Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1955 plymouth grill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bottledViolence, Jun 14, 2013.

1. bottledViolence

bottledViolence

anyone have any pictures of 55 plymouths with custom grills,i have a plymouth with no grill and am thinking about doing something custom but not a tube grill

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

In Home Depot the other day I noticed some neat little polished stainless or chrome, oblong drawer handles about 1" by 2". Thought what a neat grille they would make. They were shaped sort of like an old fifties TV screen.

This was a simple custom trick from the fifties. Make a grille for your car out of expanded metal mesh painted flat black and decorate with chrome drawer handles. Similar effect to the 58 Buick grille with its repeated pattern of chrome squares.

3. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Try a 55 Desoito grill like the export 55 Desotos had. They were basically 55 Plymouths badged as Desoto with the US Desoto grill
    [​IMG]

4. bottledViolence

bottledViolence

id love to come across a desoto grill...i might look into the drawer pull idea

5. Id love to see a picture of that!!!!!!!

6. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

could do the VW bumper guard trick?
    It uses a stock pre74 VW bug bumper & how ever many 'Teeth' bumper guard you want.:eek:

Attached Files:

SintownKing likes this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

8. 29tudor

29tudor

That looks GREAT!

9. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

or some thing along these lines? The first one you could just use stainless tubes & the last one just a few that homedepot sells (yes I know the car is way off topic!);)
    but it's just for references

Attached Files:

10. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Don't know how the measurements line up but I always wondered if a 53 Dodge grill would fit. Here is a pic of a 53 Dodge and below it is a stock 55 Plymouth for any photoshop guys. I myself really like the stock 55 Plymouth grill if you can find one.
    Guess folks can use the 55 pic to modify for you with other ideas too.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. metalman

metalman

I have both a nice 55 Plymouth grill and a 52 Dodge, both for sale, pm me if interested.
    FWIW I always found putting an earlier grill in any car wrong, back when they were "late models" the idea was to use newer stuff, make your car more "modern". Same reason I hate to see 39 teardrop tail lights in anything newer then 39.

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

A '55 Plymouth grille is just about a bolt-in in a 53-54 Ford like in your avatar just for fun put the Ford grille in the Plymouth ;) maybe even a 55-56 Ford,Photoshop anyone?

13. bottledViolence

bottledViolence

I took the grill out of the Plymouth and put it in my ford (the avatar picture) then sold the Plymouth and now im buying it back and theres still no grill in it.i know where theres a 54 chevy grill and a 56 ford grill I might be able to get

14. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

SintownKing likes this.
  15. r5mopar

r5mopar
    from virginia

do you still have the 55 Plymouth grille? price?

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not " pre '74"............those pre '68 VW bumper guards....well, I guess that too is 'pre '74:D