Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1955 Ford Fairlane 272 V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goldchainer$$$, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Goldchainer$$$

Goldchainer$$$
    from L.A.

Hi all, im looking for a company that sells 1955 Ford Fairlane 272 V8 create or rebuilt motors. the one i have is done.
    Thank You
    Andy

2. I don't think your going to find a crate engine,your best bet is to find a reputable builder builder and have your engine rebuilt. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Try Mummert or The y block guy - Tim on here........But this aint no small block chevy.....best bet is rebuilding yours or finding another core to build and swap in

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

You might try Jasper Engines. I seem to remember that you could get older remanufactured engines from them.

5. Those motors have been out of production for 40+ years, so finding a off-the-shelf rebuild will be all but impossible. And finding someone who has the expertise to do one at the majority of rebuilders will be another impossibility. Best bet is someone who specializes in them as mentioned in post 3, but don't expect it to be cheap.

6. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Goldchainer$$$

Goldchainer$$$
    from L.A.

Cool thanks guys.

8. Goldchainer$$$

Goldchainer$$$
    from L.A.

Will a modern Ford 302 bolt up to the stock Ford-O-Matic, in the place of the stock 272?

9. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

10. Goldchainer$$$

Goldchainer$$$
    from L.A.

There's my answer, thank you.

11. Nope, but dropping a matching C4 automatic along with the 302 in place of the Fordomatic isn't at all hard. It's been done numerous times. Economically, it will probably cost about the same (figuring a rebuilt motor/trans, much less if you can find good used) and give you a nice driver. I did this about 15 years ago to replace a broken 292 (broken crank/block, not rebuildable) and my total cost, including the donor car, was under $1K. Be more now, but not a ton more if you shop a bit...

12. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Just plan on spending $4k to $5k on a proper rebuild of a Y-Block. That would include new pistons, bearings, rings, gaskets, carb, headers, dizzy, oil pump, water pump, cam, and intake, plus boring, decking, honing, crank cutting and polishing, and cleaning. Head work can tack on another $1k quickly if you need new guides, valves, seats, and springs. More yet for porting or other performance upgrades. You may be able to get it done a bit cheaper if you reuse most of the original components (intake, carb, dizzy, water pump, exhaust manifolds, etc), but it will depend on the condition of the original parts.

I have a 292 that will run about $3500 to rebuild, and that is after I do all the head work myself.

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

14. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

How do you access and join the forum?
    Thanks
    Jim

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Just click on the link I posted above.

16. sunbeam

sunbeam

If your rebuild the 272 I have a set of old stock pistons .060 pistons you can have for $60 + shipping. I'm done with Y blocks I think.

17. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I just saw a rebuilt 272 for sale either in the HAMB classifieds or the Fordbarn classifieds. Do a search.