Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955 ford completed got some questions tho

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bignutz1, Apr 16, 2017.

1. bignutz1

bignutz1

all right, i got the beast running but my gas gauge does not work, my temp gauge does not work, which is stuck on high and power steering which i got from the now closed nd gearheads turns a little stiff. first on the gas gauge, i bought a tank with gauge on ebay which stated it was 6/12 v but being i wired it with an ez wiring kit i bought a 12v sending unit, i am running stock gauges and have read here that if i do that i can run original gauge but put in a 6 volt sending unit, which i did by using the one with tank, now the gauge only shows under quarter tank when it is full. now, i believe my temp gauge stuck on high is related to my gas gauge problem as i have the 351c in it and i put a 12v temp sending unit on, now i think i must put a 6v temp sending unit in it also. i did not put any kind of voltage reducer in line for gauges, is that what i need to get the gas gauge working with sending unit i have in it and will it make my temp gauge work if i put a 6v temp sending unit on. also, i read some horror stories on here on that steering box from gear heads and am wondering if i should change it out with some other brand. thanks again guys for any help here. you always seem to come thru on these tricky problems.

Attached Files:

2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

You may have already fried your 6 volt gauges with no voltage drop to them.
    Did you match your existing gauge's ohm requirements to the new senders?

Nice Ride!

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

'55 Fords were 6 volt, positive ground

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You need to use the original sending units and I used a instrument voltage regulator from a 57 to 90s? Ford car or truck on my 55.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You did not need to change to the 12 volt sender as Ford used 6 volt gauges into the early 80's with these regulators.

7. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Nice looking car too!

8. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Yea, nice old Ford! Good Job!

9. bignutz1

bignutz1

thanks guys, i am going to check my gauges first to see i did not smoke them. thanks again

10. You need to wire in a 56 ford constant voltage relay to make 55 ford gauges work with 12 volts.