Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Fairlane Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jeff Butland, Sep 26, 2018.

1. birdman1

birdman1

my younger twin brothers and I had a 1957 ford custom we removed the 223 six and put in a 1958 Merc 383 with 312HP and a t85 3-speed. lots of fun!

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

good luck with your car. Both my Father and Grandfather had 55's at the same time when I was a kid. Wish one of them had been saved.

loudbang likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Never heard of a mid 50's Ford with a 55 Chev clip ever. I wonder if it rides better or worse or no difference from the stock Ford clip? Very cool car though.

jeepsterhemi likes this.
  4. Jeff Butland

Jeff Butland

Been a while since I updated. I finished the floors, installed some seatbelts and just been doing some overall maintenance on her. I did a quick clean and brush on clearcoat to seal in the patina. Just having fun driving it and working on it. I bought a new complete wiring harness, so that is on the list of things to do. I also bought new rubber for the windshield and rear window. Definitively nervous to the rubber weatherstripping on the windshield. IMG_5880.jpg IMG_5978.jpg InkedIMG_5881_LI.jpg InkedIMG_5882_LI.jpg

6sally6, kidcampbell71 and RHRH3P like this.
  5. melwil100

melwil100

Might consider the headliner before the rear window as the window needs to be removed to replace the headliner.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep on the Windows... Forget the clear coat rust (patshit) crap. Fix it all and paint it. 55-6 Fords are great to see on the hyway.

7. The windshield lower trim and possibly the back window lower trim may have to go in with the glass and gasket all together.

jimmy six likes this.
  8. Neat car. I need to do the weatherstripping on my front and rear windows as well, but am dreading it...

9. Jeff Butland

Jeff Butland

I spent about $30 on the DIY seal and clearcoat. Didn't take too long either. Paint and body is the last thing I'll work on. Anyone add power steering to a 55? I don't mind not having it, but the whole steering setup seems sketchy.

The interior is stripped out and no headliner so I don't have to worry about that. I got some good ideas how to do the windshield weatherstripping. We'll see how it goes.

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Bad News for Ford guys, Goodell Fabrication has recently closed up they were the company that made the replacement cross members for decades I guess the owner retired. We have the blue prints in a file in the 1952-59 Ford Social Group available to members who want to weld them up.