Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Pontiac gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55chieftain, Aug 10, 2010.

1. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

55Chieftain,
    I love your car. I grew up in 55s, sort of. Dad had two 55s, a new one and one he built in the mid to late 1960s. Here is me with his new one in 1959 or so I think.
    If you ever need any "Old School" Pontiac data or parts, please feel free to email me. thand at kc.rr.com. I'll see what we might have to help.
    Tom Hand

Attached Files:

twoponchos likes this.
  2. booker512

booker512

Love the build man. Subscribed!

Glad you decided to build something a little different instead of the normal falcon or 55 gasser. --not that those are bad, but variety is always nice.

Keep up the good work.

3. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks for the comments. I ended up backup my time today, made some 11.70 passes. Has some decent 60fts 1.55, 1.56. Still have plenty of work I think there is still more in it. Nice thing the track had a scale, car weighed in just below 3300 plus driver.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Pretty good times for hauling all that weight around. :)

5. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I've been making some progress on installing my rollbar. Just mocked up for now and should get some more welding done over the weekend. I've joined a local nostalgic group to race with this year, so should make quite a few more races and will be with them at the Meltdown Drags. I'm pretty excited to be joining the group, i raced with them a few times last year and a great bunch of guys to be around. Bill

http://www.nostalgiagassers.com/

[​IMG]

benchseat4speed likes this.
  6. wvenfield

wvenfield

10 pages for a Pontiac must be a record.

7. brut4s likes this.
  8. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Wow small world, I know the guy who bought it and also the newest owner of Old Injun.. I got to drive it once also. Did you have the blue 56 with the radiused 1/4's also? I posted a pic of it here on my thread awhile back. Bill

loudbang likes this.
  9. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I don't think it will ever be done LOL so who knows how long i'll drag this out.
    Forgot to add my front wheels are going to have some surgery to remove about an inch to make them narrower also won't have to worry about the disc brakes in the way either.

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

Gasser club requirements? Either way, post the work.

11. Funny, I was just going back through more of your thread and noticed Old Injun on the poster...

And, no, I just had the one and didn't do anything with it but store it for a while...After, I heard it was up and running again, I kind of wished I would have kept it.

12. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I've got quite a few of us running together at the Meltdown Drags, here's an early one right when I got mine first together. He had it on ebay a few times, I don't know if he would try to sell it again or not?

[​IMG]

13. 55chieftain

55chieftain

A 6 pt is required for faster than 11.49 and good till 10.0 in the 1/4 mile. I should be low 11's or possibly in the 10's?
    The only requirement I really have is to run an engine diaper in case of an engine failure on the track it would keep it in the diaper instead of under my back tires.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  14. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I got the rest of the back of the cage in and welded, i'm going to hold off on the front bars until I get some more work I want to do inside of the car. While I can still get in and out easier. I see why these guys get the big bucks to put these in, it's alot of work especially if it was chrome moly and tig welded in. It's almost 50 degrees here and was nice to get some more work done. Thanks for lookin...

[​IMG]

15. bigslim55

bigslim55

55Chieftain,
    How's things coming along with Gasser? Did you weld cage to just floor or do you have a bar going to frame too???
    Sure am ready for a spell of warmer weather to some work to car! I try to do as much as I can but my dang fingers get cold...!
    I just wanted to check, didn't see anything posted in while... Should be an eye catcher of a car when done!
    Jim...

16. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks, the fronts bars still need something welded to without putting another bend in the front. Otherwise it would narrow up the seat area. I have a body mount right at the front edge of the toe kick so I'm planning to build some outriggers of the frame to widen up where I can put the bars. By the rulebook, if it has a frame the cage must be welded to it. Sorry no new pics to share right now.

I have some extra straight side pieces of my old frame I saved also to go in between the frame to mount the 5 pt seat harness at the front of the seat. May build the outriggers out of this too.

Crazy weather, had my daughters birthday party today and had to clear about 4" of snow we got this morning.
    I put an engine in for a guy a few weeks ago in my garage. I borrowed one of those torpedo heaters with a grill tank and made it decent enough to work .

I've got a set of fiberglass doors i'm getting to install and picked up a mini starter. I also bought another set of piston rings to install if I have time.

17. bigslim55

bigslim55

Them glass doors should take out some weight! Also did you settle on a paint scheme for it yet??? I couldn't pick which I liked more, actually liked them both or both renderings looked good!
    Jim...

18. 55chieftain

55chieftain

The paint is undecided, maybe just do the candy apple red with off white roof. The glass doors will just about equal what i'm adding. Maybe lose some weight, still need to get a trunk lid also. I believe i'll lose 60 lbs a door. Maybe over next winter the bodywork and paintjob will be done. I'm just looking forward to running faster this year and enjoying a safe year of racing.

19. Wow.....I always enjoy checking in on your progress with the 55. Looks like a lotta fun to me. In the 70s I drove a 57 tudor with a '59, 389/4 speed. Just a street car but I street raced it a little...did very well for a street car. 57Ponchoonstreet.jpg Later found another 57 tudor with a 67, 400/4 speed.
    Rockys57pontiacsedan.jpg

20. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I ended up using a section of my old frame that was a c channel and cut to fit between the frame and inner rocker panel. Than welded it in and a plate on top to weld the roll bar end on. I piecut about 1/2" off the rocker end so it didn't hang down. I had to move it back a little to clear the factory mount on the floor but mounted the bar a little higher on the main hoop end to still get some height out of it.

So at least I have 1 side done and other to go . It's finally starting to warm up some here, I still have alot of work to do. This tar and insulation on the bottom of the roof is a real pita to get off. I want to paint the whole interior of the car once the cage is done.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  21. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I'm just about done getting the roll bar stuff done. Here's a little better pic of the piece of frame I pie cut out an inch for the frame outriggers for front bars. Also got the seat back supports done on one side and will finish up the other side and add a few more gussets than paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. loudbang

loudbang

You are moving right along now.

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm late to the party but its looking good.

24. Jersey Larry

Jersey Larry

25. Looking very nice. The bars look good!

26. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I got some paint on the bars today , it finally decided to warm up some around here. I have some paint for the rest the interior next after I get another coat on the bars. I stripped off the insulation of the roof with a knotty wire wheel on my grinder, boy was that a mess I was covered head to toe. I still have the tar to remove than I want to paint that also. I brushed on some rustoleum black hammered paint and pretty happy with how it turned out so far.

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

looks good Bill!

28. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I got the inside of the car painted so now time to put it all back together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Looks great. Are you going to do anything with the dash?

30. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks, i'm holding off on painting the dash till I get the rest of the car painted to decide what color.