!) but hey, gotta roll with it.

I know junkyard 305/350s are still pretty obtainable these days; maybe I can find one with a crank that's drilled for a pilot bushing and drop 'er in to tool around in, and keep the 409 in the corner for a rainy, greener-wallet day. :)

I know Danchuks makes a lot of stuff for this car; anyone else?

19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Now that you have the marvel mystery oil in it and it being a straight shift,try pushing/rocking the car back and forth in gear to break it loose or you may even try to pull/tow it and release the clutch to break it loose.
    I know the skeptics will say you will break something doing this, and it may be possible but I never have and I have done sevral this way over the years and have had very good results.

If it were mine I would take a chance on it and if something did break I would move on to the sbc.
    I could be wrong but a broke 409 probably wont bring much less than a stuck one anyway. just my .02

(The trans was out of gear when you tried to turn it wasnt it?)

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Another vote to keep and get that 409 running. You already own it, why not try? Keep the car's soul alive.

21. raymay

raymay

Looks like a good solid start to a nice ride. The 409 is a nice touch but I'm with you. If you can get a good buck for it, the money can help finance your build. I good small block is dependable and can be better on fuel if that is what your looking for. Been running a small blocks in all my cars including my 56. They get me where I want to go including yearly trips from New York to Michigan to see my son and cruise Woodward.
    Have fun with your build. You only really have to please one person and that is yourself.

Attached Files:

22. n847

n847

I'd try to get the 409 running and rock it out, cause you're gonna get hosed on it if you can't confirm its condition anyway. Get your self a Harbor Freight engine stand, rent or borrow a puller, yank that bad boy out and pull it apart to see what it looks like. I'm sure you can get it cleaned up and throw some new gaskets in there for the same cost of purchasing, and doing the same with a small block!
    Thats just my .02 good luck!

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Before you give up on the '09 and while the front clip is off you might try using a 2X4 and the bolts for the crank pulley. Remove the pulley put the bolts back in and use the 2X4 to pry against them to turn the crank. I inadvertently pumped a good engine full of water.(long story) I used Marvel Mystery oil and the long 2X4 persuader to break loose the stuck engine. I went back an forth until it finally broke loose. You would not believe the shit that came out of the plug holes. I was sure that it was toast but It was close to starting so I kept going.

[​IMG]

This was taken about a year later. Remember the engine was full of water and not just rust from humidity. I never looked inside to see what the cylinders looked like. It took a day or two to break it loose but I had nothing to lose so I started it up and drove it for several years. I'd guess that my frozen engine was a lot worse inside than yours. If it works your golden if it doesn't you haven't lost much. JMO

24. t-towndave

t-towndave

That's going to be a cool wagon !!

25. t-towndave

t-towndave

Keep the 409 it bad a$$ in it

26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

IIRC the quadrajet didn't come out until '68...I would guess that had a 4GC originally [to the 409] just a thought..

dave

27. sololobo

sololobo

Tough way to get a cool ride, do your friend proud and get it driving again. You know what you need to do on the mill. Although I agree it would be an ultimate powertrain. Rock n Roll bro. ~sololobo~

28. devilleish

devilleish

That wagon is great! I've wanted a '56 210 Handyman since I learned what one was.
    Check out www.trifive.com also... I split my time between there and here. Both places are a wealth of information.

29. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

this^^^ i've wanted a 2dr wagon since i was a kid. love those things.i would try some trans fluid cut 50/50 with acetone in those cylinders. keep the 409, throw a small block in it for now,and enjoy it.

30. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'll throw in another vote to leave the 409 in it . Fix the body while you gather bits for the 409 and it'll all work out in the end . Anyone can toss a generic 350/350 in something like that wagon , you've already got something different and cool !

Sorry 'bout your father-in-law , BTW