Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Mercury Montclair trim removel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1fastbyrd, Dec 22, 2013.

1. 1fastbyrd

1fastbyrd

I need information on how to remove the stainless steel trim form the roof of my 55 Mercury Montclair. I want to prep the roof for paint and not destroy the moldings as I remove them. I tried to remove them already however it seemed like there might be some nuts that need to be removed but could not see any under the headliner. I have included a picture show the piece or pieces. The picture is not my car just one I copied.

Attached Files:

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think you will have to loosen the headliner to get to the nuts but be very carefull as the thread is brittle and the sections might come apart.

3. big M

big M

If I recall correctly, the roof rail moldings use mainly the type of clips that mount on the car first, and the trim snaps over them. At the very front and rear, there is generally a small metal screw that is hidden by the overlap of the neighboring trim pieces, that will need to be removed first, before popping the trim from the center clips.

---John

4. 1fastbyrd

1fastbyrd

Thanks for the info. Yes the roof trim is mostly snap on, the front trim over the windshield bolts down. I got all of the roof trim off with damage, however the rear window was something else the rubber seal was hard like a rock and the stainless trim would not pull out.

Jeff