Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Oldsmobile Super 88 holiday build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRH, Apr 7, 2012.

1. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I will take Flat over Fake any day...

2. hallrods

hallrods

I vote gloss black.

3. DRH

DRH

What do you guys run for springs? My rears have a couple of broken leaves so they need replaced. I would like to stiffen the front up without changing the ride height. I wanna jack the backend up a few inches so it has that stance. I can't stand a car sitting frontend high. I've also decided to keep the original driveline as a 350/350 combo is tragicly common and the original driveline is cool and works great so far.

4. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Did Oldsmobile make a station wagon in 1956? My experience has mainly been with 55 - 64 Chevys, so the following is based on that... A common trick to raise the rear end of a non-wagon 55 - 57 Chevy, (without using long shackles), is to install station wagon springs. A 6 passenger 55 - 57 Chevy wagon used 5 leaf rear springs, a 9 passenger wagon used 6 leaf springs while all non wagons used 4 leafs.

I just got a pair of 5 leaf springs for my 56 Chevy from St. Louis Spring. http://www.saintlouisspring.com/ The quality is very good, and the shipping was quick and fairly priced. Also, they make their own springs, right in St. Louis Mo. so they nare "US Made". They can make springs for just about anything. If Olds didn't sell a wagon in 1956, perhaps they can make a set of 56 Olds springs with an extra leaf or two.

5. hispanicviking

hispanicviking

Definitely needs to be two tone dude ! You picked a bad-ass ride to build ! Good luck !!!

6. DRH

DRH

Got the carb rebuilt and on the car. This was my first time rebuilding a carb from a car/truck, but have done plenty from motorcycles so it was really no problem. The car starts and runs, however not the way it should and its pissing me off.

I ordered the kit from fusick (very good quality!) and made sure to follow the instructions supplied. The float level, idle screws, choke settings are all correct. The car will not start unless I hold the gas pedal to the floor. Once it starts, it will run good (its on the choke at this point) and I can rev it up fine. Sometimes if i rev it up then chop the throttle, it will start sputtering and die. I then hold the throttle to the floor, crank it for a while and it will start.

I know this isn't the way it supposed to be, and what is making me crazy is the fact it behaved this way even before I rebuilt it. I am at a loss at this point. Anyone have problems like this before?

7. DRH

DRH

Got the nice professionally sealed and coated gas tank in tonight, put in the two freeze plugs that were missing, and drove her up to the gas station! The reactions were mixed, it's an old ugly car that's been off the road since the 60s, but some people were ooooing and ahhhing at it from behind the glass of their new SUVS.

I still have carbueration problems, as it seems unstable and may have a vacuum leak somewhere. I also may have the jets between the primaries and secondaries reversed. However when it's being driven, it runs great, I can't believe the power. The trans shifts great any everything seems quiet. All gauges came to life and speedo works great. Brakes took some "getting used to". The stopping power is all in the amount your willing to stand on the brake pedal :)

Attached Files:

8. Cratethis

Cratethis
    from N. Ky.

Even when they look ruff and still run ruff, there is nothing like starting it for the first time and driving it for the first time! Just keep chipping away at everything.

9. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

DRH was over at my house working on the Ohsmobile the other day and my wife, his step mother, said to me as we were pulling in the driveway "you're going to make sure he doesn't spend a lot of money on that ugly pile of shit, aren't you?" Well, we were in her new Nissan Juke and all I could do was bust out laughing and point out that she was the only person in the family that owns an ugly pile of shit. She became a little put out over the whole conversation but I had a damn good laugh.

She doesn't get it, but is actually pretty good about it and says funny, oxymoronic stuff like this all the time.

BTW, Happy Birthday, son.

KRH

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  10. DRH

DRH

Well, after tweaking, tuning and more fiddling, I finally got the olds to run great. It turns out I had the timing a little to far retarded and I was trying to tune the carb to the problem rather than fix the problem first (Its not the first time I caught myself working out of order).

The car is going to need rings, valve seals, a rear main seal, a motor mount and a simple tuneup and the mechanicals are tip top. Not bad for a car pushing 60 and carrying 95 percent of its original components. I love the car. Its very satisfying to roll the windows down and squeal it around on its 40 year old bias plys :) ill be getting tires for it soon. This is a picture taken up the street at a friends house. The look with the windows down is one of my favorite features.

Now i've heard the phrase over and over, "red rims are for clown cars" But I actually kind of dig the red steels a bit. I'm sure i'll get flamed, but what do you think of flat or satin with flat red steels? I am gonna start working on the body and cosmetics soon so ill have updates a little more interesting. I found a bumper, front vent window surrounds and a hood and passenger fender for it. Still need a rear bumper, grill center bar and the chrome pieces that go around the grill bar. Other than that, its coming together!

Attached Files:

11. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

good job bro. I am proud of you. This is the car I hope to find in the barn some day.

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Now i've heard the phrase over and over, "red rims are for clown cars" But I actually kind of dig the red steels a bit. I'm sure i'll get flamed, but what do you think of flat or satin with flat red steels? I am gonna start working on the body and cosmetics soon so ill have updates a little more interesting. I found a bumper, front vent window surrounds and a hood and passenger fender for it. Still need a rear bumper, grill center bar and the chrome pieces that go around the grill bar. Other than that, its coming together![/QUOTE]

Yes, you will get flamed here for that. BUT, it was definately the thing to do back in the day.
    The only reason it is looked down upon today, is that it seems everyone is doing the flat black paint, red rims, wide whites thing, on everything they are building, even cars that shouldn't have them! Something gets too popular, you're labeled a poser if you have it.
    At least go with shiny paint with your red rims! Your Olds deserves it!

