Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Lincoln Capri convert side rail material??? Question before top chop!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Ive got a buddy (what a bad way to start a thread!!!) who is considering chopping a 55 lincoln capri convertible. He has asked if I had ever welded potmetal as he thinks some of the top mechanisms are. The items in question are the rails going from the rear hinge mech up to the A-piller. Does anyone know what the makeup content of these rails are?? Some have said aluminum or anouther high zinc content material. They are about 1 inch by 2.5 inch and follows over the top of the side windows. Ive got a Synchrowave 250 and a good bit of hands on, but need a little help on this one before we jump in. Or how to tell potmetal from aluminum ETHER

2. Squablow

Squablow

I worked at a T-bird restoration shop for years, we did mostly 55-57 'Birds. I can tell you for sure that the top castings for those cars were aluminum.

I don't have any specific knowledge of the Lincolns but I would guess they're aluminum as well. I don't think die-cast ('pot metal') would be strong enough.

If I was going to do it, I'd cut each piece, glue them back together with epoxy or whatever you have availible, then take them in and use them as molds to have the pieces recast. Welding those old aluminum castings is really tricky and then you'd be starting with fresh castings.