Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Ford Y Block Choke Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by duke460, Sep 9, 2013.

1. duke460

duke460
    from Wisconsin

I bought this 55 Ford for my wife two years ago. Have gone through one heck of a learning curve, never had a ride without a tool box or tow truck. Have gone through the learning curve of old history and believe we are close to getting this thing drive able.

Right now I am getting exhaust into the bimetal choke housing. It is gumming up the piston and locking the choke in whatever position it feels like. PIA to pop the hood, take off the air cleaner and fiddle with it to start. Wife is not happy. She thinks it should start when you turn the key.

Pulled the carb.
    Pullout the 3/8" metal heat tube. Bought a new one and it is 1" longer going into the manifold, not sure is this means anything?
    Found on line a drawing for a '55 Ford and it has a copper thimble that goes into the manifold and would provide a seal. Bought one, and it will not slide into the manifold.

Running out of ideas? Anyone have a drawing on how this goes together.

Need to make the wife happy!

Attached Files:

2. 2racer

2racer

3. If only my '55 Ford had no back seat or a top...try the various T-bird message boards-they deal with the choke/heat riser thing on a regular basis, especially that mishmash used in '55.

4. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. duke460

duke460
    from Wisconsin

Thanks for the Holley Manual, heat tube is of a different design but he manual will help later. Tried the Ford Barn with no replies. Guess I will go troll the T-Bird sites.
    Fall back is a manual choke cable.

6. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's the casting number on your intake? From the pictures of your heat tube nut, it looks like a '54 unit. The '54 and '55 choke heat tubes are different from each other and are not interchangeable. The '55 tube (the part you bought) is longer than the '54 tube. I'm pretty sure if you check the casting number on your intake you'll find it's a '54. :(