13. DRH

DRH

thanks chopolds, exactly the imput im looking for. We'll see how it goes. I try to avoid following trends, however if it like it enough i'll go with it. If i can get the body straight enough I will go with gloss black.

14. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

[​IMG]
    I know I enjoy my Holiday 88. Maybe this will lend something to your thoughts?

15. DRH

DRH

Got myself a nice grill center bar, nice bumper from out west, good chrome for around the vent windows, and going next weekend to grab a nice solid hood for it. Were progressing in the right direction. I have decided that the car is just too cool and deserves to be gloss black. Interior will be the original red and while, or maybe just all red with a nice tuck and roll job.

On a side note, My dad, "Ray C's Son", Is home today after a month long stay in the hospital while away on business in China. A collapsed lung, which he was warned would happen if he kept smoking, very nearly killed him while he was thousands of miles from his family. My dad has always pushed the boundaries of his mortality in his 53 years, So I knew more or less this day was coming, just not while he was away, and I wasn't sure WHEN it happened, he would make it through. There were alot of guys on here that lost their dads while this was going on here, most notably, Jive bomber, which was very difficult.

I'll never forget what he said when he called me 2 days after the doctors removed 1/3 of his right lung (a procedure that left him breathing better than he has in years, do the math) "I almost died!" in an astounded voice filled with disbelief. He has returned home healthier, breathing alot better and best of all, does not and will not smoke again. While the experience was horrific for everyone in the family, The good that came from it makes me glad that it happened. My dad is a brilliant machinist, a great engine builder but most of all, my best friend.

Welcome home Dad, I love you man.

16. U-235

U-235

The good news is you got your father back....the bad news is your color and wheel choice. If you'll notice, being a black car it most likely came from the factory with red wheels (case in point the wheels already on it). Flat black paint is a dis-service to this once great car. It needs to be gloss. Also it needs full wheel hubcaaps...not dog dish unless you want it to look like a police car. I sounds as if you have scored some very nice parts, try finding some "Fiestas" for it. Good luck with it. I also have a super 88 sitting in my back yard, rust free. Unfortunately I will never get to it.

17. DRH

DRH

Thanks man. I've already decided on gloss black on the body. You'd be right on the red wheels coming from factory. Other than it being a super 88 holiday, it is a relatively optionless car, so it came factory with dog dishes. I've always liked that look. I would love to run fiestas if some could be had at a reasonable price

18. sololobo

sololobo

Loved those 55's, looks like a super start. Best of luck getting it down the road! Congrats man. sololobo~

19. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Thanks, son. I love you, too. I still think I'm indestructible and that's a problem. I'm getting a little too old to die and keep coming back. Not everyone gets this opportunity, so I'm going to back off a bit and see if I can't stay around a while longer. I'm still having too much fun.

DRH knows exactly what this car needs to look like (gloss black paint, red and black tuck and roll, reversed rims in chrome or red, etc.) he just has to go through the design process, ask opinions and get it all straight in his head. It's going to be a really cool car. It's pretty cool riding in it now even though it's stinky and smokey and looks like shit to most people.

Kevin

20. flatoz

flatoz

Firstly glad your health has picked up and your on the road to recovery and hopefully no more nasty events.

I love what you wrote as I can imagine two guys going down the road with grins from ear to ear and a family pulling up in a people mover and can't understand what your grinning about...:D

21. cisco88

cisco88

Man great thread and great car man great story, can't wait to see her all done up. Happy to hear your pop is good and healthier than ever.

I am getting the body and paint on my 55 Olds done up right now, got a guy out in west coast Florida that does exceptional work. Its been almost 2 months and I can't wait to get her back. She is gonna look awesome. I will make sure to post pics once its back.

Keep us updated.

22. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Thanks, I appreciate it.

That's exactly what we did today, went for a stinky, smokey ride with big grins on our faces and jabbering about what we're going to do next on it. Fun stuff.

KRH

23. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

That is one fine looking car, you've got a lot of work ahead of you but it'll be worth it.

24. sureshotCustoms

sureshotCustoms

IF you do matte black your going to want to use a great paint booth, matte finishes dont allow color sanding, polishing, cutting runs, sags, and dust nibs, i recomend gloss black powdercoating the chrome if you matte it, But a Acrilic Urethane Paint Job(single stage) is much more forgiving of surface scratches and imperfections,

25. sureshotCustoms

sureshotCustoms

26. U-235

U-235

Ahh... Ray C's son...your the good Dad. Take care of yourself so you'll be around to enjoy your sons' love alot longer.

27. DRH

DRH

Well, I've heard before i'm easily amused. Shiny stuff, things with tits, things with engines, etc. This time its a whole bunch of shiny items shipped in from out west. I wasted no time installing the bumper on the car, but it's dark now and can't get a good picture, so I will do so tomorrow. I can't believe how much it did for the appearance of the car. They sure didn't skimp on mounts for the front bumper like they did on mounts for the engine and etc.

More to come tomorrow.

Attached Files:

28. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

He's 28 now. 10-12 years ago I was just an asshole that didn't know shit. :)

Kevin

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  29. DRH

DRH

You still dont know anything. You do know how to offer easily discardable opinions while harassing me about how im doing things cause you think its funny.

30. DRH

DRH

pictures of the bumper on the car

Attached Files: