Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Olds 324, Oil Priming Tool??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldguard, Apr 26, 2013.

1. A friend has a 1955 Olds 324 and it is a fresh rebuild and he is waiting on the dist to get rebuilt, anyone know what tool could be used for priming ? I have old dizzys cut doen for Chevies but I did not know on this one??

2. Oil pump shaft has a "D" shape on the end. If you have a junk dist., grind the teeth off the gear or just make one out of tubing.

3. No extra dizzy is the problem...

4. 5/8" od tubing

Attached Files:

5. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Like 550 coupe said, get a piece of tubing larger than the shaft OD and if possible heat one end then shove a smaller piece of rod in the end and hit it with a hammer to flatten one side, so it sides over the "D" shaft on the pump. Might have to weld a piece of rod in the other end also depending on drill chuck size. Doesn't have to be perfect to just turn the pump shaft.

6. Thanks, that should be an easy tool to fabricate. The Power of the HAMB!!

7. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

On most all the Olds engines in the 60's and 70's the pump turned CCW, not sure about your '55, maybe someone knows for sure.

8. Thanks again guys, I emailed the pics to T Van and he was most grateful for the tips and pics, he should have it primed this weekend and ready to install in his 1955 Olds he is restoring.

9. N43

N43

If you and your friend haven't done a break-in before, I recommend consulting with some people who have recent experieince and running a search on this board for how to do break-in's. Olds rockets are high performance and lube oils "ain't what they used to be".

10. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Counterclockwise it is.

11. I made up this for my '55 not too long ago.
    Finally used it yesterday. Seemed to fork fine.
    [​IMG]
    It's just a little set screw that makes the pump rod spin.

12. Cool tool, I think you could sell a few here on the HAMB as a niche market.

13. Razcars

Razcars
    from PA.

I used a piece of steel rod soft stuff, and ground the end to fit in the pump drive . Use electric drill on other end and lubricate your motor.

14. He is trying to prime the engine and now the drivers side rockers are not oiling? Could it be a head gasket or?? Thanks.

15. CGkidd

CGkidd

Rotate the crank 90deg. lube again repeat. until proper oil is seen.

16. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Timed Oiling through the camshaft. ..must rotate 1/4 turn at a time until it oils both sides....and they wont oil at the same time...

17. I think Oldguard has broken in a "few" engines in his time.

18. Yep! The power of the HAMB again, T Van reported back that with an assistant slowly spinning the engine he ran the priming drill and sure enough, oil! Very good as he closes in on getting it on the test stand ready to start. I think this remote help of the HAMB may convince our friend to get on board! :D Thanks guys!