Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1956 Buick Carter Carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rztrike, May 29, 2018.

1. rztrike

rztrike

Hoping someone can help me. My 56 Buick Special has a 2 barrel Carter carb. I seem to be missing the throttle return dashpot and bracket. The engine starts and runs well but i have to manually lower the throttle return to idle if not it wants to race away. Can someone direct me to the parts I need? I have seen a diagram and it looks like there is a separate bracket that mounts to the intake and then the dashpot mounts to it. Didn't know if the new dashpots have a bracket already mounted.
    Thank you in advance

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If you have to pull it back to idle speed, you have linkage wear, worn parts, or something installed wrong. The dashpot slows sudden throttle closing, but doesn't (shouldn't) affect idle speed.

3. Throttle return spring should be completely separate from the dashpot. One of the intake bolts should have a bracket with a hold in it for a spring, the other end goes back to the back of the engine somewhere.

4. rztrike

rztrike

Thank you all for the reply. I was thinking wear also but didn't know exactly how the dashpot affected the linkage. I thought that once the engine started and the intake vacuum increased the dashpot would kick down the choke/high idle. My throttle spring is separate so I didn't think that was the culprit.. I will look a little closer. Thanks again

5. 264 or 322?

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That's a choke break .. they don't show up for a few more years.

7. rztrike

rztrike

8. rztrike

rztrike

I wanted to follow up with results. Looking at the carb, everything looked fine but I decided to take it off for a better inspection since my eyes don't see like they used to. Took the linkage apart to look for wear and in the process I forgot just that quickly where all the pieces went. Looked up a picture to check and it was then I realized that the linkage had not been in the correct spot to begin with. I believe the previous owner had positioned the linkage in a way to keep the choke open all the time. Starts up and idles fine now. Thank for all your help

302GMC likes this.