Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955 Pontiac Radiator help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KLGreen, Mar 17, 2017.

1. KLGreen

KLGreen
    from Kansas

I'm trying to replace the radiator in my 55 Pontiac. Its sprung a pretty bad leak and requires a re-core. There is a place Walker Radiator I believe, that will make a new one but its going to cost around $900. I can get mine recored for around $600. My question is; will radiators from other GM cars of that era fit? I can find chevy radiators all day long for a few hundred bucks. As a broke student I'm trying to keep the price down. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kelsey

2. BJR

BJR

Measure the chevy ones and see if it fits, pay attention to where the hose connections are and if they will work.

3. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Walker is good but costly for sure

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Also just look around on various auction sites etc. because there may be a much more common one that can be adapted to fit. Early Mustang perhaps, tri-5, etc.

BFC

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I had the radiator in my '57 Pontiac recored because the Chevy ones didn't look right and the hose outlets would have require some creative hose arrangements.
    There is also an outlet on the lower tank for the heater core hookup on the Pontiac.
    KK

6. Pontiac has a heater hose coming out of the radiator and the surround to attach to the core support is different than a chevy. No one makes one new. We had no luck finding one used that was not as bad as the one we had. We thus had our 56 recorred. Done by a local shop since closed, IIRC about $450. Check Brassworks, they do period looking recored as well. Also has a the two heater cores redone as well at same shop they were $350 for both.

7. 55chieftain

55chieftain

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508897

Here is one way to do it with a Chevy radiator in my link. I did mine a little differant and used the radiator frame and bolted to car and got a universal 2 row from speedway motors 19 x 24 and filled in the open lower area with sheet metal. there are a few pics in my gasser build thread

lothiandon1940 likes this.