Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 International Harvester R100 Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tablebeast, Jul 25, 2013.

1. tablebeast

tablebeast

OK, new idea for a frame swap. There is a guy that has the entire rolling chassis with drivetrain from a 76 Scout II lwb. It is 4x4 obviously with Dana axles and the AMC 258 with a 3 speed manual. An international on an international would be cool and I love the Jeep 6 so I am thinking this might be abetter idea than the Ford frame swap. Anyone seen anything like this? Oh yeah, here is the picture of the guts I am looking to buy.

Attached Files:

2. Brucekoukalaka

Brucekoukalaka
    BANNED

NOW you're talking about doing it right!!!!

3. tablebeast

tablebeast

This new donor was a perfectly fine Scout II with barely any rust anywhere and the guy just swapped his tub to a V8 chassis with lower miles instead. SO, he just happens to leave me just about everything I need for a swap. I am going to go over there tomorrow and measure everythign to see how close it will be. I'm most concerned about where the manual tranny will be popping out. Luckily my 55 was a 3 on the tree so there is no hole in the floor yet. Anyway, I will report back with more frame pics and data on whether this swap is going to work once I see it in person.

4. luckystiff

luckystiff

these trucks i beleive are another good candidate for the jag xj suspension swap. i was looking for a 57-60 f100 or a 50s international when i ran up on the 62 unibody f100 a coupla miles from my house a few weeks ago. wouldn't you know it as soon as i bought the unibody a early 57 international popped up on charlotte c'list the very next day(still on there). oh well.

after a long search i found a guy in charlotte who is a good cheap source for the donor jag stuff....ken....

5. tablebeast

tablebeast

Jag IRS? No way, this is a TRUCK and it will be doing hard work, not just looking pretty or worrying about comfort. No lowering, no IRS, heck NO IFS! Tough as nails and ready for a hard day's work day in day out. That is why I am aiming for a bulletproof 6 to power it. If the original 220 International was salvageable I'd just be using it, but since I have to replace it with something, and since I have to redo all the brakes, wiring, etc I figured why not a full frame swap WITH a 6 already in place. Hence the F150 with a 300 or even better, this Scout II with AMC 258.

6. Brucekoukalaka

Brucekoukalaka
    BANNED

I'd go with the Scout frame personally as it is a relatively easy swap and it should look sweet as well as being built tougher than nails. By the way if you need to extend the scout frame it is a fairly easy job considering it is already boxed.

7. EarlKann

EarlKann

If the Scout doesn't work out take a look at a Dodge Dakota for a chassis swap.

8. tablebeast

tablebeast

For the scout frame I looked at the measurements. The track width is close enough (70" for Scout vs 66" for the 55) and will stick out a bit with big tires, but that is OK with me. Also, being the longer Scout II the wheelbase is actually 3 inches longer (118") than the 55 (115"). This works out great because I thought about extending the cab and chopping the top a bit. Those 3 inches might not seem like a lot, but I'm a big guy with a gut and it will be valuable real estate between me and the steering wheel!

9. tablebeast

tablebeast

I have seen a few frame swaps on Internationals that use the Dakotas. I am guessing they are long wheelbase versions that are cut down, because the size doesn't fit close enough for any of them without modding the frame. AND the 6 on the Dakota is that lame 3.9 V6 9 out of 10 times. I wouldn't mind a 318, but they are hard to find cheap around here.

I am really liking the idea of an International on an INTERNATIONAL right now, though!

10. Terraizer

Terraizer

Search Binder Planet, there has been a few L/R/S series trucks mounted to Scout frames posted, mostly 100" WB scouts which looks funny but track width is perfect. I started a 1955 R100 and was going the same route, i used a 1976 Scout Traveler 118" WB frame and just cut all the rear suspension mounting brackets and the shock crossmember off the frame and moved all of it 3"s forward to match the 115" WB of the 1955 R100. I got the frame work done and cab sitting on it then someone wanted the body more then me so it was sold but still have the frame, if i find another body later i will finish the project. Are you sure your Scout chassis is the longer Scout Terra/Traveler 118"WB frame, in the pics it does not look to be one, looks like a 100" WB scout.

11. RFSimmons

RFSimmons

I found a 1995 Dakota with a 318 and a 5 speed. Picked it up for $1500. It runs strong even with 150k miles. I'm putting my '52 IH on it. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379705046.666515.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. tablebeast

tablebeast

I am still searching for the right donor, but if I come across a Dakota like that I will probably jump on it myself. Basically I just DON'T want to stuff it with Chebby or import parts. Ford, Dodge, Jeep, International would all be fine with me. In fact lately I have been talking to a guy with a cheap, slightly-wrecked-in-the-front 72 IH Travelall with the 392 and a close-enough wheelbase. I like the idea of having the IH big boy in there, though there go my plans of it having decent MPG!

13. tablebeast

tablebeast

I have this for sale now if anyone is interested. I am asing $2500 obo. I am open to trade offers on 30's-60's cars and trucks.

14. dragon2

dragon2

RFSimmons..how are you makin out with your Dakota frame swap into your IH?