Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1956 354 Hemi Pistons Size

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bambamshere, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

Forum 3.jpg

Beanscoot and Hnstray like this.
  2. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

I will get a couple pics of my heads at some point this weekend ornext week. They are definitely truck heads. I bought a original 4 barrel manifold for it before I had the engine but I guess it won't work because the cross overs on the heads are to tall. Unless there is a gasket for that. Forum 4.jpg

RONNY SCHRÖDER likes this.
  3. greybeard360

greybeard360

A 30 second web search turned up....

1957 Fargo truck 354

VT 549 ***** C ...... C denotes Canada

4. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

A faster look would have taken you to about 10 posts up where it say 1956 354. Could have been 1957 lol

5. I am going to try to adapt truck heads to my 331/354 to replace the stock small round exhaust ports, small valve heads.

Braze filler plates in the heat X-overs to make them fit the passenger manifold, new valves and valve guides, grind off the ugliness. Like I said, they otherwise look like hi-po heads.

6. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

I have 2 sets of truck heads. I will take pic of both heads and post. There is a thick layer of white stuff on top of the exhaust valves.

7. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

You have the ultimate “score” engine for a performance build. The truck/ industrial heads have great potential for power, and the block is ( in my opinion) the most desirable of all the early hemis.
    Should you decide to swap heads for passenger car versions, pm me and I’ll scoop em up.

Bambamshere likes this.
  8. George

George

Hot Heads makes in intake that covers the high cross over.

gimpyshotrods and Bambamshere like this.
  9. George

George

Basically truck blocks are the same as the '54 car blocks.

Bambamshere likes this.
  10. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

I think they only make one that is a single 4 barrel. One thing I do like about both truck blocks I got. Is the both came with 4 bolt exhaust manifolds and not the 2.

11. And the 1956 D500 was no slouch either with the records it set.

12. tetraethyl lead.

Bambamshere likes this.
  13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I filled the exhaust cross over on several race heads with aluminum/ Fills in the connection between the two center ports in each head as well. It's easy to do at home. If anyone wants info PM me.

14. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

Just incase some one doesn't know what that is lol

Tetraethyllead, abbreviated TEL, is an organolead compound with the formula (CH₃CH₂)₄Pb. It is a petro-fuel additive, first being mixed with gasoline beginning in the 1920s as a patented octane rating booster that allowed engine compression to be raised substantially.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

dirt t likes this.
  15. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Yes. Truck block is the same. Im referring to the 354 block. Big bore, short deck, small diameter bearings. Rather have a 354 than a 331, or a 392.

stillrunners likes this.
  16. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

That does work nice for heads with a heat cross over. The heads shown don’t have heat cross overs. Those are coolant passages.

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

What do I know? We don't have water passages. They are for sissys. upload_2021-1-22_7-57-18.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  18. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Yep, water probably would give you issues on that monster.

19. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

My lawnmower doesn’t have coolant either. Im a half sissy.
    Didn’t mean to get you sore, just wanted to put out true info on the topic.
    I assume that is alcohol powered? Cant believe you can make all that power for sustained amounts of time.

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

nitro. and alcohol. It's not mine. Many people have put time and money into it. I bought the crankshaft. Several of the faster cars are using dry blocks and heads. Old Top Fuel parts. Flashpoint is no longer competing. Did run 451 exit speed just before this. Owner/driver, Bob Dalton walked away. upload_2021-1-22_9-16-39.jpeg

stillrunners likes this.
  21. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

That would have been a wild ride

22. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

OMG your lawnmower doesn't have coolant. I wouldn't say half sissy. I believe that's at least 2/3rds lol

23. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

I will be a sissy since 6 months out of the year it is below -20*c here lol.

Just joking around

24. 73RR

73RR

It appears that you have.....
    two 354 truck engines. (truck blocks will be drilled at the front for the 51-54 331 front cover)
    truck heads (as mentioned, a good casting and easy enough to fix the tall port and use oem intake)
    After you mic the bore you'll know what you have in terms of pistons, however, truck c/r is usually in the 7:1 range. Custom forgings are readily available for what ever you need and not alot more money than castings which seem to be stuck below 9:1.
    Some truck engines have thicker/taller rear main caps and use the 392 intermediate drive shaft.
    Some truck engines use gear drive for the cam so the cam runs in reverse. Some of the big cam companies ocasionally have new cores. Call them for availability.
    The LA timing chain set interchanges on a new pass car cam.

All of this is buried in in the Hemi Tech pages but you still need to take the time to start reading.

25. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

Ok so what does MIC the bore mean?

26. jaracer

jaracer

Measure the inside diameter of the bore with an inside micrometer. Be sure to measure it just below the upper limit of ring travel since that's where the most wear will be.

Bambamshere likes this.
  27. 73RR

73RR

^^^^^what he says.

Bambamshere likes this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

Easy way to see if they are oversized, is just use the inside “tongs” on a micrometer. This way you’ll be measuring where the top of the bore is at w/o wear. If you don’t want to spend money on a bore mic, use a ring off the piston once you have it apart ( or source a ring if not taking it apart) then put the ring at the very top of the hole, use feeler gauges and check the gap. Then, with the piston at BDC, slide the ring down and measure the gap again, this will give you a good idea of the bore taper.
    Main thing doing it this way, you really want to use a piston to push the ring down in the bore to keep it correct for measurements.
    That’s how we po foke did it ;)

Bambamshere likes this.
  29. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

Well this is one head Forum 7.jpg Forum 6.jpg forum 5.jpg Forum 8.jpg

30. Definitely a truck head.