Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 chevy survivor "barnfind" Gasser project" update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassertruck, Nov 21, 2009.

1. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

in this pic you can see the the cowl was clearly cut (hacked) for a big block tunnel ram or other. we are going to leave it there just clean it up and seal the fire wall up

Attached Files:

2. One pic is the '63 March Meet as a C/G'r, look close and you can see the "C/G" on the passenger window. The other pic is San Fernando '67ish as a
    B/G'r, you can obviously see that on the window. Both pics are stock front end with ball joint spacers and the upper arm mounting point moved up. The car was taken apart shortly after the '67 season and sent to Richard Ruth too update with straight axle etc, however it was sold and replaced with a '68 Camaro before it was raced by us with the straight axle setup.
    This car was a repeat winner at San Fernando, Fontana and runner-upped in B/G at '65 March Meet, all with the A-arm front end. 56 smokers-1.jpg

56 @Pond-2.jpg

3. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

55 Gassers are real cool. On my list of dream cars.

Joe

4. Ruiner

Ruiner

Are you seriously only here just to stir shit up? We can all agree that your car is or will be a gasser, whether it raced in the past or not is irrelevant...what's relevant to the issue at hand is you trying to pass this thing off as period correct by the terminology of survivor and barnfind gasser...it's a modern gasser, and will never be anything else the way it's being built...that is the issue we have with this...it's like throwing an EFI crate motor into a '56 'Vette and calling it a restoration...

5. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

I agree!!! You couldn't have said it better. Bravo!!
    Also, it may have been raced, it may have had a big block, but that doesn't mean it was a gasser.

6. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

it not my car for one

7. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

8. Ruiner

Ruiner

But it IS your build thread, and it's also your attitude that started this whole shitstorm...you came on here telling us all how nobody ran 4 spds back in the day and talking smack, and we tried to set you straight on what was what in the world of vintage racing...you're more concerned with being right than learning and making amends...we've all tried helping you in our sarcastic way, but you just keep stirring the pot...just because someone at some point hacked up the firewall to fit another motor doesn't mean this car was ever raced, it just means someone hacked up the firewall to fit another motor into it...by the same token, just because someone stuck a straight axle under it at some point in its life doesn't mean it ever saw a racetrack...a LOT of this could have been avoided had you just called it a '55 Chev gasser build and filled in the history of the car on the first post, but with the label in the title and the comment you made about wanting it to look like a barnfind, we were gauranteed to call you out on that faux pas...to reiterate, it's a gasser, just not one that looks anything close to a barn find or a survivor gasser...yes, it'll be a fun car, just leave the fake nostalgia terms out of it...

9. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

I really like 55 gassers a lot. When I was kid in the mid-60's hanging out at the local speed shop, a 55 with straight axle front end used to come into the shop a lot. It had a flip nose, bucket seats, a roll bar, and the nastiest small block in town. I'll never forget that car and especially how cool it looked with no front bumper.

And then there was Bill Douglas with is Purple Haze 55 Chevy, one of the very fastest drag cars in the area. He ran a big block in that 55 as soon as big blocks were invented. He would give his right nut to get that one back again.

It's really weird, of all of the cars that I have owned, the 55 has always been one of my all time favorites that I never owned. Anyone want to swap a 62 Biscayne for a 55? I think I might need a 55 after seeing this one. It is so cool.

Joe

10. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

i got jumped for the title get over it. It's a survivor being made into a gasser get over it

11. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

62 biscayne's are nice too

12. Ruiner

Ruiner

You got jumped for the title and your comments and your ability to not own up to it, check post #11 and think about how you'd expect us to react to that? You made a comment about a Willys Pro Street being the biggest slap in the face to you, well, someone building a fake barnfind gasser '55 Chevy that looks nothing like an authentic gasser besides having the stance, that's a slap in the face to those of us that live for preserving the history and style of the gasser era...you tell me to get over it, I say get over yourself and eat some humble pie...we're always going to be here to help you out and give you advice, but not many are going to be willing to if you keep up with the attitude...keep up the good work man, and hopefully you got some more progress pics soon...

13. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

i posted on here saying im helping a friend build a 55 gasser from a clean 55 that survived all these years could have been in a barn, stored,what ever. what i did not do is ask any one's opinion about how we should build this car. If you dont like what we are doing oh well go search for something else.

14. Ruiner

Ruiner

Hey, you came into our sandbox to play, we didn't ask for your opinion on how we should ignore you or how we all need to lighten up and have fun...why are you kids these days such arrogant jackasses? I'm gonna go build the Pro Street Willys I've always dreamed of owning...I'm gonna make it look like it's been sitting in a barn since 1991, complete with faux dust on the pastel turquoise paint and everything...it's gonna be sweet...wish me luck!...

15. Gator

Gator

Survived what, exactly?

If you just mean that it's still around and hasn't been crushed, that makes every car on here a 'survivor'.

16. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

the paint and body,windows,seats,trim

17. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

anyways more pics to come

18. falfas55

falfas55

Hey Rob,Good luck on your car going back together. Hope to see it soon in it's new color.I used to run around with a guy who had an orange 55.It was a tough ass car.FALFA

19. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

So, let me get this straight, it is a 55 Chevy being built in a Gasser style and not a real 55 Gasser that was found in a barn, right?

Then lets call it what it is, a Gasser Style build. Or am I missing something?

20. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

OH MAN that dose suck.sorry to here about that i dont wish that on anybody. cant wait to see it when it gets reborn

21. Ruiner

Ruiner

Hey, don't rock the boat, we don't need any of that silly logic or common sense 'round these parts :rolleyes: :D

22. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Finally, this pissin match might be done....... sure does get sickening.

23. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

i used the genuine suspension spacers on mine . No bump steer on big wheelies!

24. brocluno

brocluno

I'm wondering as this Gasser goes together, what class it's aimed at? Could run 8" tires under in D, E, ... class. Any MP car that was missing a front bumper had to run Gas Class. Same if the intake was non-factory like an Offy dual 4 barrel. You could get pushed into a Gas Class for a pretty small infraction back in the day. So I'm wondering what class this will be? Need more details on what the final bits will be?

25. yruhot

yruhot

Hey there gassertruck, looks like your are doing a nice job on your version of a gasser. Love the photos. I'm just glad you moved on from the mini trucks. Just kidding, i'm sure you learn a lot of skills there that you are using today. Just keep pressin on with the build and I'm sure you'll get lots of thumbs up with it. Lots of good info on building these on this site. Nice to see you younger guys taking on such a project. Watching these things run back in the day was so cool.Have funwithit.YRUHOT..........Doug

26. gasser-a-go-go

gasser-a-go-go

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

27. Car is going to get interior soon.

28. just to add to the shit storm ( because that's the kind of guy I am ) it's not done 'til you radius the wheelwells.

29. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Nice job with building the '55 gasser. It looks great!

30. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

gasser-a-go-go

Better name and

Much better attitude......<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_8441904", true); </SCRIPT>

Glad you got the car done ,

looks killer.