Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 ford door latch problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by diemywill, Jun 26, 2012.

1. diemywill

diemywill

I have a 1955 ford 2 door sedan, just got it.
    The doors on both sides(the passenger more than the driver) sticks out when you shut it.
    I was told that the latch needs to be adjusted, but I don't see any way to adjust them. There are three bolts holding the latch in, but the bolts have a drive I have never seen before. Looks like the batman symbol, it couldn't be something simple like a philips.
    Can anyone help me out with this? Same problem and you solved it?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, thank you.

2. Mark T

Mark T

Loosen the three bolts and move the stricker plate in, its that simple.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think its called a clutch head screw and similar to the interior screws on the old chevys only larger and can be bought.

4. diemywill

diemywill

Thank you gentlemen, just need to find that fitting and then I can loosen and adjust.

5. Probably as close as your local Sears tool department. HRP

6. I have the problem of one of the doors not shutting correctly. Seems like I had to pull up then close.

7. Either your hinges are worn and the door is dropping a little when opened or you just need to re adjust the hinges

8. I have gotten away with using a flat head screw driver that fit nice and snug diagnal from one corner to the other

9. Ok I will have to try that. Who sells the new hinge pins and copper bushings that are specific for 55-56 fords.

10. I have never had to buy a hinge rebuild kit so im not sure if it is available. When you open your door grab the door and see if there is play
    with the door up and down. also when you open the door slowly if you feel it drop as it comes off the striker then you know for sure something is wrong

11. Mark T

Mark T

Macs or T-Bird products should have them.

12. If the hinges are worn, you will also see excessive wear on the striker plate where the star wheel thingie on the door part of the latch contacts it.

13. More often than not the problem can be traced to the striker plate shims are completely worn down or missing,,these are designed to keep the striker from sagging or getting out of line.

[​IMG]

New strikers are not expensive,most of the door alignment can be fixed with striker adjustment. HRP

14. Lots of great info! Thanks guys. I think ill just replace all bushings and pins. Better safe then sorry.

15. diemywill

diemywill

Yes thank you very much. I smacked the striker plate with a dead blow and moved it towards the outside of the car and it helped with the door shutting propperly.
    But is still not flush. I'm going to take the door off completely to see if it actually lines up and isn't wonky.
    I might try and adjust the hinges first to see whats up.
    Thanks again.