Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955 Olds Control arm question.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by turbogmc, Mar 13, 2018.

1. turbogmc

turbogmc

After reading the thread on '37-'57 BOP front suspension upgrades (link below) I've been digging a bit deeper to see if anyone is making a bolt in upgrade that might be easier than finding a set of 1958 Pontiac lower control arms. This eBay ad for tri-five control arms says they also fit ’55-'56 Oldsmobile. Does anyone have experience with this and know why it would or wouldn't work. If it was that easy, seems like someone would have said so already. Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-...h=item1c943fc7d1:g:YFUAAOSwYwJaAd2n#vi-ilComp

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1940-buick-37-57-bop-front-suspension-conversion.960634/

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I looked through the ad you linked and could not find where it says these parts fit ‘55/‘56 Oldsmobile. And, even if it did say that, I would not believe it. There are substantial differences in dimensions and geometry of the BOP parts and the Chevy. I am familiar with the BOP suspension from the subject years, having owned a few Buicks from that era, and still have two of them, a ‘38 and ‘41.

The vendor here, Steveshouseofspeed, is unknown to me and certainly makes some wild claims about the millions of parts in his warehouse etc. Those claims alone would scare me off but I noted another listing within the ad for “Helix” brand parts. Not sure if the two are connected, but the Helix is a brand name for the notorious Hoffman Group that has been thoroughly discredited by many H.A.M.B. members. A search of threads about Hoffman is worth doing.

Ray

3. turbogmc

turbogmc

Thanks Ray,
    It seemed too good to be true. It also seems that '37-'57 BOP is a big enough market for someone to make suspension upgrades. Anyone have other ideas?