Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1956/57 Lincoln Continental Mark II

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Oct 17, 2007.

1. uncle buck

uncle buck

I have a friend thats been talking about selling one recently . Its Black with some trim shaved and I think he even updated the upholstery recently, don't know why as he never drives it. They are definately cool cars though.

2. fordtech

fordtech

We've got a 56 at work. I love how the floor is sunk down when you sit in it, oh yeah and the a/c vents blow from the headliner. They're really a cool, nice riding car.

3. barry2952

barry2952

The Mark II is the first Ford product with a ladder frame. All previous Fords had X frames and a flat floor. The space in-between the rungs of the ladder frame allowed for a 6" drop in seating height and roof height. Compare a similar vintage product from any maker and you'll see a significantly higher belt and roof line.

Another thing that kept the car low was the fact that the exhaust exited the engine compartment through the fender well to a space between the side of the frame and the rocker panel. This allowed them to make the car 2" closer to the ground with no need to clear the exhaust pipes.

4. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

and to think Elvis had four 56's! NICE rides!

5. autowerksracing

autowerksracing

while doing a google search i stumbled across this site. the car pictured has been in my family for the last twenty years or so. in the last year and a half it has gone through a complete nut and bold restoration. its last stop is interior to recreate its original form.

it is absolutely stunning and has been a joy to own, however it will be for sale soon. in addition to this car, I have quite a few other interesting pieces like the 1970 george barris singletub bathtub, a bob butz built lincoln futura, a 1966 bob butz built batmobile(i have the molds to both these cars), a 1966 don currie batmobile(the only steel batmobile in existence), a 1989 keaton batmobile with molds and several others.

all these cars have been tucked away for 20 plus years. when they sell I hope they go to someone who will proudly display for others enjoyment

Attached Files:

6. twochops

twochops

Went to a small 2 hour car show yesterday was surprised to see the second of two factory Mark II Convertible show up.
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

barry2952 and biggeorge like this.
  7. I stumbled across this thread and have just finished reading everyone's input on these beautiful cars. I remember going with my mother to the a Lincoln dealer where she attempted to get them to take both our '52 Lincoln and '55 T-Bird in trade toward one. Those that know my mother's background in customizing should realize how awesome the design of the Mark II is if she was so willing to give them up. The profile is a great example of placement of the passenger compartment to the rear of center with a long front end. If, in fact, the early T-Birds were based on the MkII, the '55 was the truest of the three. The '56 Bird had that Continental kit slapped on the rear changing its proportions while the '57 centered the passenger compartment by lengthening the trunk area. I have yet to understand how the worst design of the three has become the most popular. Getting back to the MkII, eliminating the "tire bubble" may look alright in profile, but from the rear it would look too much like the '57 Ford Skyliner (minus the fins) and that is one ugly rearend.

8. My buddy went to an estate sale of a Lincoln collector in Pampa Tx around 2002-2003 , bought 3 parts cars that the guy had out side in the elements, I think he had abt $1500 tied up in the whole bunch. I wish I had before pictures, but hears proof that you can make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
    [​IMG]

9. That is one gorgeous car!!

10. Real candy apple blue (royal) ,white leather,2 inch white walls stock hubcaps cut to fit inset on the wheel about 2 inches in, and a sunroof like the 1960t-bird had from the factory.I like the hump....but thats me......OH yeah A/C

11. gonmad

gonmad

One of these sold at auction yesterday for $15,500. It was a 56, white with maroon interior and needed resto'd. Was all there and in pretty good shape tho! Prolly worth the money!

12. There's one down the road from me in REALLY rough shape. I'm looking to see if it gets restored or modded. Right now it has nothing to lose if it gets rodded!

I took this at a Ford show years ago. It won best of show. It was immaculate.

Attached Files:

13. vancec

vancec
    from yucaipa

I've always loved the Lincoln slab sides. This is 61 I restored from a rust bucket:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2320389
    It took a couple years to finish. Broke my heart but I had to sell it a couple years ago to buy our house.

Barry Wolk's Mark II convertible is such a beautiful ride I started really digging the Mark II design; obviously the first slab.

So for my birthday, I just bought my car:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars...13|240:1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245#ht_2155wt_0

It is solid and a good driver. Interior is an older restoration but pretty good. I have it in the paint shop right now. I am taking it back to its original dark blueish-green metallic. I found the original paint under a trim panel on the inside door jamb and loved it.

Now, ready for the really weird part? I always wanted a '56 because I was born in '56. But, when I deciphered the data plate I found the car was built on September 22. MY BIRTHDAY! Freaked my shit out.

The paint shop is doing a great job taking it down to bare metal. I plan to take lots of pics of the progress.

14. I was in Oregon visiting our own "Zapato" a few years back when he took me outside to an old metal building...slid the door open to reveal a white 56 mark II.......all there. I was so jealous! I want one. A factory custom for sure....and for all practical purposes, a hand-made car. I'm told ford lost money on every one of 'em.

15. Spooky

Spooky

I agre Ryan-
    lose the decklid bulge(heh, heh, heh, he said BULGE), it needs to be dropped and maybe a slight chop.
    In my mind it needs to have the bottom 3/4 of the front and rear bumpers body colored.

The factorey pieces are nice, but need to be trimmed of the factory "fat".
    Your "quick and rough" posting has it nearly nailed.

Now body color the bottom of the bumpers.

What about '56 Merc spinner caps for it and shot in a bright "Arterial Spray" Red?

16. JEPPA

JEPPA

There is one in town like this. Mint green and looking mint! Sexy little car. I never thought of it as a Kustom candidate but I've now changed my mine. I would also agree on a subtle chop. How about some frenched in headlights?:D

[​IMG]

17. vancec

vancec
    from yucaipa

As a true Lincoholic I have owned two sixties slabside Continental verts, two Zephyr 3 windows and my current love, a 56 Continental Mark II. I was born in 56 and this car was born on my birthday, September 22 so it holds a special place in my heart.

However because of how much my wife and I miss our 61 Connie with the top down and love this 56, we are seriously considering taking the big step of chopping the top off. (like the parade car in the attached photos). I think driving that car around So Cal would be the tits. I have the car in a custom shop and they tell me they could see about making it a removable hardtop. Maybe that way the customization wouldn't necessarily have to be permanent. The purists will shun me. The value as a classic may plummit but I can't get it outta my head.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

18. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

There's a 56 Lincoln Mark in an old hot rod garage (been out of business for years) near my house with a factory supercharged 57 t-bird and a 49 merc and lots of other cool stuff. Some of the cars in there haven't seen the light of day in over 30 years. I was just talking to his son a few days ago to see if he wanted to drag that 56 Lincoln out and get it on the road again. I'm going over there Saturday morning.

biggeorge likes this.
  19. vancec

vancec
    from yucaipa

Just found this custom on the LCOC. Now, for my money, this has got to be the ULTIMATE custom of the Mark II.

This car was built and designed by car customizer, Rick Dore.

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  20. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

Here's one that was at Paso about 10 years ago. If you don't like the tire bulge molded into the deck lid, then dressing it up with daytons probably isn't going to get you to change your mind. I don't like the daytons or the rectangle headlights, but it is a custom mii. if i remember, it had the star emblem frenched into the front of the hood at the peak. I hope this started as a parts car...

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  21. knucklfrank

knucklfrank

I just started the resurection of my 56 MKII, she's a latter 56 with the a/c vents off the lazyback, I have 2 and trying to make one out of the 2 so I will have alot of parts left over, including a complete firewall back body, some of the mods will be changing the fuel system to the the 57 style with the wcfb instead of the haystack, alt, elect wipers, aftermarket elect window tracts
    here is the pic before the tear down.
    [​IMG]
    http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n136/knucklefrank/mkII.jpg

22. vancec

vancec
    from yucaipa

I took the big step and had the top removed but think will b a smart move when its done. They guys at the body shop are doing a great job and the car will look all original except the top. You can see a shot when I bought when it was white. The car right now lools like hell but with the engine coming out the painter can do a first-rate job. The leather upholstery, plating etc. is finished and waiting. Exterior will be the original dark green metallic. Damn this stuff always takes WAY longer that I'd think.

Comments;opinions?

Attached Files:

23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think it should look cool when it's done. Are you doing the removeable hardtop, building a folding top, or just leaving it as a roadster?

I hope you're losing the side trim while it's being re-done.

24. vancec

vancec
    from yucaipa

That ridiculous rubber side trim came off before it was off the trailer.
    As for the top, the body shop wants to try to make a removable hardtop, but I am afraid that will just prolong the endless project, I would like to have a guy they know make a folding ragtop but same fear as above. For now, I think, it will just be a parade car. No reason I can't change it later.

Thanks for the encouragement. I can use it!

25. McFly

McFly

I just found one of these on my hike through the Fullerton loop...it's hiding under a pile of cinder blocks!

I'm gonna go back and get a pic.

26. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

I was coming back from the dump today and noticed the garage door open on a house down the street from me, it was piled full of garbage bags and boxes but I saw the tail light and trunk bludge of one of these sticking out. I turned around and went back and they were cleaning the house out after their grandfather had passed away.

The car was partially disassembled but appeared to be pretty complete. The interior had been redone but never reinstalled and the bumpers had been rechromed and were wrapped in newspaper.

I asked if it was for sale and they said sure it's just in our way and it needs to go, she was going to ask her grandmother what to sell it for but she (the daughter) said she would take about any offer.

Should know something tomorrow.

27. barry2952

barry2952

Can you get a serial number off of it? I can tell you a lot about it by that number.

BTW, there is a new web forum dealing specifically with '56-'57 Continental Mark IIs, stock or customized. If you know of anyone with a Mark II we'd like to get its serial number for our Registry.

http://www.markiiforum.com/index.php

28. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Simply gorgeous, I just love classy cars.

29. James427

James427
    BANNED

I worked at a resto shop where we worked on one that was hand built for Henry Ford's wife. It was black and had all kinds of nice little custom touches on it like full chrome door jamb plates so when you opened the doors all you saw was smooth chrome. There was alo a plaque on the door saying it was built just for her.

30. barry2952

barry2952

They all had chrome door jamb plates and name tags on the transmission tunnel.