Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Pontiac Star Chief: ChiefResurrection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bishop Schulz, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

2. Sisco Kid

Sisco Kid

It would have been a crime to crush that car as it did not create the hard feelings. I'm sure it would not have been the first old car destroyed for the same reason. You are really lucky they had a change of heart (congrats) and do her justice.

3. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Thanks so much Sisco Kid, yes indeed I am sure many have gone to the crusher due to bitter feelings. Really lucky that at least one of the family members thought to give it to me instead of scrapping it.

4. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

5. belair

belair

6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic, you have proven persistence pays off ,plus help from the HAMB.

7. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Totally agree that the HAMB was instrumental for a health wake-up for the old warrior.

Now to list out the next steps before a good first drive!

8. loudbang

loudbang

Purrs like a Pontiac :)

kidcampbell71 and Bishop Schulz like this.
  9. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Hails and Updates!

Yes @loudbang it purrs, its amazing, only similar sounding quiet was a 52 chevy 210 with a blue flame, purring...never expected that out of a V8.

Next steps, brakes!

Rear passenger drum has a deep score, was fairly easy to pull off...looks like the shoes are ready for a change but not imploded.

Adjuster looks okay but is rusted into one solid piece.

Innards of the cylinder and spring assembly

....well the inside of the cylinder is questionable and will be replaced.

10. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

I bet I could just add the autoadjuster fiddly bits from a newer car to this old setup and it would adjust and work fine...hmm...

...i do not relish the idea of adjusting the brakes every 10k miles or less by hand.

11. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Um the master cylinder is a nightmare to get to? I only see trying to squeeze my big mits in from the engine compartment, no way in heck i can see how to get a wrench on the cap...wth?

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  12. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Get the service manual!

13. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

"I bet I could just add the autoadjuster fiddly bits from a newer car to this old setup and it would adjust and work fine...hmm..."
    63,64 Pontiac & Olds for sure. Likely Chebby & Buick as well. Threads here on da HAMB.

14. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

hey what was the answer to the no start?

Bishop Schulz and loudbang like this.
  15. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Hails @poncho catalina, the no start was a bad ignition wire, the start wire had +, but in the normal run position it was dead.

I believe it may have been my fault, wrecking the ignition switch by hooking up the battery backwards, and jumping the coil from the proper pole but then basically grounding out the system using the ignition switch as an accidental fuse.

I'll run a spare wire and use it to ignite the coil while running, it will give a theft deter ant step to starting right? hehe.

16. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update

All the brake parts in the world are coming, new hoses, cylinders, fiddly bits, and shoes.

Once the brakes are done, and I struggle to fill the master cylinder...ill bleed it and it should be good to stop.

So that covers go and stop.

Oh and by the way, after starting it and letting it come to running heat and good action from the thermostat, no leaks anywhere except some spitting from the water pump...it will need a replace (SpeedWay motors has them for under a hundred bucks).

Once I did let it come to speed, I could NOT resist, placed it in drive and poped into gear nicely and moved forward, ran it through all the gears in my long driveway as well as reverse to put it back to where I started.

Power steering works great and doesn't leak!

So go, stop, move, and steer are all good here in a day or two!!!

17. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update, pre-shake down drive

Things on the agenda next now that we are mostly mobile, the goal is to do this then put in a good solid drive or drives and tick the odometer about 100 miles:
    • Set the timing
    • Bleed the brakes
    • Lube the emergency brake lines
    • Check/repack front bearings
    • Check/repack rear bearings
    • Replace the shocks
    • Replace the tires (including spare)
    • Actually wash the Chief, I have not done this and its got a coat at least 30 years old of moss/dust/dirt
    Needs: Drivers mirror is broken off its pedestal, so ill need another

18. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    kidcampbell71, 48fordnut and loudbang like this.
  19. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

20. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update

Today working on replacing the rear brakes, wheel cylinders, springs, hold downs, all the bits with a new adjuster too.

Overall I was surprised that it went as easy as it did, not one seized bold or bit, notoriously when changing all this gear out, invariably the brake lines are rusted solid and unbolting them results in a twisted and useless brake line.

Not in this case, lucky so for, this went well!

And now for assembly, cleaning, scrubbing, and hope for a low threshold of four letter word work!

First peak from behind, needs a steel brush to clean some things, but not bad.

The cylinder is really rotted in the bores

New cylinder in place after a couple 1/2 inch bolts and a 7/16 brake line nut

ALWAYS check the brake pads before installing, the holes should line up, be the same size and the pads themselves, check the width. Sometimes on older rigs, one shoe had more material or a longer wrap around the shoe, this is the leading shoe and belongs on the front facing side of the install.

