Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Olds 324 rear main seal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldguard, Jul 15, 2013.

1. A friend has rebuilt his 1955 Olds 324 and has a rear main leak, he said the rear main seal kit came with 2 small flat gaskets. Anyone know of this leaking mess?? Thanks for the help.

2. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Goatroper02 is the man on this subject

3. F&J

F&J

Sounds like he did not install the rectangular cork blocks? That's my first thought.

There is a thread on that and Goatroper put up good clear pics of them during install.

4. Thanks for the tip, I will use the search engine again. :D

5. I have searched but have not found a pic of where the little blocks go, I have a Ford 390 so I am aware of there main cap side seals but I am not with him to see it this Olds. I will pm Goatroper.....

6. When you look at the rear main bearing cap, there will be a cutout on each side.
    So when you install the cap, there would be a void where the oil pan is supposed to seal.

7. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373984030.237777.jpg

cork squares are used in these corners........the flat shims are used under the 324 seal....as well as YOU MUST use rtv under the seal to fill the spot face holes that the factory puts to keep stock rope still....If not the leak is from behind the seal.

we have gotten to the point that on our builds,Im remachining the block and crank seal surface....And using our own developed rear main.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  8. Thanks Goatroper! You are the man! I will send a pic to T Van right now.

9. pete324rocket

pete324rocket

get the updated rear seal from best gasket company-rubber seal and no rope and won't leak. Will pay for itself after a few quarts of oil.