Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1955 Mercury Montclair mild custom build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hans mercman, Oct 14, 2014.

1. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

New to HAMB, just got me a 55 Mecury Montclair and couldnt be more excited! My first classic so im going to be full of questions, but this board looks great so im sure ill find what i need here. Thanks in advance for putting up with all my newbie questions!

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  2. Welcome to the Hamb. Search the social forums for a Merc club to get answers to your questions. tim

hans mercman likes this.
  3. any pictures?

hans mercman likes this.
  4. welcome ....

hans mercman likes this.

5. ssrs71

ssrs71

Welcome to the club.

hans mercman likes this.
  6. Welcome aboard.

7. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

Still working on this project, It stalled for a while due to a surprise baby and a move. I have been asking random questions here and there forgetting i started a 'build thread'. so ill try to keep it here! Thanks for looking, ill give some progess updates shortly.

8. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

I'm doing a mild custom build. this is how i got it. Pretty good start

mercimg.JPG

slim38 likes this.
  9. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

I wasnt sure where i was going with paint, got alot of photoshop help from hambers, ended up deciding im going pretty near the current color. Not quite ready for paint but getting there. red roof, bades stripped.jpg

Im really digging this Merc and will probably go a similar route, not the color for me though!
    mild custom merc.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

sand blasted the rims, fresh coat of spray paint, and picked up some coker white walls

Tires_Rims.JPG

11. OK, now put 'em on and lets see a pic of them installed! :)

hans mercman likes this.
  12. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

found the thread for using 90s Aerostar springs to drop the front. done did it, so far seems to have worked out great!

My buddy and i removing the old springs
    IMG_1771.JPG

finished
    IMG_1776.JPG

Gotta get the back sorted out soon.

13. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

I was getting there! ;)

Best shots i could pull off in the garage, will get some more soon.
    Whitewalls_on.JPG
    Capped.JPG

14. Yea man! That looks sweet. :)

hans mercman likes this.
  15. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

So i'm working on the rear suspension now. Over the course of a couple years it developed a lean to the passenger side. Figured out that the leaf shackles were off. One flipped up, one flipped down. I replaced the shackles assuming one was siezed. set it back down, they are still flipped. So my first question, and im pretty sure i know the answer, is which one is correct? i assume its the passenger side, since the shackle fits nicely into a 'pocket'

Passenger side;
    IMG_2436.JPG

Drivers side
    IMG_2437.JPG

16. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

Second question, best way to fix? Is it just popped the wrong way, and i can flip it back in somehow?

The drivers leaf spring is straight as an arrow with that shackle in the downward position.

My feeling is springs need to be replaced/rearched. anyone?

17. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Just needs to be flipped back.

hans mercman likes this.
  18. I'm thinking the drivers side is wrong. Think how much higher the car would set with the spring under the mount.

hans mercman likes this.
  19. Passenger side is correct. Pop the other one back with a nice long bar and some muscle. Be careful you don't hit yourself with the bar when the shackle goes over center.

nochop and hans mercman like this.
  20. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

Makes Sense. Not sure how long of a bar I could get under there, it's closer to the floor that it looks like. I'm thinking it would be wise to jack it up at the frame to take the tension off the spring as well. Going to give it a shot

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Slopok

Slopok

Absolutely! But be careful or you won't be havin anymore surprise babies!:eek:

hans mercman likes this.
  22. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

If that's the case I'll throw caution to the wind! line those puppies up hahah.

Well you guys were right, and it was much easier than anticipated. Jacked it up and put a tire iron in the space between the shackles and it easily moved forward, but didnt want to go up. No problem as it appeared lined up so that when i lowered it the weight would push it in the correct direction. slowly dropped the jack and watched it flip into the correct upward position. That was satisfying to watch! 20 minute fix!

Measured from the ground to the bottom the bumper on both sides, they are the same height now!

23. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

next to the belly of the beast. After getting excited about driving straight i drove over to the gas station for a top off. Came home, parked it. Back to the garage a couple hours later, wreaked of gas. Found i had a steady drip at the gas tank. When the tank was half full, there was no leak issue so must be at top of the tank. time to drop it and see whats going on.

24. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

The guy i purchased it from said the tank had been replaced, and looking at it id say within the last 5-10 years, so was pretty sure it wasnt a rust issue. Its the shiniest metal down there. Drained the tank and dropped it. What i found,

goose neck looks good.
    IMG_2848.jpg

I think this looks ok, top of the tank and where i'm guessing the float comes in. I waited some days after dropping it to take a look unfortunately missed the chance to see if gas was pooled there, which would point to a leaky gasket.
    IMG_2847.jpg

looking around i did see what i believe to be the issue, it appears the breather tube (i think thats what it is) was disconnected from the collar on the tank, that would leave an opening. but im not sure on that, its possible the tube became disconnected when i lowered the tank.

Anything else i should check? I'm planning to fill the tank while its on the ground to see if i can recreate the leak while the top is visible.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  25. a air gun pointed into the filler tube, sealed with a rag and some duct tape will help you find the leak. use short "bursts" of air and a spray bottle of soapy water to find the leak.

hans mercman likes this.
  26. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

Very simple, but i didnt think of it! ill try to give it a go tonight.
    Next question, on the opposite end of the breather hose, looks like the clamp came free.
    IMG_2844.jpg
    The question is, do i need to slide the hose all the way over that cuff, then clamp it? I'm not sure i'd be able to its further than it looks! and would it reach the tank on the other side...Im wondering if when the tank was replaced they never clamped it because the hose was too short. If so ill just have to find a longer hose.

27. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Those look like Buick wheels.

28. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

Those two are, they are the same depth, size and bolt pattern as the originals. Originals were damaged

29. that "cuff" i s weird. shouldn't it be bottomed out in the hole. is that pipe loose?

30. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

I don't recall it feeling loose. I get under there tonight and see if maybe that's it.