Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1955 Chevy Gassers Owners Wanted? Post them Pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Tyrrell, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

2. biscaynes

biscaynes

yep, same here! :cool:

3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Peter. I am envious of any of you guys that were able to hang on to your cars over the years. I always had to sell one to finance the next one.
    I would have fallen in love with it in 1970, and it does the same thing to me today(as these other guys have said, "what's not to get?"). I have a Tasca Ford emblem on the dash of my Cobra. If they ask who/what is Tasca Ford, I know instantly they don't "Get it". Love the white firewall .:)

4. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. My Uncles......[​IMG]

6. What does one of these cars weigh with say a 9", TH400, skinnies, and a SBC with aluminum heads? Can I get a range?

7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would guess around 3200 -3400 lbs.

8. mine weighs 3150 with small block and muncie with stock rear end

9. biscaynes

biscaynes

from the '73 gators thread....

[​IMG]

10. Thanks guys, of my top 10 dream cars (one is a Merc got one of those in '08), another is a '55 Chevy street/strip car. I'm looking at one right now that is a roller.

Why are you guys all going with 30" tall tires, as opposed to 28's or 29's? Just wondering.

11. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

I went with 30-inch Hursts to get the pie crust and circa-1964 look but yeah, they are a little too tall for my setup. I have 4.30s in back but it needs either 4.56/4.88s or a lower 1st gear to get better launch-ability. Drives just fine but a little more oomph off the line would make it perfect. Click on my profile to see pics of my '55.

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the right "look",keeping with the 60's theme. Love your Merc by the way(read the entire thread last night). That is the final car on my bucket list(my short list anyway) and I am looking for a decent 49-51 Merc right now.

13. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great looking 55. Nice wheel/tire combo andlove the Hugger Orange(?).

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  14. Thanks Baron, I might be slinging questions your way if I get this roller. I grew up in Brookline and Quincy by the way.

Are one-piece fiberglass front ends "cool" for these cars?

15. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Check pic in avatar. My dad's D/Gasser from the 60s. He bought the car when I was 6 weeks old. I still have pretty much the whole car in pieces. I plan on putting it back together this winter and have it running by spring. It won't be totally period correct but will have as many of the still existing original parts on it. I plan on locating original type engine/trans that is long gone and once I get the car in one piece and runable, I will swap it out later.

For now I will have an all aluminum 427 ci small block with Crower injection and a modern powerglide because that is what I have handy. The car was originally 283/327 4 speed car. It does still have an original Hemi Superbird Dana rear axle under it. I plan on keeping it for now. It previously had a 57-64 Olds rear. I have the original wheelie bars, wheels, interior sheet metal, all body parts, complete front axle and steering, engine mounts, and trans mounts, etc all hand bult by my dad and his friends decades ago. My dad is 71 years old and his health is not the best. He would really like to see it run again. The pic above is from 1979. The last time it ran at all was about 1982. The car was run in central Pennsylvania in the 60s and early 70s and was run and western PA and eastern Ohio in the later 70s. Tracks were Tipton, Green Pine, Beaver Springs, Numedia, Keystone, Quaker City, and more I can't think of right now.

I am missing the Moon tank, rear leaf springs, and fenderwell headers. They are probably the biggest pieces I still need.

I want to do a picture thread on here of the reassembly. Would anyone be interested? I have a ton of original pics I need to scan and put on here if appropriate. What would be the best way to go about starting a thread when I am ready?

16. I use Photobucket to host pictures. If you use something like that, create a folder for the car and then you shouldn't move the pics around as you will have broken links then if you post them.

17. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Thanks! Actually, it's a popular early '60s color, "Flame Red." It does look more orange in direct sunlight like this but in the shade it's a little more red.

18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grew up about an hour away from me. I am about 40 miles north of Boston in Manchester/Gloucester. Glass front ends are cool. Nice to get a decent one that fits and line up well with the cowl with out a ton of work.
    Just click on start a new thread and name it something like "Restoring my Dad's 55 Gasser" and we will all find it. Like John, I also use Photobucket. Load all your pictures there and post them as you go along. The car looks great in the picture. Be nice to see it up and running again , and I'm sure your Dad would love it. Good luck with the "restoration" this winter. Looking forward to the pictures and progress.
    Orange or Red...still looks perfect.

19. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

I went with 63 impala 409/ac springs, egay ball joint spacers and shock extensions.

[​IMG]
    004.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty much the same set up I installed on my first 55 back in the summer of 1968(my first car). Lot easier ( and cheaper ) than installing a straight axle. :D

[​IMG]

21. biscaynes

biscaynes

yes! please do a picture thread, me and alot of other '55 fanatics would love to see them! ;)

22. Butch M

Butch M

Man I would that would be so cool........

23. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

OK.. I will do it. My dad still has most of the old pics and I need to scan them. I also have some small current projects to clean up before I dive into this. My goal is to bring the car into my main shop before the snow flies in Michigan this fall. Hopefully much sooner. Stay tuned while I get things in line. I hope I can meet you guy's expectations... LOL

:D

24. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

some real nice rides on here,.,,heres mine....461.,dart heads,.M22.,

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  25. bullittrob- nice job! That really looks like the original Two Lane Blacktop '55.

-Dean

26. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even the paint is perfect. Nice job. :)

27. VooDoo Child 56

VooDoo Child 56
    from Jersey

bullitrob, any details on the sliding side windows? I am going to put plastic in my 56' but not sure if I will make them roll up or the "Two Lane Sliders"

28. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

my windows are two 3mm peices of laminated glass,.i didnt go with the plastic because of the scratches they get,..,thanks to all for the comments,.i knoiw you guys over the pond have plenty of tlb clones but theres none here,.well untill now...:p

29. munciemike

munciemike
    from WI

30. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Car looks great. Love the stance and the wheels and tires.