New sparkly gear in place, surprised that only two cup spring hold downs are used in the install...ive always seen four used but with the clamping power of the hold down and two purple springs, I don't fear anything going sideways here....if it was good in 55, it should still be okay if used the same way.

And with the refreshed drum in place

Drivers side was equally easy to disassemble. A shame so many spiders and bugs have lost their old home, but it does need to go back together somewhat cleaned.

All bare and ready for new gear. I took the option of not cleaning these 100% and painting, I want the car to be pristine in its coat of age, i'd rather not shine up part of the undercarriage without doing it all.

And with all the sparkles in place

Thanks all for coming along on these rear brakes, next up, the fronts! Next week.

21. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Nice work! I've been following along and appreciate your restraint. Preservation is not a bad thing, sometimes.
    A minor suggestion when you do the front brakes, a plain straw whisk broom does wonders on the inside and outside of those backing plates before you reload them, and doesn't blow asbestos dust all over the room.
    Carry on!

23. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Great idea, i have a nice whisk for this. Since it has only 42k miles, I would suspect that the brakes were changed only once...and probably back in the 60's so theres no telling whats in those shoes.

Today the gear for the fronts should arrive, I hope to get to these soon! Cheers!

24. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update

Friday night Shenanigans! Brakes!

Laying out the surgical table.

Nice hub caps!

Rim is dirty, hasnt been removed since 1975.
    Heres what collects under a wheel after a LOT of years.

Check out that sway bar linkage and its crumbling rubber.

Hose has been scrubbed and sprayed with PB blaster to loosen and persuade the nuts to loosen.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update

A bit more front brake shenanigans!

Cap off and bearings look okay, the old grease is more like thin pudding, not chunky and still decent.

Pulled the drum

Pins will need to be reused after a really thorough cleaning.

Cylinder gets to come out next

Backside of the cylinder is a bit spidery and messy.

Scrubbed and sprayed with PB blaster to loosen and persuade it to be nice to me.

Ooo the insides are awful, glad I have new ones in hand.

Ack that is a mess, they don't move...what a surprise.

Hose is off with a little coaxing.

Rebuildable? naw.

You can hear it here too, ew!

Hose is split and will be replaced with new. Rockauto had new ones for 6 bucks each, made here in the US, nice!

Bare and ready to be scrubbed.

Sway bar will get some love since I am here anyway. A new set of polyurethane bushings will help keep the tires in bumpy harmony.

Good trick, make sure you always grease these things before assembly unless you love the chorus of squeaks to announce your arrival or fly by.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  26. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update

Stuck, dead, beyond me...really frustrating.

Take a look, the yellow arrow points to the rusted solid cap of the brake master cylinder. Its a power brake unit so it sits pretty far forward compared to a normal one...so far forward that there is only 1 inch of clearance above the nue and it is directly under the steering column...so no sockets will get in there.

Underneath i could get a crescent wrench on it, but only two fingers can reach into the narrow space to the amount of effort to turn the rusty bolt would take the magic of Moses to move.

I'm going to have to call in the cavalry for this, my pals at Mad Max Cars who build cars for hollywood and enthusiasts should be able to provide the rescue I need. https://www.facebook.com/MadMaxCars/

27. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

Update

Drivers front side brake shenanigans and they sadly, the STOP, the master cylinder filler cap that is not turnable and barely reachable.

First time in about 50 years that this tire has been off let alone the brake drum!

Sway bar link is a little crusty

Cleaning up the old plate

The old wheel cylinder was a mess, just as the others were...pebbly dirt, rust and some oozing fluid.

Well the brake line was weak, it twisted off inside the boxed frame. Lucky this was the shortest and easiest to replace of all of the lines.

Bought a 20 inch, cut it to 16, gave it two bends and matched it up as best as i could to the original.

The new line had to be thread through the boxed car frame and then flipped around so the end could come out the tiny hole to attach to the rubber hose that goes to the wheel cylinder.

Splitter for the fluid (manifold), you can see the new hose up on top there.

New hose at the plate.

28. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Don't you intend to replace the master cylinder also? Now is the time to do that and the rest of the brake lines, so you know it will stop when you need it to! You're doing a good job of taking care of the important stuff, no time to short cut the build.

30. emfh

emfh

Great job so far! Thank you for documenting all of this, I will be doing the same to my 56 olds super 88. Did that come with factory power brakes? I wonder if that master and booster will work on my olds?

Bishop Schulz and loudbang like this.