Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955 seats?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcclellandb, Apr 10, 2020.

1. mcclellandb

mcclellandb

Are GM seats interchangeable for 1955? I have a 55 olds 88 with no seats and am having trouble finding some. Was wondering if Buick, Pontiac, Chevy seats are the same.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    dana barlow likes this.
  2. 55 Chevy benches are pricy...600-800 bucks so I wouldnt look there.Look at GM cars up to about 1975.A tape measure will tell you what you need to know.You may have to modify the mounting tracks,or drill new holes,but I bet you can find something in the 200 buck range.

dana barlow and mcclellandb like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

Is your Olds an 88 or a 98? I know for a fact that the mounting points on a Pontiac are different than the Olds, although a Pontiac seat will physically fit into an Olds 88. It's too narrow for a 98. Chevy seats are too expensive.

The 55/56 Olds 88 and a Buick Special would share a seat, although the shapes and side covers might be slightly different but it would work, if you have a 98 you'll need a seat from a Super or Roadmaster.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Hollanders doesn't list seats. Floors are different between different GM brands back then, so if you want it to bolt in, find something from an Olds off the same size. 54-56 are mostly the same in those years. Pay attention to body style, hardtops and sedans use different rear seats, and 4 door front seats don't fold forward.

It's possible Buick and Cadillac seats might bolt in, but I would not put money on it unless I'd done the swap myself. Maybe Squablow has, and knows for sure.

5. mcclellandb

mcclellandb

Mine is an 88- 2 door sedan. Thanks for the information. From what I gather the front is easy enough to modify a split bench from other models, but the rear has to fit in between the wheel wells.

6. Ive seen guys put 64 Chevy rear seats in 55-57 Chevys.You may have to narrow a bit,but its been done.

mcclellandb likes this.
  7. This is a way old memory, but if you need to get the seats from somewhere afar, at a distance that is agreeable to you, I seem to remember reading guys would ship them by Greyhound in the luggage compartment. Evidently it was cheaper than fedex, UPS, etc. Food for thought...

Gotta56forme/Scott

mcclellandb likes this.